Model Cars Magazine Forum

H.O. scale home slot car track

Wolfangel

Now that pulley/winch system is really cool.

I've thought about doing something with pulleys, but was thinking of just having it come down from the ceiling. Hadn't thought of the winch part at all. Problem is I don't have a place for anything at the moment, would have to move somewhere with a garage first.

Thanks for sharing!

Russ

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a small update.  I had to get rid of the old train controller....it gave up on me.  I guess I should have expected it since it was so old.  I got a new one tho that performs great.  I have also FINALLY finished up all the wiring for the train and the slot car track (along with a schematic of the wiring).  It was a nightmare....but im glad its done.  And you will also see the 2 new controllers I got for the slot cars.....these perform alot better....bigger size....and they have a sensitivity setting (how much punch it has taking off or out of corners) and a break setting (low means less brakes....high means more breaks and a dead stop...no coasting).  Everything is working great.  Hopefully will have a video of it all running together soon.

controller front.jpg

controller inside.jpg

DSCF5780.JPG

This is too cool.

I really wish I had the room and money to do this.

I am really out of the loop on slot cars. How do the brakes work? Only thing I can think of is the controller sends a reverse voltage to the cars to turn the engine the other way?

Thanks..

Russ

IIRC the brake works  by shorting out the motor.

I think it's referred to as inductive braking, by shorting out the motor instead of feeding it a voltage, the magnetic field generated by the armature windings works against the magnets (magnetic fields) in the motor casing.

I'm guessing the adjustable braking in those controllers is done with variable resistors in order to how much "shorting" is applied.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I would like to make some crossings similar to the ones you made for my own train/slot car set. What steps did you do to make them and tools required. Any tips would be appreciated because otherwise I am afraid something will derail.

I would like to make some crossings similar to the ones you made for my own train/slot car set. What steps did you do to make them and tools required. Any tips would be appreciated because otherwise I am afraid something will derail.

On 8/3/2014 at 10:27 PM, Wolfangel said:

As you can see...I have combined a road course slot track with a train. And on the outer edge is a drag strip. The whole table measures 5 x 16. But, the outer 1 foot edge where the drag strip is folds under the table....then the WHOLE thing folds up against the wall.

The rail road crossing CAN NOT be bought. I made it. You can get a slot car track piece with a STRAIGHT train track on it...but there has never been one made that had a curve in it...at least not available through retail stores. I wanted to be different. The drag strip is also 16 feet long with a 30" run off area at the end......it is made to be removed when the track is stored.

post-2732-0-66853600-1407122841_thumb.jp

On 10/31/2015 at 4:04 PM, Wolfangel said:

made another train crossing for the slot car track.

train 5.jpg

Brings back many memories of years long past.  I had a Strombecker 1/32 figure eight that I wore out, also had (still have) a Lionel 027 diesel train set with extra track pieces and a Marx 027 Steam set.  I would like to set them up, but they require way too much space and the wife says until I can get rid of some the 300+ model kits I am not going to start a new hobby.  Keep those update coming so we can live vicariously through your efforts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Slotto said:

Cool layout. I wish I had the space for something like that

I have had this table size for over 40yrs and it has been in two locations. the layout has been changed many times.  1rst was a mobile home with all the walls torn down and the second and present location is the building my business is in. Its in the cellar. I  bought this business and building specifically because there was room for this. Wouldn't have taken the chance on a business otherwise.  That was 28yrs ago. 

• 2 months later...

Here is a long overdue update.  A lot has happened in my life lately....and I haven't had much time to work on it....but...here it is.  Still a long way to go.  I got the track running good with the slot cars and the train and also the drag strip up and running good.  By the way....the drag cars.....Tyco 440x2.....Lambo and Ferrari.....running at 24 volts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...