Model Cars Magazine Forum

So we finally get a Starsky and Hutch Torino, How about series of TV kits ?

I think the Rockford files are a little to far back for a new product. If you were to go and ask anyone under 30 about the show I'm sure many would give you a strange look. That and the car isn't as Iconic as other movie cars that have been done before. I could see a Mirth mobile doing OK and maybe even a Bluesmobile doing just a tad better but still not great. Now I could easily see something with a tie in to a big movie within the last ten years like Transformers (Honestly surprised we haven't seen that one) and round2 already did a Jack Reacher Chevelle. Maybe even some success with a few of the Fast&The Furious cars (Just not like RC2's very scary "attempt"). But then the problem with movie cars is that that's what they are, very few could be easily repackaged with new decals or box art to make a desirable model.

Auston I get what you are saying but as far as TV shows go......

Starsky and Hutch 1975- 1979

Rockford Files 1974 - 1980

Yes they need to do something newer and older together . This would bring the collectors out to buy product.

Dukes Of Hazzard 1979-1985 and that is over 29 years ago, but you know that one. LOL

Mad Max anything. But with the new trailer being EPIC and movie to hit next year, I predict reissues will follow with maybe at least one new offering.

Agreed. IF they were successful in getting kits out at the same time that the movie was released...not a year later!

I am amazed that we are getting a Starsky & Hutch Torino. I was sure that ship had sailed a long time ago. I do get kits of timeless tv or movie cars like the Love Bug, which has been in a series of movies and still watched by kids today. Nearly every breathing human can identify Herbie.

I do see Round 2 putting out TV and Movie theme box art on tired old kits. Tom Lowe is very into that market, and the truth is that it's a much larger market than our meager model car clan, with large conventions all over the country. So most of those kits are bought for the tie-in and most won't even get the shrink wrap damaged. That's good for us, as it's sales that keep one of our favorite companies in the black.

The one car that they haven't done but should, is the Wayne's World Pacer. True, their Pacer is the earlier flat hood version, but that's the only one part (the hood and grill) that are different between the two versions of the kit. So it would be easy to do, fix the nose, add some decals and even if they don't do the red licorice container, it would sell oodles. Many years ago someone local did a model of the Mirth Mobile. I took photos of it at the Liars show way back then. All of a sudden my hosting account was going wacky with hits on that photo. Seems someone saw it and posted it on a Waynes World fan site. So there is a cult following. That would sell.

And anything with a comic book connection. I just saw how big ComicCon is and can see that it's a much bigger hobby than ours once again!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Mad Max anything. But with the new trailer being EPIC and movie to hit next year, I predict reissues will follow with maybe at least one new offering.

I believe the question asked was, what TV show/s... not movie/s.

What I'd like to see IS real Overhaulin' cars, as they have been converted by Foose, in kit form & NOT a re-issued kit with similar wheels & incorrect decal sheet/s. Correct body parts, tyres, wheels, interior, engine, suspension, trannies etc... Not hard to replicate with today's 3D printing/scanning technology... ?

Being a Mopar fan ( Harry?? ?? ) any of the cars on Graveyard cars. Would be easier than Overhaulin' cars, because most are factory stock.

Edited by CJ1971

Rockford Files 74 Firebird...please...!!! :wub:

Squad 51--early 70s Dodge rescue truck and early 70s Dodge ambulance van

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot--72 Riviera and the exhaust nutcases 71,72 Fury HT even though it was from the movie and not a series.

CHiPs--Ponches Firebird

Leave it to Beaver--Fury/Belvadere wagon

Andy Griffith--61 Ford 4door wagon police car

Street Outlaws--Farm truck pickup with topper/bed shell

Munsters--scale figures set of the family to match the cars

Fall Guy--correct long bed pickup kit

and even though its from a movie not a series--any cars from the 007 Bond movies...Hornet,etc.

YES....!

To go w/ Starsky's Torino, how about Hutch's beater '73/74 Ford Custom? ;)

For more recent, I'd like to see Walter White's Pontiac Aztek and Jesse Pinkman's '81 Monte Carlo lowrider and Toyota Tercel wagon from 'Breaking Bad'.

Or Ray Donovan's Merc CLS...(a car that I'd love to see kitted with or without any TV tie-in, my favorite current Mercedes).

Edited by Rob Hall