Model Cars Magazine Forum

humbrol metal cote

I think they may have some that can and some that cannot be polished. I have some and the directions indicate that it can be. If yours is the same as I have, I think you will be happy with it. I love the stuff I have.

Edited by Kris Morgan

Thanks! My LHS informed me that "Model Master Metalizer" paint could not be imported into Canada. I loved the stuff, but if I can't get it, guess I'll try something else. Then they told me of the Humbrol paint, and that it could be polished out. Just picked it up today and haven't had the opportunity to try it out. Do you have any additional suggestions on how to get good results? I appreciate you info!

I like this stuff s bit more than the metallizer. It can easily be brush painted. I do prime the surface I lay down two coats about 15 minutes apart and then allow about 30 minutes or more for it to dry. If you wait longer, there is no harm done. Once dry, I polish it out with an old soft T-shirt. If you do polish through, simply start over. Hope this helps.

I'm nuts about the stuff! Like Kris wrote, dries fast.

I have 4 shades, polished aluminum, flat aluminum, a middle gray, and black. I put a couple of drops in a tin lid, and mix them however you want. I polish with a soft brush mounted on a wheel using a small dental hand piece. Stuff looks just like metal!

Michael

PS: I think the shades are as I mentioned, there is no color written on the tin. They just look that way to me.

Thanks Mike! Hope to check that out soon. Have you heard anything about Metalizers not being allowed into Canada? Or was it my LHS?

I heard the same thing from my LHS, which would be typical (like the Model Master lacquers we no longer get). I've never seen them anywhere else on this side of the border, and the cans I bought have no french labeling on them.

Thanks so much "pack rat" ! I took the drive to Dundas Valley Hobby shop and found Metalizer paint there. They are almost out of it, and will be unable to get more. The gentleman at the hobby shop thinks it's unfair to model builders to disallow certain items to be sent across the border. I agree!

Thanks so much "pack rat" ! I took the drive to Dundas Valley Hobby shop and found Metalizer paint there. They are almost out of it, and will be unable to get more. The gentleman at the hobby shop thinks it's unfair to model builders to disallow certain items to be sent across the border. I agree!

Happy to help.

Yes, it's too bad Testors chooses not to market certain products in Canada. This has been happening since the early 80's when we couldn't buy Car Colors on this side of the border...don't blame Testors, blame our labeling laws.