Model Cars Magazine Forum

1935 Ford "Dearborn" C.O.E ,Bogie Drive Car Hauler.

Hey Guys.

It has been a slow week, but I finally re corrected the contour of the lower cab section by adding a 4mm wide strip between the side and rear section. As well as that I also re-curved the drivers side rear corner so that it now more closely follows the cab corner in shape. The other thing  did was add a strip to the bottom of the hood so that its contour closely matches that of the fenders. I still need to do the same on the other side but at least I know how much material is needed to replicate the other side with. I am also very happy with the position of the hood as well. There is enough clearance between it and the headlight buckets. Next task will be to replicate this side on the other side and then fill in any tine gaps in both.

P10174677.jpg

P101746555.jpg

Hey Guys.

It has been a while since I posted anything up. The big hold up was getting the hood and grill to line up. I was trying to work out how to fill the gap. I looked at some original images of Dearborn C.O.Es and realised the grill shell was set further back into the fenders. I then proceeded to cut out 3mm of the bottom edge of the grill shell to set it back. Even with that there was still a gap at the top, so I added a 3mm flange around the top half of the grill shell. It is now sitting flush with the hood. The other thing I did was cut out a hole at the front of the hood for the grill shell to sit inside. There is a 1mm flange at the back of the grill that locks into the hood. The next task will be to add the swage line and cowl vent and the hood will be finished.

P101746pp.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Hey Guys.

I managed to get the swage line added to the hood. I also added some more to the top of the hood as it sloped down to steeply for the planned cowl vent. I have also started filling the gap along the bottom edge of the hood. Like the bottom of the edge of the lower cab section, I will back fill this area with resin too so that it sits flush over the fenders. Next task will be to add the cowl vent and clean up the surface ready to primer.

P101746444444444444.jpg

Edited by fractalign

http:// Hey Guys !

I am back onto using Photobucket again so images are back to full size at last. This one is a little blurry but what I can say is that all the major construction on the cab is complete. The cab now sits firmly in place over the lower section, the swage lines are finished and I have started work on the cowl vent. It has been a long road to get it to this stage but it will be worth it in the end. I added a flange around the cowl area for the hood to lock into. I just need to add the remaining filler to the bottom of the hood and it will sit in place neatly. Next task will be to complete the hood and finish the surface area on it, the cab and the lower section.

P1017463_zpsnt4nf202.jpg

Edited by fractalign

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest problem was the chassis, it was the wrong shape and the running boards did not sit flush with the bottom edge of the rails due to the depth. I bit the bullet and decided to modify the 37 pickup chassis instead. You will notice the step up towards the front. this allows the fender/floor asssemlble to lock into place. This chassis is also much smaller and finer than the other chassis, so I have decided to make this one a 131 inch wheelbase version. P1017463_zpsk7lgyjxq.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The leaf spring on the front end is actually the rear leaf spring from the Lindberg 34 Pickup kit. I needed this spring due to the higher arch allowing better wheel clearance. Because the new chassis is modified from the 37 pickup version, the fenders sit inline with the chassis rails but there were issues with clearance with the 37 leaf spring. The 34 leaf spring is certainly better detailed and more truck like.http://

The other thing I have been focussing on is the wheels, especially the rears. This is new rear wheel with separate hub. You will notice the allen key in the back ground. I moulded this to make up the lugs. You can see one of them in the foreground. The lugs are being cut from the hexagonal tubing that was cast, the studs are being cut from the fine styrene tubing. Its a tedious process but it will be well worth the results. The wheels will have individual lugs for extra realism. With my focus back on the chassis and wheels getting them finished will be the next task.P1017465_zpscmmlkag5.jpg

Edited by fractalign

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys. Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been somewhat preoccupied. I found a new FB group that is all about 28 to 38 AA ad BB trucks. It has been a wealth of information. Scrolling down though the images I saw one of a 1935 Dump Truck. I could tell straight away that the front end on the truck was much heavier duty than mine. The spring has less of an arch and the axle is less bowed. As a result I have begun to rework mine to look like the one in the image.

P1017444_zps2cfqbfht.jpgThe new spring is a modified version of the AMT 33 Willys rear leaf spring. The ends have been cut off and the ends from the AMT 34 Ford Corvette Rear end are being added. The was a corvette IRS so it is less bowed on the ends, which is perfect. The axle above is the one I will be using. I have bet it down and rather than widen it at the centre like the old one below, I simply shaved the stub axle mounts which have become part of the axle. The new stub axles will simply be grafted on from the old axle below. The other thing I have been working on is the chassis. The rear rails behind the cab have been raised to meet the bottom of the cab edge. The rails are deeper and more truck like as result. I have been moulding the cross members from the old chassis to add to this one, rather than trying to scratch build them, that will save time. As for the wheels and tyres I was un happy with the tyres I was using so I have scratch built my own that I hope to mould tomorrow. This will be very different to anything else out there. The centre section was machined from resin with the tread carved in. I am not sure when I will get photos of the finished wheels and tyres, the photo uploader o my computer is giving me trouble. When I do get it sorted out I will have photos of the finished wheels ad hopefully the chassis as well.

Edited by fractalign

• 3 years later...