Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Sox & Martin Altered Hardtop

jjsipes

I am looking for some under hood shots of the Altered Wheelbase hardtop that was campaigned by the Sox and Martin team.I am interested in seeing the inner fenders and how they were modified from stock when the "k member" was moved forward. Would anybody have any to share?

Edited by jjsipes

I have a few pictures of the sedan and a few others .

But but basically, just like mentioned. they just moved the whole shock tower plate forward and welded in flat sheetmetal where it used to be ( sometimes )

will post what I have later this evening

That's what I figured but then I see some pictures that looking in the wheelwell it looks like a rollbar tube from maybe where the hinge point of the doors down to the base of the shock tower. I have see nsome pictures of the restored cars that show this but not sure if it was like this back in '65.

Wish I had taken better ones, but here are a few shots I took when I saw it last year. If it's actually how it was back in 65 I'm not sure. Sending you a PM, too.

MoparsInTheParkJune22013081_zps414ab248.

MoparsInTheParkJune22013080_zpsea0ab2cb.

MoparsInTheParkJune22013084_zps873bfda3.

MoparsInTheParkJune22013239_zpsa5a39b22.

Keep in mind this is the sedan,,, aka Paper Tiger II . Which was a shop built car ,,

All the Mopar OEM built cars were hardtops

Keep in mind this is the sedan,,, aka Paper Tiger II . Which was a shop built car ,,

All the Mopar OEM built cars were hardtops

Ahhh...I see, thanks for the heads-up Bill. I was unaware that this one was shop built and might have been prepped differently from the hardtops.

If you look in the front wheel opening, below, behind the front wheel, it looks like some kind of structure in there like it might be simliar to the Sedan.

65-Sox-5_zps38345870.jpg

These are from a website I found that has pictures of the Altered Sedan as it was being restored but I am not sure if the Hardtop was the same or not.

100_1611_zps3a507074.jpg

100_1610_zps94cf3268.jpg

Website in which I found the restored pics from http://hiteautobodyandrestoration.com/projects/main.php. They also have pictures of the 71 Sox and Martin Cuda and 71 Dick Landy Challenger.

• 1 month later...

"All the Mopar OEM built cars were hardtops"....

I'm not an expert, but I understand there were a couple of sedan types as well from the first originals. Maybe two or so. I'm not sure either if OEM is quite correct, as the factory itself didn't do the cars.

I'm probably wrong though.

Jason, that's a real nice looking model!

Always an interesting topic.

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

"All the Mopar OEM built cars were hardtops"....

I'm not an expert, but I understand there were a couple of sedan types as well from the first originals. Maybe two or so. I'm not sure either if OEM is quite correct, as the factory itself didn't do the cars.

I'm probably wrong though.

Jason, that's a real nice looking model!

Always an interesting topic.

Michael

The factory did not do these cars. They provided A990 cars that were sent to Hurst Performance for the additional work. And, the only factory sedan that my research indicates was Bill Flynn's Yankee Peddler car that he sent back to Chrysler and they then sent it go Hurst for the conversion.

Another interesting note is that if any of the owners of factory provided cars wanted to sell them to other drivers Chrysler had to approve the sale. For instance Norm Krause (Mr Norm) his first 65 awb came from Roger Lindamood. Since he was already a prominent Chrysler car dealer the sale was a no brainer. There were a lot of cars that were recycled like that when original drivers upgraded to something else. But most of these awb cars were simply homebuilt with no factory involvement.

• 1 year later...

I thought Amblewagon did the AFX cars ?

Your right ! I have a 4 page article on these cars. I posted pics here a long time ago about just how very incomplete the bare shells were that were sent to that shop. No rear quarter panels and not even a roof panel !

Mr. Norms first AWB was a sedan that only had the rear wheels moved forward.

The factory did not do these cars. They provided A990 cars that were sent to Hurst Performance for the additional work. And, the only factory sedan that my research indicates was Bill Flynn's Yankee Peddler car that he sent back to Chrysler and they then sent it go Hurst for the conversion.

Another interesting note is that if any of the owners of factory provided cars wanted to sell them to other drivers Chrysler had to approve the sale. For instance Norm Krause (Mr Norm) his first 65 awb came from Roger Lindamood. Since he was already a prominent Chrysler car dealer the sale was a no brainer. There were a lot of cars that were recycled like that when original drivers upgraded to something else. But most of these awb cars were simply homebuilt with no factory involvement.

Your information is close, but not quite correct.  All of the factory sponsored AWB cars, except Bill Flynn's Yankee Peddler, Color Me Gone, Ramchargers, and Landy were built by Amblewagon.  The Yankee Peddler and Color Me Gone was built by Dick Branstner and Jay Howell.  

Norm Krauss inherited the Roger Lindamood Color Me Gone car.  It was TAKEN from Lindamood by Chrysler because he continued to do wheelstands with the car which Chrysler hated.  After repeated warnings, the car was confiscated from Lindamood and gifted to Mr. Norm.  He ran the injected car in only one meet, which was the '65 Super Stock Nationals at Cecil County.  Then it was taken back to Grand Spaulding and the engines were swapped from his '65 red Sedan to give it the blown configuration.   

Edited by Marlowe

You're right too! Branster owned Amblewagon.

I'm sorry, but in an effort of clarity and historical accuracy, Dick Branstner did not own Amblewagon.  His company was Branstner Enterprises.  Amblewagon did conversions of ambulances and hearses.  Branstner also built the Little Red Wagon, the Dart Charger, and the Cotton Picker. 

Edited by Marlowe