Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tony Stewart 8/10/2014 Canadaigua Speedway

Greg Myers

Tony Stewart had one split second decision.

When you have that small amount of time to take action, you don't always take the right action.

If everyone had all the time they needed for every decision, no one would ever make a mistake.

It's easy for the arm chair drivers to say what they would've could've done. The difference is they never have to prove it.

Very well said.

number one: He could have stayed inside his car.

He could have stayed beside his car.

He could have thrown his helmet or a dirt clod at him.

He could have confronted him in the pits.

Tony Stewart had one split second decision. When you have that small amount of time to take action, you don't always take the right action. If everyone had all the time they needed for every decision, no one would ever make a mistake. It's easy for the arm chair drivers to say what they would've could've done. The difference is they never have to prove it. There's no rewind in life. It happens and it's over.

Well said Roger. I agree

A very tragic, needless event.

I downloaded the video from YOUTUBE and the first time I watch it, I felt TS may have tried to SEND A MESSAGE or something like that.

But, then, I just kept replaying the impact part, over and over again.

This is what I see, and I sure am no expert on dirt racing:

KW was clearly angry.

It looks like he was pointing at another car that was about the same colors as TS.

Then he just missed getting hit by the blue and white car.

Then comes TS.

TS is almost past him when he gunned his engine, and the backend swerves away from KS. The backed swerves away from KS, not towards him.

Did KW try to reach in and hit TS? Get hung up then run over by the rear tire? That is what it looks like to me. I think TS tried to avoid him once he saw him, but, KW was too close.

Certainly, I was not there. I do feel however, that having a chance to view this vedio over and over and over, that you can get a better view of what happened.

I also realize that, to any eyewitnesses sitting up in the stands, on the other side of the track, at nite, that it would look like TS had hit the guy on purpose.

Just my opinion, and yes, I am a longtime TS fan.

My opinion. This is an unfortunate racing incident, accident. Yes, Tony Stewart is a high profile driver, he is also a human being whom I do not see as being so calloused that he would not feel remorse for accidently taking another person's life. Even an enraged professional driver realizes that he has too much to lose from on track stupidity; they are schooled on how to represent their sponsors.

Someone commented on the forum that both the tire which ran over Kevin Ward and the in car camera were pulled off of Tony Stewart's car immediately, this was more than likely done to preserve evidence, not hide it. Upset crowds tend to want to rip apart everything associated with the perceived evildoer, we see it on the news almost daily.

The closest I've been to these cars was when my younger brother used to crew on a local driver's sprinter as well as his "Winston West" Stock Car. I've watched a few races from the pit wall. These cars are erratic and twitchy even in the best hands, sprint cars winged or not have had a reputation as being one of the more dangerous forms of circle track racing. The first thing I was told even before we got to the track was; The moving race car always has the right of way, in the pits and especially on the track, never, ever step onto the live track no matter what happens even under black flag a car could still be moving.

The other thing that I am reminded of by this incident was when Dale Ernhardt Sr. died, there were cries that Sterling Marlin shoved Dale into the wall on purpose. Every armchair Race Car Driver came out of the woodwork voicing their opinion on Sterling Marlin's actions whether it was intentional or not. So sad a person dies and people feel the need to vilify everyone involved, whether they are privy to all the facts or not.

To me the important thing about this accident is that a young man died through a combination of poor choices, first and foremost his own for walking onto a live racing surface. Things just got worse from there. I watched the video of the accident, it is sickening to the point that I feel that I cannot pass judgement as to whom the majority of the blame lies.

The networks have played and studied this over and over, interviewed the best experts, and still can't come to a conclusion.

How can anyone on this small forum have an opinion worth listening to?

And we think that any of the talking heads on any of the networks have any background or experience in making this determination?

G

Then block everyone. We all have a right to a opinion.

Again I say Exactly, and that is why these types of threads don't last long!

Your opinion seems to be more important than someone else's. And instead of discussing the facts you argue about misinformed hearsay, mainstream media misguided and agenda driven news. What a bunch of bleeding hearts.

Of course this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree or even respond. Locked thread in 3,2,and 1....

This is a terrible tragedy. Nobody ever wants this to happen. As stated above, he shouldve never got out of the car, and tried to confront anybody, i dont care who it was, on the track like that. These hot head race car drivers do this more than some people think or care to know, this is just the worse case scenario, and is absolutely tragic. I agree with what some have said that Tony was trying to get close and say hey kid, watch it and it got away from him, i do not believe that he was going for this result. Bottom line, the sport of racing lost a talented young driver, and now Tony is responsible for that and has to live with that on his head for the rest of his life. Both were wrong and all we can hope and pray for, is this never happens again. The sport of auto racing, in any form, is dangerous enough, without adding aggression and rage and heated tempers to the cocktail of emotions. RIP Kevin.

tony stewart is a hot headed idiot, period..he attracts this...not the first time he seeked someone out..I think all his sponsers should drop him like a bad habit.. granted the other driver should have stayed in his car

tony will some day have to account for his actions....