Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Forum Topic Added

A Lowrider section would be nice but I'm happy sharing in the "On the workbench" or "under Glass" sections. I don't see why anyone really would need there own private stomping grounds besides self glorification.... In an open category, somebody might see something you build and decide to try it out for themselves as well. However, if its in some sub-category, they may never see it.....

Honestly, how many of you would even bother to look in a lowrider section.... :P

Enzo...like I said before, keep posting!

ALL types of models are welcome here. Yeah, maybe some genres are more popular than others, but I'll bet nobody who's a member here doesn't want sports cars posted.

I can't speak for others, but in my opinion, I enjoy seeing photos of ANY type of model. I'm not necessarily into all of them, but I still like to see good work. For example, I don't care for NASCAR, but David Thibodeau's work is pretty amazing, and I enjoy his posts.

Bottom line: all of us have our own personal preferences...but I'd be willing to bet that we all enjoy seeing good work being posted, regardless of subject matter.

Enzo, keep posting those sports cars of yours! And Billy, keep on posting those NASCAR racers! A well-built model is worth posting, no matter what type of car it represents.

I'll second that!! I'm glad that we don't all like, build and post the same thing. How boring would that be?! I like looking at all of the different builds "On the Workbench" and "Under Glass". If I think that someone has done a good job building a model, even if it's something that I would never consider building myself, I'll compliment them for their workmanship, their craftsmanship or for the vision of their design. They did the work, they deserve the accolades!!

Enzo,

I love sports cars!! I built only sports car models for the longest time. Like Raul Julia said in the movie "Gumball Rally", "whatsa behind me isa no matta". How could he have said anything else? He was driving one of the world's most beautiful and fastest cars!!

Like everyone else, my preference in what I want to build has changed over time. Some day I'll probably kick myself for giving away most of my unbuilt sports car models to friends that still build them.

So, please keep building and posting sports cars. They're beautiful to look at and admire. I only wish that I could afford one of them...

Having recieved a few of those sports car kits from Raul...I have to echo his and other comments on adding a Sports Car topic to this forum. If enough of us that build sports cars/road racing models post our work on this forum than logic would lead to adding an extra topic to satisfy the demand...if it's there

Sports and race cars is got me started building models, cheaper than 1:1 scale.

My building is not limited to one specific genre or scale...mostly all o'er the place, sports cars, indy, F-1, dragsters, street rods, customs, classics, vintage, salt flat, occasional nascar, motorcycles and currently contemplating a 'rat rod' build.

Don't see a 'donk' build in the future, but ya never know!

Pray tell...if all of the modelers who build 'donks' start posting their work, they might get their own topic as well...just different strokes for different folks ;)

guess i'll have to start posting a few of my sports cars in the "Under Glass" forum

Honestly, the best attitude to take is to like them all.

That's why I proudly wear the title "CAR SLUT"!!! ;)

Any model car or truck! I want to see them all!

I can learn something from each one of them!

Too many forums here tho... I don't have the time to look at each (I'll work harder at it)

Build what you want, and keep them coming! And if you REALLY want to support the hobby,

then go to a forum you normally wouldn't, and leave some positive comments (when due).

Signed,

Spyder, the Car Slut!

Honestly, the best attitude to take is to like them all.

That's why I proudly wear the title "CAR SLUT"!!! ;)

Any model car or truck! I want to see them all!

I can learn something from each one of them!

Too many forums here tho... I don't have the time to look at each (I'll work harder at it)

Build what you want, and keep them coming! And if you REALLY want to support the hobby,

then go to a forum you normally wouldn't, and leave some positive comments (when due).

Signed,

Spyder, the Car Slut!

Now that's funny!!! ;):blink:;)

But, I also agree!! ;):P:P

The sports car segment of the hobby has always been well-represented here. And in the magazine. Ever read Alex Kustov's work? (I may have spelled his name wrong-if so, I apologize for that) NASCAR was the only segment of the modeling hobby that was NOT given the same print coverage as everything else, of which I've been campainging for for some time.

Putting everything toghter in one group is counter productive (NASCAR, Drag, other forms of racing)...that's just the Under Glass section times two.

