Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mustang GT Funny Car AWB

AC Norton

• 1 month later...

Years ago I built this Mustang. When the kit was reissued (at least I think it's supposed to be the same kit), it appears that the body is slightly different (no louvers on roof side), and wheels are not the same. Is this correct? I haven't seen the kit first hand, and web photos of box are pretty much useless to me, as are searches for the kit contents.

Newer kit I'm referring to.

GT%203_zps4ttpbi1u.jpg

I believe the box is the only difference, but I have not seen first hand. Cool old kit though.

Thanks for that. I may just take the gamble, and assume it's the same kit. The goal here, is to duplicate (more or less) the same model I attempted all those years ago, but hopefully, better this time.

So, I have a question for the model kit historians out there; does anybody know if this kit was derived/created by AMT by them taking their 1/25 factory-stock, 1966 Ford Mustang kit and putting the drag racing chassis, wheels and engine underneath it, and then altering the interior and body to make it an altered-wheelbase body with those enlarged rear wheel wells? It seems to me like that is pretty-likely how this kit was created, but I am curious.

So, I have a question for the model kit historians out there; does anybody know if this kit was derived/created by AMT by them taking their 1/25 factory-stock, 1966 Ford Mustang kit and putting the drag racing chassis, wheels and engine underneath it, and then altering the interior and body to make it an altered-wheelbase body with those enlarged rear wheel wells? It seems to me like that is pretty-likely how this kit was created, but I am curious.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what happened--and to several other desirable kits, too, such as the '65 Chevelle and Chevy II and '66 Barracuda.

The interiors weren't altered, they were all-new pieces AFAIK.

I wonder if it would be even possible to restore the Nova and the '66 Barracuda to stock. Either of those kits would pry my wallet open for a few copies. I bet I'm not the only one, either.

It would take some work but the Cuda body COULD be restored. They'd have to de-redius the rear wheels and add back all the stock trim. I dunno if the interior and chassis/engine molds still exist.

IIRC, the Nova still has the body trim, or most of it, so would just need the wheel openings moved back. Again, I don't know know if the interior/chassis still exists.

I'm planning to move the wheel openings back on one myself, and then put it on a '66 Nova chassis. Not sure yet what I'll do for an interior--maybe modify the '66, or maybe Modelhaus has guts for early Novas. I could also just use the body on a Trumpeter chassis/interior--I have a Trumpy convertible kit and no interest in building a ragtop.

Edited by Snake45

It would take some work but the Cuda body COULD be restored. They'd have to de-redius the rear wheels and add back all the stock trim. I dunno if the interior and chassis/engine molds still exist.

IIRC, the Nova still has the body trim, or most of it, so would just need the wheel openings moved back. Again, I don't know know if the interior/chassis still exists.

I'm planning to move the wheel openings back on one myself, and then put it on a '66 Nova chassis. Not sure yet what I'll do for an interior--maybe modify the '66, or maybe Modelhaus has guts for early Novas. I could also just use the body on a Trumpeter chassis/interior--I have a Trumpy convertible kit and no interest in building a ragtop.

Just checked and Modelhaus does offer a complete '63 Chevy II interior set. B)

• 3 years later...
On 9/19/2014 at 10:26 PM, AC Norton said:

I am hopeful that at some point round 2 amt may just gear up and dig out some other awb kits that all would enjoy...lets hope...the ace.. :P

I'm a bit surprised they haven't done that yet, especially considering they have reissued most of the kits both Model King and Stevens International released. I wouldn't mind seeing the Tempest before the Falcon, but my guess is the Chevy II "Rat Packer" will be reissued first, right about the time Moebius' Chevy II/Nova drops. -_-

