Model Cars Magazine Forum

1935 Ford "Dearborn" C.O.E ,Bogie Drive Car Hauler.

Hey Guys.

It has been so long since I put anything up with the build that i had to look over my old posts to see what I was working on. Anyway I am finally back into the build having decided to turn my attention to the cab again, this time to actually finish it. The first thing I did was reshape the front cowl area. It is now completely vertical, this is in preparation for the hood. I also shortened the running boards as well.

P8300061_zpsef6f2ddf.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The other thing I needed to do was get the lower windscreen area in line with the top. The 35 and 36 Fords still had the flat windscreens. To make this correction I got lazy and used the angle grinder to cut out a section in the middle. I used balsa wood as a backfill, once the glue is bonded with it, it sets like cement, it also saves on putty. As far as putty goes I purchased some more while away and this stuff is much better than the usual stuff I use, it sets more like cement than a sticky putty so it does less damage to the plastic it bonds with.

P8300062_zps697983a5.jpg

Edited by fractalign

And here is how the cab looks with the newly finished windscreen area. The next task with the cab is to start shaping the hood, the sides are attached to the newly re shaped cowl. I have used balsa woods tabs to minimise damage to inside of the body.

P8300064_zpsf3d2be93.jpg

One thing that has been holding me back with starting the hood is how to make the rounded corners at the top. I worked out that by using to top rear section of one of my old resin cabs I could solve this problem.

The cab next to it shows the section that I cut out for this one's hood. Next task will be to finish the rest of the hoodP8300066_zps9f55555c.jpg

It sure will, its only there to hold the hood in place. I will need to take the hood apart so those tabs will make it easier. Since that shot I have added the front face to the hood. I still have to work out how the hood and the grill shell join up so that will be tomorrows task.

Hey guys.

Thanks for the all the compliments they are much appreciated.

Back to the build, after reshaping the cowl I got construction of the hood started. This unit will be totally scratch built. The first thing i did was glue the grill shell back into place. I then cut two pieces of 2mm thick styrene for the sides and measured them against the cowl and grill to work out how to cut them. I needed to make sure the bottom of the hood sides followed the curve of the tops of the fenders as well. Once I was happy with the shape of the sides I then got another pace of 2mm thick styrene to make up the front part. I was going to attach this directly to the sides but realised that because all the edges are curved I would end up losing met of the material sanding back. My solution was to get a couple of lengths of sprue and use them for the corners.

P9020090_zps1c164a81.jpg

Having done that, I used automotive putty on the inside and out side to reinforce the unit. And once the putty on there outside had set it was sanded back and white putty was added. Its starting to look more like a hood now. This has been the hardest part of the build so far and the one thing I have been dreading. Once I have finished the front and the sides i will move onto doing the top starting with the centre section. The corners were going to be from one of my old resin cabs but the curve is the wrong shape for this hood.

P9020093_zps1dbd6f2a.jpg

If you look carefully you will see the corners at the top. I may end up scratch building these corners if i can't find any suitable source material. I have never scratch built rounded corners before, but having come this far with the hood that might be such a big challenge. The next task will be to finish the hood.

P9020095_zps4b35d630.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Hey Guys.

I was glad to get this out of the way before heading off tomorrow. Another trip is not something I really want to do but while away i will be able to get more materials for this build. Anyway I made up the top of the hood today. I cut a piece of 2mm thick styrene and before I attached it I glued in a piece of tubular sprue to the top of the hood front face. This sprue is to simulate the rounded edge. Once again automotive putty was layed over the top. I was unsure of how I would do the corners so I decided to lay on an extra amount of putty into the gaps where the corners were going to go.

P9030106_zps3f2340d9.jpg

Edited by fractalign

This show the inside of the hood, its still pretty messy, but once the hood is taken off the cab I can clean up the inside by finishing off filling it. Once the putty had set into the corner cavities I was able to turn these into the actual corners by sanding them down.

P9030107_zpsd5bea50f.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Its pretty basic but its starting to look more like the ones in the 1:1 images. After sanding the first coat of putty a second coat of white putty was added and sanded as well. The next task will be to remove the hood, clean up the inside and and add a belt line. While away I will buy buying some more half round especially for this task. You may notice I have cut away an area at the front for the radiator.

Anyway when I get back next week I will wrap up the the hood and move onto the interior.

P9030111_zpsfb75d5dd.jpg

Edited by fractalign

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys.

Just a quick update.

In case you are wondering why I have not been uploading anything lately, its because I have no internet at the moment. I am in the process of getting a new ISP but they will not be able to install the equipment until Thursday next week. That does not effect the progress of the build however and once I am back online I will have plenty of new images to upload.

Cheers !

For the curved corners on your cowl, it comes in handy to save sleeper roofs, and air spoilers etc for things like that. Ive scratchbuilt many cabs, and Ive been bailed out several times by using pieces like that. The top corners of a sleeper roof would have been perfect, but Ive done it with putty just like you did. Whenever I kitbash an Aero truck, I throw all of that stuff in a junkbox. Its been usefull in scratchbuilding more often than not. Great job, by the way. Im enjoying this build.

Hey Guys.

I managed to put the belt line onto the hood today along with the flange where the hood meets the grill. To make up the belt line I used 1mm half round tubing. I did the left side first to determent the shape for the right side. One Had both side done I undercoated the hood to get it to look more natural. To make up the flange around the grill, I used on old video card by cutting of the edges and gluing them to the perimeter of the housing. The hood was cross checked against the grill and excess areas were cut away and the the whole thing was filled with body filler and the hood was pressed against the grill to insure the two would sit flush. I wet thew hood first to stop the body filler bonding with the grill. One dry it was ready to sand.

P9200164_zpsb1473259.jpg

The last shot is a deliberately grainy one. I was trying to make it look similar to the original image of the truck.

Not quite the same angle but its a good comparison never the less. I will need to continue to add detail around the lower part of the cab and finish the flange and those will be the next tasks.

35COE_zpsc80c24bc.jpg

P9200162_zpsab475e84.jpg

Edited by fractalign