Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell Datsun reissue

The trucks went from Datsun to Nissan in the 83 model year. They made some front end changes too, bumper, valance and grille were all tweaked with . They also lost the vents on the hood for the switchover year.

I'm excited to see the kit return to the fold, its simple but builds up well. I'm thinking some lift and the tires from the jeep Rubicon kit. The kits 6 lug wheels would be accurate too.

The hardbody model of truck started in the 86 1/2 model year and the long bed regular cab hardbodies were dropped after 89

I have one of the original Snap-tite kits of the same truck (or it might have been a reissue by then). The box art shows it painted as the red-white-blue Nissan Racing colors used in desert racing for all of their factory sponsored trucks. The kit didn't have any decals with it even though it was factory sealed in plastic (or someone resealed it after stealing the decals). Does anyone know if there are aftermarket red-white-blue Nissan Racing decals out there? I'd love to build the new/reissue in racing colors.

Something puzzling me about this kit- the hood vents. All the 720's I've ever seen either had slatted black plastic hood vents or no hood vents- the kit has hood vents that look like they're supposed to be cut into the hood. Is that a factory setup?

EDIT: Never mind! I did finally find a pic of one with the style of hood shown in the kit- so I know it's a factory hood. Also found some decent reference pics (truck in the thread's a King Cab, though).

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56483-1980-720-beater-project-pics-bonus-project-and-pics/

Edited by Chuck Most

Did Datsun / Nissan run the same basic I-4 in their trucks throughout the 70s-90s like Toyota did with the 22R?

I've got the older (late 70s?) Datsun kit that came with 2 dirt bikes. Monogram put a Chevy small block in that kit instead of the Datsun 4 cyl. I'm wondering if the engine from this kit would be an appropriate swap to build a stock version of the older truck.

No such luck; there were 3 or 4 different 4 cyl's used during that time. The 70's trucks had an L20 similar to what was used in the 510; early to mid 80's used a NAPS-Z 4 cyl followed by the KA24E that was also used in the early 240SX.

• 1 month later...

I have been a fanatic of the 720 for awhile, and owned one of the baddest 4x4 versions of them around(at least in my opinion). These were product from 80-86. 86 1/2 they introduced the hardbody, much like the 70 1/2 Camaro. This kit would represent an 81 or 82 model. MAYBE an 80. In 83 they changed the front suspension and diff. Also the tailights were different, as was the grill. The main difference between the 81/82 and the 80's is the By Nissan underneath the DATSUN name on the front fenders, and on this kit you can see that little rectangle where the by Nissan goes.

The L20 and the NAPS, and the KA for that matter all used the same block. It was the front cover and heads that differed mostly, along with some bolt hole locations for the front cover and machining for the front cover mounting surface. The 720's all had the NAPS Z engines. This kit represents an L20. If you want to model the NAPS just change the head, and valve cover, and swap the intake to the other side. The exhaust is correct. I can post pics of my 1:1 later.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm starting one of these right now. I had two at some point when I was a kid, and I happen to have the original Goodyear Wrangler tires I will be using instead of the blankwalls.

First order of business was tossing the chrome wheels, air cleaner and intake into some Simple Green.

These are the stock wheels, but they are white steelies. The air cleaner should be a light blue, and the intake bare aluminum. The valve cover is also aluminum. I plan on painting it, then wiping the paint off the lettering.

Mods so far, I cut off the worst spare tire ever, and cut off the license plate mount, which will be recessed more.

I replaced the gap in the frame and will mount one of the blankwalls as the spare.

Edited by Zarana-X

My second one will have a solid front axle swap (from a Monogram K10), and has had the goofy molded spare tire removed as well. Might go with the BFG Krawlers from Fireball Modelworks. I also cut away those butt-ugly stock fender flares.

002_zps54fffe89.jpg

I agree whit you, this is the way! I also like your take on the flares.

If anyone's building this stock, this is the correct engine color, slight bluish green:
datsun%20engine%20true%20blue_green.jpgThese are what the stock wheels should look like. White steelies with a black center cap:

1982Datsun720KingCabPickup001-1.jpg

The "D" shaped divots in the kits wheels need to be drilled out, but I don't think its doable without screwing up the wheel lip.

The kit is a 1980 Datsun 720 model. It is the last year to use the L20b engine. It is the only year to have the hood vents near the window, after that they had black plastic vents on the side near the fenders.

Edited by Zarana-X