Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

What pleased me today was going to dinner with my better half and eating at Portillo's. The dogs, burgers, fries, and pop was great!

You're killing me here, Nick. Portillo's!?!?!? I love their beef. I was planning to attend a ViêtNow convention in May over at Pheasant Run, but Marcia will still be recovering from shoulder surgery and my recent bout with internal bleeding and future tests are gong to prevent us from taking the trip. We were so looking forward to Portillo's beef and some Gianorio's pizza (Winfield).

MVC001S-vi.jpg

H A P P Y E A S T E R

One of our family traditions is that I make Devil Eggs for Easter. It started when I worked in the deli when I was 18.Two of us boiled a mess of eggs to make egg salad, and when we found out we had double what we needed, the boss said, "Oh well, lets make some devil eggs". They turned out to be a best seller, so I made a lot of them and experimented with the recipe over the last 38 years! You can tell I'm serious about this since I own four of these professional devil egg carriers! :rolleyes:

When the kids were little I started putting a random face on an egg or two per batch. And it kinda went from there.... the kids are all grown up but still want faces on their Easter devil eggs. And my sister would send me home if I showed up without them!

So we are in New Jersey this weekend, enjoying time with our girls and going for Easter dinner at my sister's house! Best of the holiday to everyone!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Yesterday, I finished up the carb retrofit on the '89 GMC pickup. '89 was GM's first year for EFI on their C15 trucks, and it worked OK until about 2 years ago, quit entirely 6 months ago...when it went into total meltdown mode. Simply not smart to repair the EFI. GM no longer supports the electronics and all that's available new is Chinese aftermarket garbage. Buying cheap or junkyard electronic bits is a sure-fire way to get stuck by the side of the road.

As the vehicle's age now puts it out of the mandatory emission-inspection-to-get-a-tag requirement, I decided to fix it with parts on-hand.

I used the stock EFI intake manifold and machined my own adapter to fit a 52 year old Rochester 2GC carb that hadn't run in over 30 years, and was pretty rough (rebuilt it, of course). Ditched the computer-controlled-advance distributor in favor of a '76 vintage HEI unit. Avoided the expensive and "necessary" bypass fuel pressure regulator, or the "necessity" of replacing the fuel pump (EFI runs much higher fuel line pressure than a carb needs, and will overwhelm the needle valve and flood the carb) by making up a simple T in the line before the cheapo pressure regulator, so excess simply runs back to the tank, while the carb gets its required 3-4 psi.

Got lucky and found a really cheap Edelbrock air filter adapter that mated the OEM GMC filter base to the Rochester. Used the old EGR-valve location on the manifold for a heat-source for the automatic choke on the 2GC too.

Truck now starts on the first twist of the key, runs smooth at idle, and pulls like a freight train. If anything, it runs stronger than it did with EFI, as I was able to crank in more ignition timing. The exhaust actually smells cleaner, too.

So glad I just did it my own way, instead of going by all the internet "expert" advice posted by, apparently, folks who have never done it (so typical). Stupidity like "it won't run with a carb because it has a fuel-injection cam" , recommendations to "machine the block for an old-school mechanical fuel pump, and replace the cam to get one that has the pump-drive eccentric", and all the other "necessary" parts like an intake manifold, fuel-pump, bypass pressure regulator, aftermarket air filter, etc...that aren't.

I figure the old girl now has at least another 100,000 miles in her, and she's repairable by the side of the road in Podunk on a Sunday afternoon. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

MVC001S-vi.jpg

H A P P Y E A S T E R

One of our family traditions is that I make Devil Eggs for Easter. It started when I worked in the deli when I was 18.Two of us boiled a mess of eggs to make egg salad, and when we found out we had double what we needed, the boss said, "Oh well, lets make some devil eggs". They turned out to be a best seller, so I made a lot of them and experimented with the recipe over the last 38 years! You can tell I'm serious about this since I own four of these professional devil egg carriers! :rolleyes:

When the kids were little I started putting a random face on an egg or two per batch. And it kinda went from there.... the kids are all grown up but still want faces on their Easter devil eggs. And my sister would send me home if I showed up without them!

So we are in New Jersey this weekend, enjoying time with our girls and going for Easter dinner at my sister's house! Best of the holiday to everyone!

Those are great looking Devil Eggs. And if I was part of your family, I too would hope you continued the tradition of decorating them that way. It's a nice little thing I'm sure makes people happy. Keep it going.

Scott

You know, we get hungry while at NNL East. Do you suppose you could have some of those ready for every attendee at the show this year? It would be much appreciated.....

Peter, I'd have to start making them now, and by the show some of them would be two weeks old! :blink:

And we have a major league cool surprise for everyone this year! No telling, no hints! Much better than an egg! :lol:

Edited by Tom Geiger

I had a pleasing weekend! First, I dropped off the NNL East printing order at the printers, glad that's done! Then we spent the weekend at my NJ house with my daughters. Visited my accountant on Saturday.... good news! I'm getting a refund... bad news! it's equal to my quarterly tax payment due on April 15th! Oh well, easy come...

Daughter number one (the one with the big ring) joined us for lunch on Saturday. Daughter number two joined us for dinner, then we all watched a movie together. Got to sit with a doggie sleeping on my lap. I miss that!