Each having their own is perfect-it lets those who specialize in one segment or the other read what they enjoy building without scrolling through bunches of things they don't.

FWIW, I would look at a Lowrider forum at least once a week...I built plenty back when I started modeling, and I have a few more I wish to do in the future as well. I actually joined a couple of lowrider based yahoogroups back in the day, but stopped checking them when Yahoo decided to cut out the pictures from webmode.

And....let it be said, I would have things to contribute to a sports car section...I've got more Posches and Ferraris in my collection then most people would think!

When I do finish any sports cars or lowriders, they will be posted in the Under Glass section, just like everything else, and it doesn't matter to me if I don't get a single responce...getting "Good Job!" over and over is not the reason I build.

Edited by Billy Kingsley

Ever read Alex Kustov's work?

I have spoken with him many times (through typing, lol) and even used his processes prior to his approval. I am completely aware and a devoted follower/learned builder from his work. This is not the forum where you really can see his work. If you really want to see his work then let me know and I can direct you.

Putting everything toghter in one group is counter productive (NASCAR, Drag, other forms of racing)...that's just the Under Glass section times two.

You seem to be the one who is missing the point and contradicting yourself. What you have stated is maintaining the separate Drag/Nascar forums as a way of preventing a Under the Glass section x2. Sports cars that are street livery are not part of that aspect and would not need to be in these forums. Again, why do these genres require their own sub-forums?

Each having their own is perfect-it lets those who specialize in one segment or the other read what they enjoy building without scrolling through bunches of things they don't.

Ah, the same point again. That is why I see the need for a Sports car forum. I don't want to see what I don't like either.

When I do finish any sports cars or lowriders, they will be posted in the Under Glass section, just like everything else, and it doesn't matter to me if I don't get a single responce...getting "Good Job!" over and over is not the reason I build.

My confidence and support for modeling is not comprised of pats on the back. I never even mentioned that. I also never even mentioned the need for a separate Under the Glass section. This has gone way off of my points.

This is going to turn into a reciprocal argument apparently. Seems that I am on the negative side of it for some reason?! Making inprovements to a forum is part of the business. People like myself who appreciate these forums are not ashamed to ask for more.

Edited by Enzoenvy1

Among the other things Aaron said, one bears repeationg. The number of replies to either an opinion or a build mean little if all the response says "awsome" or "spot on" or "great build". When it comes to a model comment the good and bad points should be mentioned. A negative comment should be done politely and constructively. I was banned from BMC web site because I dared to suggest that a pictured model of a pick up would have been improved with the addition of brake drums. This was deemed as an insult to the builder. I wonder how he was supposed to learn.

bob

Just off the top of my head, here's a few sections I'd rather see, (no particular order):

1-Customs, mucho, mucho creativity!

2-Exotics/Sports cars, (note, this section could even be combined with cars for road racing, F1, American LeMans, old SCCA series, IMSA, etc.), to build it up.

3-Replica Stock, (especially domestic & imported "grocery getters", though this would also be a good place for scale replicas of muscle cars, classics & the like).

4-Hot Rods, which is anything pre 49.

5-Street Machine, 49 & later.

I agree. I'd suggest axing the "On the Workbench" and "Under Glass" sections, and instead have several specific categories to post both WIPs and finished models. Not too many categories...just enough to cover the spectrum.

1. Rods/Customs/Street machines...this would also be the place for lowriders, DONKS (cringe!!!), etc.

2. Sports/Exotic...Porsches, Ferraris, Lambo, Jag, Corvette, Viper, etc.

3. Showroom Stock (includes all "stock" models...both grocery getters AND muscle. As long as it was available from a dealer, it goes in this area.

4. Traditional Hot Rods.

5. Race cars...NASCAR, drag, Indy, Grand Prix, dirt track, etc. If the car is built expressly for competition, it goes here.

6. Police/Fire/Emergency.

7. Everything Else...monster trucks, demolition derby, whatever oddball car that doesn't fit anywhere else.

And of course I'd keep the truck section.

