Model Cars Magazine Forum

1933 Dodge Pickup with Red Ram Hemi, Scratch build project

Hey Guys.

This has been an on again off again project for the last year or so, lately more on than off. I originally put this up on the forum last year but decided to not continue with the thread. There were a number of reasons for stopping and one was that I was not happy with how it looked and I was more focussed on other projects. Over the last couple of months I have been putting more time into it where I can.

What makes this build such a challenge is the amount of scratch building involved. As well as the chassis and hood and grill insert, the floor has been scratch built. Other parts that will be scratch built include the dash and gauges. Parts from four different kits have gone into this project so far. The rear fenders, grill shell and windscreen frame are from the Revell 32 Ford. The cab itself is made up from three different kits, the lower part of the doors came from the AMT 34 five window coupe, the upper half is made up from the MPC switchers 32 tudor and the rear cab is from a resin 34 cab. The front fenders are from the same MPC 32 switchers kit. The pick up bed and floor are from the Revell Monogram 37 Ford Pickup. All of these parts have been
extensively modified to fit.

When it comes to engines there is really only one choice of power plant in a Mopar and its a certainly not a small block Chev, its got to be a Hemi. I have quite few to choose from but I have opted for the Red Ram from the AMT 29 Model A Roadster for the simple fact that it the nicest of all the Hemi designs in my opinion. I won't be running the ugly supercharger, opting instead for an old school Hillborn injection. The front end will be the dropped I beam in the image and the rear end will be a nine inch with a Halibrand style quick change rear. The housing for the diff is scratch built as well.The I beam came out of the Revell 40 Ford coupe with the spring coming from the Lindberg 34 Pickup. You might just be able to see the chassis in the background, that has been totally scratch built as well, its still to be finished.

P8093140_zps0ed97960.jpg

Edited by fractalign

One of the biggest challenges was making the grill. The upper part was easy enough but getting the curve at the bottom was tricky. The grill bars are actually resin running boards that were dipped in boiling water to get the curve and then cut to shape. There is still some work to do to finish it off but the hardest part is behind me.

P8093144_zps2a561d39.jpg

The final image gives a better idea of the layout. The wheel siting in the roof is what i want to run on the rear. They are Whitewall slicks. The Torque Thrusts are from the Revell 32 kit. You will notice there is no firewall or running boards, these are two more things I will need to scratch build along with a centre for the top. I have something very special in mind for the top and the running boards that will be keeping in theme with the nostalgia look that I am going for with this build. This is where things stand at the moment. My next task will be to make the 32 windscreen frame sit flush inside the cab.

P8093150_zps87af51f9.jpg

Edited by fractalign

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...