Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Monte Carlo

Scottnkat

This is the AMT kit of the old first-generation Monte Carlo SS 454. I had one of these that I got from my dad when I was a teenager. I modeled the kit after my old car. The biggest change I had to do was make the vinyl top as the kit is a hardtop. This was my first time doing this, but I like how it came out.

010a_zps33c37eaf.jpg

011a_zps206a821b.jpg

012a_zpsb763ed22.jpg

013a_zpsf4e45237.jpg

Here's the interior

016a_zpsb3044eb9.jpg

and here's under the hood

014a_zpsf9117145.jpg

Ok, I figured out what looked "off" to me. The lower edge of the vinyl roof on your model has the wrong curves to it. See how on the real car, the bottom edge of the roof on the side follows the same curve as the fender? And the lower edge in the back follows the curve of the trunk lid. Your roof edges are curving in the opposite way. Also, note the strip of metal that surrounds the side windows. The vinyl roof does not meet the window trim, there is a gap between the edge of the vinyl and the side windows.

monte-carlo_zpsa2f79e4e.jpg

Nice.

But Harry's right, the vinyl roof looks 'aftermarket' since it doesn't have the signature GM 'halo' of body color metal on the sides and since it doesn't follow the 1:1's lines. It's a subtle effect, but just enough to cause the model to seem to look 'odd.'

Still, it's a nice build.

Nice.

But Harry's right, the vinyl roof looks 'aftermarket' since it doesn't have the signature GM 'halo' of body color metal on the sides and since it doesn't follow the 1:1's lines. It's a subtle effect, but just enough to cause the model to seem to look 'odd.'

Still, it's a nice build.

Exactly. I knew something was "off" right away but couldn't put my finger on it. Something just didn't seem right. I had to do a google search to find what it was.

That and if you remember when these cars were new and fairly common on the streets it seems they all had fender skirts and color keyed wheel covers- dark green or gold with a vinyl top probably made up 90% of sales :)

Certainly didn't see many with the "sportier" look (i.e. "open" rear wheelwells, rally wheels or Cragars, "brighter" colors) like you do today (or even when they became old enough to become used cars cheap enough for younger drivers)

Edited by ChrisPflug

Looks pretty good to me.....Like a nice custom job for the "Donks" I see quite often around here.....You did a great job on this model.....Especially for a first attempt....Do you have a picture of your old car?? I like it....I think my aunt used to have one of these back in the day.....Keep on building and posting....I like this....

Edited by kilrathy10

It's not exactly like the red car pictured but in his description, Scottnkat says it is his first time doing a vinyl roof, so, I think we all need to give him a hand, it came out pretty darn good! Besides, there were many of these cars, as well as Chevelles, Novas, Camaros, and Impalas back in the day that didn't have a vinyl roof from the factory . Many dealers installed vinyl tops on cars not so equipped, and didn't always stay true to the factory formula. My Dad had the dealer install a Half vinyl roof and small opera windows, measured out from a 74 Eldorado, to his 74 Impala Custom Coupe when he bought it, brand new. This combination was never even offered by the factory. My Dad hated the huge triangular side windows, and fat B pillar. Doing the half top and opera windows made a huge difference and almost everyone mistook the car for a Cadillac when it was new.

Edited by exnyman

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it was my first time doing that. I don't have pictures of the car so I had to do this from memory, but I don't remember that strip of body paint under the roof. I could be completely wrong and if I am, oh well. I built the car for my own benefit and just wanted to share it. If you don't like the roof, that's fine and your prerogative. I like it especially since it was my first time. Basically, thanks to everyone (well, almost everyone) for the nice comments. I decided to delete what I had actually written and I'll just leave it at thank you.