That's how I'd break it down if I was King of the World... :lol:

Edited by harrypri

You know, the one of the cool things that really makes this site different is the way everything was lumped together. Everybody's builds next to each other. It's half of the reason I stayed here instead of elsewhere. Even now, I spend a lot of time on a different forum, I still check in here multiple times a day. If we segregate all the builds into sub-classes, we'll be just like everybody else. I don't want this place to be that way. I like it the way it is. Besides, who's going to move every one of the posts into the sub-classes? You think Gregg has time to do that in the wake of a hard drive crash cleanup with TWO issues behind schedule???? :blink:<_<

:P

You know, the one of the cool things that really makes this site different is the way everything was lumped together. Everybody's builds next to each other. It's half of the reason I stayed here instead of elsewhere. Even now, I spend a lot of time on a different forum, I still check in here multiple times a day. If we segregate all the builds into sub-classes, we'll be just like everybody else. I don't want this place to be that way. I like it the way it is. Besides, who's going to move every one of the posts into the sub-classes? You think Gregg has time to do that in the wake of a hard drive crash cleanup with TWO issues behind schedule???? :blink:<_<

u knew exactly what i meant :blink:

Very well said, Jonathan!! I "visit" the other site, and occasionally I will post something, but this site is "home"...and I like it just the way it is.

Not to poke at Gregg when he's down, but I have about as much hope of receiving the December issue of MCM as I do the remainder of my subscription to Plastic Fanatic. It's just part of dealing with a publisher that's a lot more "real" and "personable"... So Gregg, as long as this site continues to feel like a place that I want to be, home, I'll continue to hang out here and forgive the occasionally late magazine.

Much thanks,

Actually no, that's not true. In my case, I merely offered some ideas to expand the breakdown of sections even more, as well as making it easier to find finished builds, building & research info, WIP, & other things involving each genre of building. I did say I wasn't sure we needed a NASCAR section, given the excellent Randy Ayers NASCAR modeling forum, (of which I am a member of BTW), that's online, but if we were going to have one, to expand & add more sections covering different modeling genres. Even Randy's forum breaks the various sections down into "Darkside", (NASCAR models & info from 1948 to 1972, "Greyside", (1973 to 1989), "Modifieds, Sportman, & Other Non NASCAR", etc. There's even a section for street cars & other types of race cars, as even the most dedicated NASCAR builder also builds in other genres, in most cases. Keep in mind that even with my mild criticism of the addition of a NASCAR section, I still commented that I build some NASCAR race cars, though that is a very small percentage, (roughly a bit over 2%), of my total builds.

I merely offered a way of possibly eliminating some sections, (well actually Harry P offered that, based on my post), by consolidating, say, all the "Under Glass", "Workbench", research, & other areas involving, oh say stock car models, in the section titled "NASCAR". The same could be done for each genre we build in, thereby making it easier to find what you're looking for in a certain modeling genre, & not having to spend your time in a section of little/no interest to you. For example, I have zero interest in slot cars, (nothing against it, just not my hobby), & thus I have yet to visit the slot car section of the forum in over a year of being a member here. It's nice it's available for those into it, & I certainly see no reason to eliminate it, but as it holds no interest for me, there is equally no reason for me to spend much if any time there. We are simply looking at ways the forum might be tweaked & possibly improved & made even more "user friendly". Gregg himself asked for our input in this thread as to just that.

I fail to see how you could interpret my comments as anything but what they were, & wonder how you read anything else into them. As to the "racial classes" comment, not only is that illogical, but it smacks of prejudice itself, & is beneath contempt. Nobody here has made any comment to the racial makeup of the forum, & perhaps that's because we are here to discuss model building, & the pleasures & problems associated with the hobby, as friends, & we check our personal issues at the door. Perhaps you might try doing the same, it makes life much easier. or you can go around looking for imaginary perceived slights, & be miserable, the choice is up to you. Goodness knows I wouldn't want to rob you of either choice, as you might misinterpret that as well.

<_<

.....um what?

