Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Challenger R/T - SE "Finished"

Mopar - D

Well I'm stuck in the 70's for now so here's my next its a resin body for the Challenger R/T SE and the AMT 70 Challenger kit as my donor. Current plan is to build it white with a black top and interior. I'm going to use the 440 +6 and the shaker hood. Found the resin body on eBay so far the body fits good with the AMT kit. Their is a lot of clean up around all the openings but no air holes and the detail looks real good. Here's what I'm starting with. Your comments and suggestions are welcome!

1ac1e390896bc44a27215bb6e91ae433.jpg

8825bdac1950c7edb6edc6c46409706c.jpg

Edited by Mopar - D

Why are you using the resin body and not the kit body? Is the resin one that mich better or is it a diferent body style?

For color i would go with a white body and black top with a red interior.

Edited by Tompidom

The first thing that strikes me is the rear window on the resin body is way too small even for an SE. I have one of those kits and IIRC, the side stripes has Charger instead of Challenger written one them. I was planning on using the kit top to make the frame and bows for a convertible top since the kit has the windshield and frame for the convertible.

Edited by plowboy

The shaker hood from the AMT kit is horrible, the interior would also be incorrect for an SE (as well as having a weird "boxy" look compared to the 1:1)- haven't tried the fit but the MPC 70-71 tub and seats have a bit better shape and the upholstery pattern matches the leather or cloth insert seats normally found on the SE

AMT chassis is decent but has some strange proportions to a few components

The Modelhaus sells this interior for a reasonable price

Have that body and a few Challenger kits in the stash- planning on triple green for mine with a Hemi

The shaker hood from the AMT kit is horrible

I agree ; it's too sharply-pointed at its front-centre . Never attempted to restructure one ...

The interior would also be incorrect for an SE (as well as having a weird "boxy" look compared to the 1:1)- haven't tried the fit but the MPC 70-71 tub and seats have a bit better shape and the upholstery pattern matches the leather or cloth insert seats normally found on the SE

I've even considered that interior as an option . The Special Edition upholstery is different versus the standard R/T and base models' pattern .

Then there's that whole Full Horn Ring steering wheel and the standard 3-speed manual shifter (think : standard transmission with the 340 and 383 HP)

AMT chassis is decent but has some strange proportions to a few components

That odd-looking Dana 60 is the biggest sore point ; and that exhaust is undersized .

I also feel that the backlite (technical term for "rear window") on the resin kit looks too small . Certainly , the existing casting flash could make the specific-to-the-1970-only S.E. shape appear to be too small , as could other factors ( lighting , camera angle , etc. ).

It's too bad that none of the fledgling resin casters / artisans have created the coveted 1970-1971 Dodge "W11" 14" Deluxe Wheel Covers ...

Thanks for all the comments. I like the red interior recommendation and will going with that as for the rear back lite it's on the small side and I have not been able to find any diamentions from a real one to check. I have cleaned up the edges around the opening it helped a little if I don't find what the real diamentions are I'm going to leave it as is. I'm not sure if I'm going to anything to fix the shaker hood or not. I've check Modelhaus and they only offer a 71 interior and don't know if that would be a closer SE interior.

Spent time working on cleaning up the body and getting the front and rear vallances and panel lines.

4543dbcde02a889dcf42fc0d6aa64f24.jpg

07e98a8755dfcaa87b1e7d230d92cdc2.jpg

3c762dd253b87da3095dd644dd5967c6.jpg

1b0a3950870efe2c16e1ed7496f79285.jpg

The rear window plug is visible through the vinyl in this shot- gives an idea of the proportions of the SE glass to the standard opening- enough other minor proportion issues with this kit to not be a big deal to worry about correcting- still a nice model with the "small" opening- like the original factory ad artwork

133921-500-0.jpg?rev=2

Plug by itself

1970-71-dodge-challenger-se-rear-window-

1970-dodge-challenger-61.jpg

Edited by ChrisPflug

I was thinking all the SEs had leather seats?

For 1970 only, base hardtop and R/T hardtop models could be ordered with the more luxurious SE specification, which included leather seats, a vinyl roof, a smaller 'formal' rear window, and an overhead interior console that contained three warning lights (door ajar, low fuel, and seatbelts).

Also mopar are you going with a 1970??

I just wandered because I'm not sure how accurate you wanted to be, because the shaker hood scoop wasn't available until after 1971

So wasn't sure if that's what you were doing or not.

Edited by Byron5150

Byron I found this 70's brochure that offers the shaker.

c784c5483acd45b2a563b0c34c918f18.jpg

Sorry I meant too say it wasn't available after 1971 from the factory.

I thought it would be good information but it doesn't really relate to your project.

Sometimes I add useless information :lol:

Edited by Byron5150

Bob from what I've found the SE came standard with the cloth / vinyl buckets and leather was a extra option.

Officially the leather/ vinyl was standard on the SE and the cloth/ vinyl a credit option. Leather or the cloth was optional on the R/T. There were availability issues with the Challenger shaker hood off and on through the model year resulting in them being much less common than on the 'cuda

dodge_hrk4.jpg

dodge_h5k4.jpg

Edited by ChrisPflug