Today we had coffee together and then drove to my sister's house for brunch. Served up my famous devil eggs... didn't have to do the outdoor egg hunt since the youngest child is now 14. Had a nice time since we don't see them all that often.

Great weekend, nothing to upset me at all! Recharged my batteries since the next two weeks will be a bit crazy! B)

Edited by Tom Geiger

i had the privillage of spending a couple of hours yesterday talking with a 93 year old vet from WW2. i do 99% of the cooking in the house(matter of survival) and cook for all the major holidays. i whole family comes over. my oldest nieces husband asked if his mother and father could come..sure.. then he asked me is his grandmother and her friend could join us as well. they both live alone.. absolutely... long story short 19 showed up for dinner. one of them being this very nice 93 year old man who ate like a horse went back for seconds :D .after we finished eating i was cleaning up and he joined me in the kitchen and for the next 2 hours he told me about his life and being in the 1rst and 3rd army under patton and fighting on utah beach and at the battle of the bulge . it was was an honor to spend that time listening to his stories... definitlely one of my top 10 moments

i had the privillage of spending a couple of hours yesterday talking with a 93 year old vet from WW2. i do 99% of the cooking in the house(matter of survival) and cook for all the major holidays. i whole family comes over. my oldest nieces husband asked if his mother and father could come..sure.. then he asked me is his grandmother and her friend could join us as well. they both live alone.. absolutely... long story short 19 showed up for dinner. one of them being this very nice 93 year old man who ate like a horse went back for seconds :D .after we finished eating i was cleaning up and he joined me in the kitchen and for the next 2 hours he told me about his life and being in the 1rst and 3rd army under patton and fighting on utah beach and at the battle of the bulge . it was was an honor to spend that time listening to his stories... definitlely one of my top 10 moments

Spending time with that man was a blessing from God. That generation is leaving us at a rapid pace now. Soon none will be left and all the future generations will have are the written stories.

We must never forget what they accomplished and the sacrifices they made.

G

... That generation is leaving us at a rapid pace now. Soon none will be left and all the future generations will have are the written stories.

We must never forget what they accomplished and the sacrifices they made.

G

Agreed. Back in the dim days of my somewhat misspent youth, when I still consumed prodigious quantities of adult beverages, many of the older guys who frequented the establishments I imbibed in were WW II vets. Fascinating people to talk to...rather, to listen to... for hours on end. They spoke of a time, a spirit of national unity, and awful fighting conditions in a war that very few people alive today could even imagine.

The sacrifices they made to keep, not just the USA, but the entire Western world relatively free from tyranny are so far beyond the ability of anyone without some military background to grasp...so sad to see all of the freedoms and rights Americans take so much for granted being...taken for granted...and so much divisiveness and self-interest in the country now.

I guess that without a common evil to fight, it's just too easy for us to focus on trivial things, and to forget the price so many paid for all of us here now.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Agreed. Back in the dim days of my somewhat misspent youth, when I still consumed prodigious quantities of adult beverages, many of the older guys who frequented the establishments I imbibed in were WW II vets. Fascinating people to talk to...rather, to listen to... for hours on end. They spoke of a time, a spirit of national unity, and awful fighting conditions in a war that very few people alive today could even imagine.

The sacrifices they made to keep, not just the USA, but the entire Western world relatively free from tyranny are so far beyond the ability of anyone without some military background to grasp...so sad to see all of the freedoms and rights Americans take so much for granted being...taken for granted...and so much divisiveness and self-interest in the country now.

I guess that without a common evil to fight, it's just too easy for us to focus on trivial things, and to forget the price so many paid for all of us here now.

Amen, Brother Bill. Well said, profoundly true, yet . . . sadly . . . probably totally beyond the comprehension of so many youngsters who have no clue what you're talking about.

That's the real tragedy.

When I was in my late 20s, I worked with a 70 something engineer who refused to retire. He was a navigator on a WWII bomber and told us the story about how they got shot down behind enemy lines. Fascinating story and we all told him that he needed to write a book. He just scoffed it off saying that a lot of guys had it tougher!

i will not do this story justice but i'd like try and tell it...the gentlemens name is tommy.... he was a miner in Pennsylvania before he joined the army . he was a dynamiter . he dug the holes and planted the explosives in the mines . when he was in the 1st army they were setting up the field artillery and the demolishens crew was gone.. they needed to blow up a hedge row . word was sent into the ranks if anyone new anything about explosives... tommy said yes and for the next two days he was in charge of blowing up hedge rows to move artillery pieces . he was 18 years old.... name one 18 year old capable of doing this today... there may be a few but they are few and very far between.... hate to admit this but, talking to tommy gave me goose bumps.. it was a different time when tommy grew up....sorry to say those days are long gone and never to return.

Edited by BubbaJoe

Nice looking deviled eggs, Tom. We too had a fabulous dinner here Sunday, with this (hickory smoked grilled turkey), being the centerpiece. Lots of hard boiled eggs too. The hickory smoking gives the turkey a very dark bark, but oh my goodness, is it delightful.

tur%20002_zpsm4xpp9eo.jpg

eggs%20003_zpsyvvtdfu5.jpg