I think that RO`s point was missed. Some people on here seem to only look at what they want to, and are ignorant to other types of builds. You yourself said that you dislike slot cars, so you dont look at them. I myself Log into the site , and go through all of the topics at least once a week. If I am just in a hurry then I will go directly to the prominent forums- Under glass/on the bench/swap trade or free...... ooh and btw I build mostly lowriders/ muscle cars and the odd vintage stock car, or vintage racer.(roughly 1.5 % of my total builds) what he is saying is that you want to break it a down into sections with subsections... might-aswell go further...

some people here act like they are above everyone and are the authority on model cars. I hate the know it all atittude from some people.

Edited by mademan

well thanks mark for clearing it up, I guess you were right about EVERYTHING all along :)

I appreciate you using your "eloquent" vocabulary to sum of the history of model forums, and why myself and rollin are wrong and racist.lol

A`s in grammar/public speach/drama, etc. sounds like a fun time. I spent my time in the shop building/racing(on a local track of course) real cars, guess I missed out on the fun stuff.

Please do take a bow, george seems fairly impressed.

As to his ruffling feathers, if that was his intention, well we've had a poster that did that in a thread a few months ago. He no longer posts here AFAIK, due to "burning his bridges" with the group here by such shenanigans.

:)

you seems fairly proud of that, guess I shouldnt mess with your "clique". If im going to be thrown overboard for voicing my opinions, I am probly better off not posting here.

Im done posting in this topic for now, no point argueing with someone who knows it all, over model cars... after all at the end of the day I have much more important things to do, modelling is JUST a hobby.

now please, give yourself another pat on the back, and thanks for comming out.

Edited by mademan

Geez, you guys are WAY over-analyzing this.

Think about it: Currently, ANYTHING could pop up in "On the Workbench" and "Under Glass".

However, if we had clearly defined areas to post in, we would all be able to find topics of interest much easier.

Nobody said anything about EXCLUDING or eliminating anyone's particular preference...only organizing our posts. My specific suggestions cover every possible area of car models...and there would be an "Everything Else" catchall category just to make sure nothing is discriminated against or eliminated. Obviously every member would still be free to check out any area of the forum, but if he/she has a particular special interest, specific sections would make it much easier to find specific subjects.

An analogy: at the library, the books are arranged by subject matter, to make finding a particular book easier. However, that in no way puts any limits or restrictions on which books you're allowed to borrow!

Sectioning the forum would simply make it easier to navigate, it would NOT "discriminate" against anyone's interests.

Edited by harrypri

Actually, if I can elaborate...see if this makes sense.

I'd break the site down this way:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Let's Talk" section:

• General (including "new guy here" type posts)

• Kit Reviews

• Tips, Tricks, Ideas

• Rants 'n' Raves

• Real or Model

• Where's Waldo?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Showcase" section:

• Rod/Custom/Street machine (also lowriders, "donks", etc.)

• Sports and Exotic (Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, Jag, Viper, 'vette, etc.)

• Showroom Stock (All "stock" builds from grandma's sedan to hemi 'cudas)

• Traditional Hot Rods

• Race/Competition (NASCAR, Indy, Grand Prix, dirt track, drag, etc.)

• Police/Fire/Emergency

• Trucks

• Large Scale

• Resin

• Dioramas

• Auto Art

• Everything Else

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"References, Links and Marketplace" section:

• Swap, Trade or Free

• Wanted!

• 1:1 Reference photos and links

• Contests and Shows

• Helpful Links

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ask Model Cars" section

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Model Car Racing" section

As you can see, a few redundant sections have been combined or eliminated...yet EVERYONE's area of interest is represented. Makes sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...
"Showcase" section:

• Rod/Custom/Street machine (also lowriders, "donks", etc.)

• Sports and Exotic (Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, Jag, Viper, 'vette, etc.)

• Showroom Stock (All "stock" builds from grandma's sedan to hemi 'cudas)

• Traditional Hot Rods

• Race/Competition (NASCAR, Indy, Grand Prix, dirt track, drag, etc.)

• Police/Fire/Emergency

• Trucks

• Large Scale

• Resin

• Dioramas

• Auto Art

• Everything Else

Where would I post my large scale resin diorama of a showroom stock exotic?