Model Cars Magazine Forum

Valvoline Top Fuel Dragster

krishna.iskandana

Hi again,
Here's an old but recently completed kit from Revell, Joe Amato's Valvoline Top Fuel Dragster which won the 1990 NHRA Top Fuel Series Championship.
I added the engine wires and light weathered the exhaust pipes. The color is tamiya blue and pure white.
Let me know what you think and thanks for looking.
Best Regards
Krishna Iskandana
Jakarta, Indonesia
Perth, Western Australia
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster1_zps703bc4cf.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster6_zps7bebf809.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster4_zps33b317fe.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster5_zpsc3d1578e.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster2_zpsb04265be.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster3_zps033c9ffc.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster7_zpscc5ad0ca.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster8_zps086679c9.j

Hi,

NIce job on the dragster. The paint and decals look well done.

If you do another top fuel model (either dragster or funny car) have a go at plumbing the fuel system as well, you'll be amazed at how much more life it'll give the engine. Here's one of mine - its got the later ignition system with dual magnetos but the fuel system is pretty much same as the dragster you've built.

Powelldragster022.jpg

It is nice to see people doing drag racing models.

I've been watching some of the Australian drag racing on TV this year - there is some pretty good racing going on down there!

Nice Dragster Krishna.

One small detail tho'... if it would be correct Joe's 1990 car should have number 2 on the wing end plates because Gary Ormsby won the NHRA Top Fuel Championship title 1989 with his Castrol GTX dragster and therefore had number 1 in the following year 1990, Joe was runner up in the series 1989 and had number 2 1990. ;)

The year after (1991) it was the other way around, as Joe won the Championship 1990 he had number 1 in 1991, Gary came 2:nd and had number 2.

Edited by Force

Nice Dragster Krishna.

One small detail tho'... if it would be correct Joe's 1990 car should have number 2 on the wing end plates because Gary Ormsby won the NHRA Top Fuel Championship title 1989 with his Castrol GTX dragster and therefore had number 1 in the following year 1990, Joe was runner up in the series 1989 and had number 2 1990. ;)

The year after (1991) it was the other way around, as Joe won the Championship 1990 he had number 1 in 1991, Gary came 2:nd and had number 2.

Thanks for the correction, mate.

Thank you all for your kind appreciations.

Regards

Hi,

NIce job on the dragster. The paint and decals look well done.

If you do another top fuel model (either dragster or funny car) have a go at plumbing the fuel system as well, you'll be amazed at how much more life it'll give the engine. Here's one of mine - its got the later ignition system with dual magnetos but the fuel system is pretty much same as the dragster you've built.

Powelldragster022.jpg

It is nice to see people doing drag racing models.

I've been watching some of the Australian drag racing on TV this year - there is some pretty good racing going on down there!

I still have a Tony Nancy's Revell-Liner left on my stash, I might try to plumb the fuel system as you suggested on that project.

Thanks again

Nice build

Hi again,
Here's an old but recently completed kit from Revell, Joe Amato's Valvoline Top Fuel Dragster which won the 1990 NHRA Top Fuel Series Championship.
I added the engine wires and light weathered the exhaust pipes. The color is tamiya blue and pure white.
Let me know what you think and thanks for looking.
Best Regards
Krishna Iskandana
Jakarta, Indonesia
Perth, Western Australia
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster1_zps703bc4cf.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster6_zps7bebf809.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster4_zps33b317fe.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster5_zpsc3d1578e.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster2_zpsb04265be.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster3_zps033c9ffc.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster7_zpscc5ad0ca.j
ValvolineTop-FuelDragster8_zps086679c9.j

I like what you have done,its a good build,i do agree the slicks could do with a bit more sanding,But hey ,i can see you have put alot of effort into it and it does look good.I would be happy to have that in my collection!