Model Cars Magazine Forum

"NEW" MPC Dukes of Hazzard kit not what you expected

Greg Myers

I just had a crazy thought.

Maybe, just maybe, this tool originated with Polar LIghts. Considering how much show biz stuff they are doing and that almost all of it is in the Snap variety, could it be possible that this tool originated that way?

Just a crazy thought

Same people now, Round2 bought the companies outright in 2011. From 2008 they were licensors of the brand names, but didn't physically own the tooling. MPC has been the Dukes' company from the start so it makes sense to make it an MPC kit. Could be a licensing thing, too, that only MPC has the license to do DoH kits.

Edited by Brett Barrow

What about the antenna?

Martinfan5/41 asked if there was a picture of the antenna. I posted the original pic of the chrome tree, pointing out where the antenna was. Then he went back and edited his post (#130) to read totally differently than it was before. As a result, it made my post (#131) appear to be a total non-sequitur or random thought, I guess.

Edited by Danno

The kit in the photo looks good to me, but to be frank with you, no cash of mine will be used to get one. I have several Revell '69's, and i have a set of the decals somewhere, I watched the show back in the day, and got a kick out of it. I had an original MPC kit with the 500 rear window, which I stupidly used a derelict '70 Charger I built for the tunnel back window, as I preferrred the '69 to the '70 at the time. With the exception of Cooter's tow rig, I have the MPC DOH cars in my collection.

hmmm...some mistakes they corrected, the panellines between the rear trunk and window "still alive". Thats what i asked some pages ago about "new tool" they offered.

Thanks for the closeups Billy Joe ;)

over all i think, its a fair kit for beginners and anyone, to have a cheap basic for other projects. Like me, as i am not always motivated to build a full detailed kit like the Revell Chargers i have in my stash...can think about to order one.

When I was a kid this is the type of snap kit I would have loved. Colored parts that match the show colors, wheels I don't have to hollow out to see the spokes of, grill inserts in color, clear red taillights, etc.

The solid color snap kits never appealed to me as a kid much. If it was all one color with no engine, I just bought a glue kit.

I'm not a kid anymore, but I'll be buying at least one of these.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was a kid this is the type of snap kit I would have loved. Colored parts that match the show colors, wheels I don't have to hollow out to see the spokes of, grill inserts in color, clear red taillights, etc.

The solid color snap kits never appealed to me as a kid much. If it was all one color with no engine, I just bought a glue kit.

I'm not a kid anymore, but I'll be buying at least one of these.

I got the kit as well, but I really don't want to say this but... those grill inserts are base on a 1970 Charger grill.. not a 1969. Those will be 3 intems I won't be using on my kit when I build it. Them and the rims.. the AMT rims are way better detailed then the ones in this kit.

I like to think that I am a 'serious' modeller and I can get deeply involved with a detail build. I also like snap/pre-decorated kits too - they provide semi instant gratification when my latest serious project runs into a problem - repainting the body for the third time or something just doesn't fit. That's the time for pushing the frustrations aside and throwing a snapper together. I find this keeps the creative juices flowing and the hobby fun. I recommend it to everyone. Snappers don't have to be just for kids and beginners.

I have never built or bought a General Lee kit - just never appealed to me but I could see this kit in my stash for one of those quick fun and relaxing builds.

• 3 weeks later...

Tim, while I respect your knowledge & service to our hobby, I too have been involved, to a certain degree, with a Japanese kit manufacturer, who right now is making/kitting some of the best detailed & quality kits going around. So I have some idea about cost/profitability in the process of what's viable to kit up/sell.

Just asking...have you mentioned Aussie cars to your Japanese Model maker?

I know of the show, just never seen it. I'm more a Knight Rider fan. Maybe because I'm just a Yankee:/

That's no excuse!! The Dukes were on at 8PM on Friday nights and Knight Rider came on at 9PM!! I spent every Friday night glued to the TV on the living room floor with my 1:16 scale General and my talking KITT making laps in the Carpet 500 during commercials! :lol: