Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another early build

Tuffy's Garage

Charlie, that looks great.

I bought this kit when it was first out and was really dissapointed that it didn't come with the decals you needed to finish it off right. I eventually sold it.

Yours is excellent.

Chris

Excellent build Charlie! You just don't see too many of these at shows for whatever reason. IMO an underrated kit at best! I have the Z/28 version of this car I should try to take a crack at sometime.

You raise a good point, oh obsessive one.

With the possible exception of the clunky and awkward treatment of the headlight trim (engraved somewhat poorly IMHO--it shoulda been a separate chrome part), this kit is simply outstanding, and the subject is no slouch either. I, too, find it interesting that it doesn't seem to have a greater presence on show tables. And why did this seem so quick to hit the checkerboard boxart shelf at WalMart?

Is it the front end detail?

Is it the perceived difficulty of applying the stripe decals properly?

Is it a matter of "If you've see one B-M Camaro, you've seen e'm all?

Is it a matter of the add-on gadgets and gee-gaws, like side pipes and spoilers not appealing with gen2 fans?

Is it a matter of me having no clue that the perhaps the 2nd generation F-Body bowtie just can't compete with gen1 stuff?!

Is it a matter of the pre-painted version stealing the glue kit's thunder?

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust curious. I would have thought the kit would have set sales records just based on the engine and wheels being prime kitbash fodder.

Dan, I'm not quite sure why either, unless it's because the car looks naked without stripes and AMT didn't bother to put them in the kit :roll:

Aftermarket decals were never easy to come by either. I have 'em (from Last Detail, they're nice), but haven't had a chance to build my undecorated glue kit yet, nor it's Z28 brother that I bought a resin nose conversion kit for, and I really like both cars.

I love that car, personally that body style is my all time favorite Camaro.

Charlie gifted me that car in, what, 2000? And I still havn't built it yet :lol: I can't even find the thing with all the junk in my basement! I didn't do it sooner because I didn't want it to come out bad, like, brush painted. Now that I want to build it and think I have the skills, I can't find it...D'oh!