Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rob's resin making thread

Awesome. Are you the same guy that was working on a resin master for a 1/24 or 1/25 scale Futurliner a couple of years back? I cannot remember who it was on here. I remember sending him a PM about progress and possible prices but never got a response. Are you making this just for yourself or do you plan to market it? I I am definitely interested.

Awesome. Are you the same guy that was working on a resin master for a 1/24 or 1/25 scale Futurliner a couple of years back? I cannot remember who it was on here. I remember sending him a PM about progress and possible prices but never got a response. Are you making this just for yourself or do you plan to market it? I I am definitely interested.

Thank you. No, this is all new. I don't know who that was, but I remember the one by Joel Dirnberger. That was when I was in high school almost 20 years ago

I'm doing this for myself, but I might sell a few since I have the molds. With as many parts as this has, it will probably be the most expensive 1/24th scale resin kits in history. Car guys don't spend as much as other modeling genres. I doubt I can sell very many

Edited by robertburns

Cool, thanks for the info. I thought it was an SLA model and I was hoping it might have been from a Form1 or a B9, but you had it printed on one of the big boys :D

Yeah, not a fan of desktop units. That'll change as the technology gets better though. I like the printing services since many of my peices are larger than the bed size.

Thank you Karl!

Hi Len. Not sure about making this a full kit yet. I'm doing a few for myself. A stock one, a fire engine, and an 8 car transporter semi truck loaded with Motorama cars. I might do a few built ups to sell to pay for the project.

Not sure if a kit could work but I'm thinking about it. It's huge and would take a lot of silicone. I've had plenty of items that people said they wanted. I made it available and when it came to order, I got little response.

Sci Fi guys can spend $1000 on a resin kit without a flinch. Plane and Armor models spend less but still pay quite a bit. Car guys might complain at a $30 resin kit. I can tell you with the size of this (it's like a bus) a resin kit would be in the hundreds.

No offense intended (I'm a car guy first). It's just the reality of the market. Car guys don't spend as much as other genre modelers do. I would have to think carefully about a kit because it is a lot of labor, time, and monely invested on my end. I can't afford to make a bunch and sell a few.

I would consider one in a smaller scale like 1/43rd.

Thanks, Rob

Cool project Rob. I had to do a search to find out what a Futurliner was/is. I wouldn't be interested in purchasing a kit of this vehicle. However based on the quality of what I have seen so far if you were to produce a 1/24 scale vintage Ferrari/Porsche/Aston Martin/etc. race car, I'm in.

Edited by afx

Thank you Karl!

Hi Len. Not sure about making this a full kit yet. I'm doing a few for myself. A stock one, a fire engine, and an 8 car transporter semi truck loaded with Motorama cars. I might do a few built ups to sell to pay for the project.

Not sure if a kit could work but I'm thinking about it. It's huge and would take a lot of silicone. I've had plenty of items that people said they wanted. I made it available and when it came to order, I got little response.

Sci Fi guys can spend $1000 on a resin kit without a flinch. Plane and Armor models spend less but still pay quite a bit. Car guys might complain at a $30 resin kit. I can tell you with the size of this (it's like a bus) a resin kit would be in the hundreds.

No offense intended (I'm a car guy first). It's just the reality of the market. Car guys don't spend as much as other genre modelers do. I would have to think carefully about a kit because it is a lot of labor, time, and monely invested on my end. I can't afford to make a bunch and sell a few.

I would consider one in a smaller scale like 1/43rd.

Thanks, Rob

I hear ya Rob. If you don't do the 1/24 the 1.43 would be a good alternative. Keep me notified when you get ready to sell either size.

This is a totally cool project and love what you are doing here. I am looking forward to seeing this come together. I have to ask what CAD system do you use? I use Solidworks for the parts I draw up for my builds. Very nice work you are doing.

This is a totally cool project and love what you are doing here. I am looking forward to seeing this come together. I have to ask what CAD system do you use? I use Solidworks for the parts I draw up for my builds. Very nice work you are doing.

Thanks Chris and James!

I work with 3 CAD guys. Two uses Solidworks, the other Rhino.

Rob what would be the price of a printed part be compared to resin parts? You do not have to give numbers but I am wondering the price difference . Not that I will buy one but wondering for reference .

Hey Andy,

Sort of comparing apples to oranges. Or actually apples to applejuice. They both are different and serve two different uses. Both work together to make a part.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that SLA is not archival. It will droop, warp, and sag over time if not supported. I've had parts last for 8 years when supported well. If it warps, then it can be unwarped. But it's too late if used in a built model. I use SLA to make the master, I then mold and cast it for a model. If an SLA part is backed up (like glued to styrene or backed with fiberglass it will hold up I think).

I don't know much about Polyjet. I'll find out if that is archival.

FDM (Fused Deposit Modeling) and SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) are achival. FDM has less detail. Good for general shapes. Easy to putty, sand, then add external details. SLS is horrible to sand. The only way I've found it to dip it or paint it with super thin super glue. Then sand, primer, putty, sand, primer, putty,sand, primer, putty,sand, primer, putty.

There are other materials out there. I recommend researching each one to see what works best for you.

The SLA cab/bumper cost me $308 with the employee discount. At Shapeways it would have been Frosted Ultra Detail (SLA) $509, White Detail (SLA lower resolution but good for models - just more sanding) $433, White Strong Flexible (SLS) $131.

The mold material was about $95.

Each casting is about $25 worth of materials including spilled resin and color tint. Each time I make a casting, the mold cost gets split, so if I make one casting is $120. If I make 20 is it $30 each.

Each casting takes me about 1 hour to clean/assemble the mold, mix/degass/pour resin, vacuum pot it, pressure pot it, demold casting, clip and sand pour gates, and remove flash. My garage kit rate is $25/hour (which is cheap for this industry) so the casting will cost $145 for one or $55 each for 20.

Add the cost of the master $308 plus 8 hours of finishing/painting (at $15 per hour) $120 = $428.

All together $548 for one casting or $76.40 each for 20 castings.

So to answer your question,

3D printing a higher quality SLA model (that you have to back up) is $308 compared to $145 for a one off resin.

Lowest quality WSF is $131 (which you have to sand like crazy) compared to a one off resin at $145.

Cheers - Rob

Oh and forgot. With the resin, one has to find another way of doing the master if they don't use 3D printing and add that cost to a resin

Scratchbuilding would include the time/labor cost

Conversion an existing part would include the time/labor cost

Finding an old out of production kit would include the cost of the kit plus any prep work needed (like repairs, paint stripping, etc)