Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rust T phaeton- Built at the weekend.

sk8erdave

Having been laid of (again!!!) on Tuesday last week, I was fed up of sulking so decided to get back on the workbench. I needed a break from foiling my catalina 421SD so decided to make something out of this model T phaeton. I got the kit of ebay, knowing the hot rod parts were gone. I had planned to use the body to make a lakester/modified out of it but it never happened. The kit was missing the steering arms/wishbones, steering column, steering wheel and the soft top had been chopped along with the screen. So I decided to make a barn fins out of it.
I used citadel paints and the salting technique again. I got some brown spray from games workshop (mournfang brown) and chaos black spray was the top colour. On top of the brown spray I used agrax earhshade and nuln oil washes to darken it, then stippled and dry brushed skrag brown and a tiny bit of troll slayer orange to create the rust.
Water and salt was then applied, allowed to dry then chaos black sprayed on for the top colour. I used a sponge (the green top bit) to remove the salt and further dull the black.
The "chrome" was first stripped with oven cleaner spray (fast and effective) of the headlight rings and bumpers. I then used revell steel as a base colour, followed by a wash of nuln oil, then stippled my rust colours on. The interior was brown spray again washed down with agrax earhshade and nuln oil, and a wash of reikland fleshshade to help darken and add some brown back to the colour. I then dry brushed steel legion drab on the interior to help add detail as the interior was all one piece with little detail. I could have created depth using colour but that would have taken ages, and it was to be a quick build. I also added sand using pva to the underside to simulate dirt accumulated from driving.
A first for me was using a lighter to heat the tyres then press down on a hard surface (the vice in the garage) to simulate squared tyres as result of having been sat for a while. On one wheel, some spokes snapped, on another a couple melted, all adding to the illusion of an ancient car. I used this to my advantage, the idea being its had a slight unexpected venture of road....
I plan to make a diorama once I can afford to buy some balsa wood..
IMG_0675_zps0f073591.jpg
IMG_0677_zps2c174022.jpg
IMG_0678_zpsb74884a8.jpg

ohb that poor model T ....... looks like it's been sitting in the field for years ............awesome job of weathering I'm thinking I have to do one of these soon !!!! soon as I get my other projects finished !!! hahahaha but you did it in a weekend !!!!! I'm impressed ...........