Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Builders Club Of America

Hello fellow builders - I recently obtain 2 model kits that were a " Model Builders Club Of America Selection" classified kits - They were mailed from 11311 La Cienega - Los Angleles,CA. 90045 -

Question: Does this club still exist and does it still retain the same name?

The 2 kits I have are as follows:

The first is: The Baron and his(5-winges)Funfdecker Flokker(outside box opened but all parts are still factory sealed inside

The second is: Flt.Lft. Rif Raf & his Spitsfire (kit remains factory sealed from the Model Builders Club

Both kits are dated 1976 by Revell, Inc. Venice, Calif. 90291

Anyone still in the club or have some knowledge of it the information would be great - And would like to know where the other kits made for the club and what companies were involved -

Anyone can post here or send me a message -

Thank you for your time -

Joe

I used to be a member of the "MBCOA" when I was a kid back in the late 70's. There was a sign up flyer inside T.V. Guide! Basically, you would sign up and select a kit from the add, and after that, they would send you a kit every month, I think you had the option of sending them back if you did not want them, but, as a kid, I just kept them! Most of the kits where from Revell and eventually they started sending out Monogram kits.

Revell had the Master Model Builders Club, that I believe later became the Young Model Builders Club, and that one you signed up with the flyer that came in their kits. It only cost a $1! You got some tools comprising of some tweezers, file, glue applicator, brush and some paints along with a certificate of membership, to hang in your room or club house, as they advertised, and a Revell Patch. Plus a newsletter with tips, the latest release news and a section devoted to Art sent in by members.

Both of them went away back in the early 80's and they are no more. Real bummer, it was a cool thing for kids back then.

And! I just found this! Good reading!!

http://www.ironmodeler.com/2011/01/revell-master-modelers-club.html

Edited by Daddyfink
  • Like 1

I have two Revell T-Bone Stakes from the Model Builders Of America kits.They're dated 1974 and 1975.

the one dated 1975 has a Broadway,New York address.

The one dated 1974 has a plastic bag from Model Builders with cross action tweezers,file,paintbrush,cement,thinner,and four bottles of paint.

Also, both kits have a Revell Modeling Handbook.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input/knowledge - Now next question: Are these kits something people collect and should I trade them off? - I'm not much of a air plane person but really don't know what I have here as far as trading material - Again - Any help would be great - Thanks - Joe

• 7 years later...

I found that T-Bone Stake kit in a Goodwill store several years ago.

Traded it for something else about a year later.

I remember a freind of mine was in the club. He had a Revell (ex-Aurora) Jag XKE kit. I recall that the wheels from that kit had some of the best molding I had ever seen. Those wheels eventually wound up on one of my Hot Rod Kitbashes.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2014 at 11:19 PM, Daddyfink said:

I used to be a member of the "MBCOA" when I was a kid back in the late 70's. There was a sign up flyer inside T.V. Guide! Basically, you would sign up and select a kit from the add, and after that, they would send you a kit every month, I think you had the option of sending them back if you did not want them, but, as a kid, I just kept them! Most of the kits where from Revell and eventually they started sending out Monogram kits.

Revell had the Master Model Builders Club, that I believe later became the Young Model Builders Club, and that one you signed up with the flyer that came in their kits. It only cost a $1! You got some tools comprising of some tweezers, file, glue applicator, brush and some paints along with a certificate of membership, to hang in your room or club house, as they advertised, and a Revell Patch. Plus a newsletter with tips, the latest release news and a section devoted to Art sent in by members.

Both of them went away back in the early 80's and they are no more. Real bummer, it was a cool thing for kids back then.

And! I just found this! Good reading!!

http://www.ironmodeler.com/2011/01/revell-master-modelers-club.html

I still have three or four of the newsletters from Master Modelers Club. I haven't looked at those things, in ages!