I picked up the Mustang kit, mainly for the decal sheets and a few parts, and while it has a few odd parts (the textured spokes of the front wheels really stand out, but they are probably Ansen, Superior, or another knockoff brand/model of the S/S), it's a very period kit, locked into that pre-Funny Car era of A/FX and match race cars. The decal sheet is great, and even if you just use the kit for parts, it worth the cost at current eBay prices (<$25 to your door). It's too bad the Ford SOHC engine isn't better, as that would really push the value of this kit over the top. -_- More pics of the contents here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/842/amt-1965-ford-mustang-funny

dec.jpg.8fd945f02423cb80c1f973986d8d9464.jpg

text.jpg.e5330e1ddccf62437a4db0a980cc3195.jpg

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm a bit surprised they haven't done that yet, especially considering they have reissued most of the kits both Model King and Stevens International released. I wouldn't mind seeing the Tempest before the Falcon, but my guess is the Chevy II "Rat Packer" will be reissued first, right about the time Moebius' Chevy II/Nova drops. -_-

I picked up the Mustang kit, mainly for the decal sheets and a few parts, and while it has a few odd parts (the textured spokes of the front wheels really stand out, but they are probably Ansen, Superior, or another knockoff brand/model of the S/S), it's a very period kit, locked into that pre-Funny Car era of A/FX and match race cars. The decal sheet is great, and even if you just use the kit for parts, it worth the cost at current eBay prices (<$25 to your door). It's too bad the Ford SOHC engine isn't better, as that would really push the value of this kit over the top. -_- More pics of the contents here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/842/amt-1965-ford-mustang-funny

dec.jpg.8fd945f02423cb80c1f973986d8d9464.jpg

text.jpg.e5330e1ddccf62437a4db0a980cc3195.jpg

....I have 2 of these kits, and even though it has a million shortcomings, I have always loved it. The decal sheet is just killer and probably worth the price of admission itself..lol...as for the textured front wheels, if memory serves I seem to recall a Cragar  wheel around in the 60s and thru part of the early 70s that was flat black, with some texture. I had Keystone Rogues on my 1.1 68 Roadrunner, and Keystone Classics on my 69 Swinger 340, but there was a 68 Nova that hung around with some of us at a local burger joint that sported these exact wheels,,, think they were known as ' CRAGAR  GT's'.... but the model wheels seem to be a bit too textured compared to the actual ones as I recall....Also, interesting note on this AWB issue...early releases were void of the header collectors that are needed here....I actually contacted Round2 and they sent me 2 sets for both my kits, so check your to see if your kit has them, as apparently all was corrected in later runs of this issue.....thanks Casey, as always for great input....the Ace....:rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, AC Norton said:

the model wheels seem to be a bit too textured compared to the actual ones as I recall.

I think that's the main issue, and one not easily corrected. Not a deal breaker, but the texture is way too heavy, unfortunately.

I was considering buying the decal sheet alone, then realized the ladder bars and slicks could be put to good use, too, so I took what I needed and re-sold the rest, leaving me with another great box to display. :)

1 hour ago, AC Norton said:

....I have 2 of these kits, and even though it has a million shortcomings, I have always loved it. The decal sheet is just killer and probably worth the price of admission itself..lol...as for the textured front wheels, if memory serves I seem to recall a Cragar  wheel around in the 60s and thru part of the early 70s that was flat black, with some texture. I had Keystone Rogues on my 1.1 68 Roadrunner, and Keystone Classics on my 69 Swinger 340, but there was a 68 Nova that hung around with some of us at a local burger joint that sported these exact wheels,,, think they were known as ' CRAGAR  GT's'.... but the model wheels seem to be a bit too textured compared to the actual ones as I recall....Also, interesting note on this AWB issue...early releases were void of the header collectors that are needed here....I actually contacted Round2 and they sent me 2 sets for both my kits, so check your to see if your kit has them, as apparently all was corrected in later runs of this issue.....thanks Casey, as always for great input....the Ace....:rolleyes:

Yah, they were Cragar GTs and the spokes were black (maybe available in gray, too). I've seen them in ads but I don't recall ever seeing a set in 3D, nor in magazine pics of any prominent car. Paint 'em black and the texture won't show so much, and they ARE technically period-correct. 

15 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Yah, they were Cragar GTs and the spokes were black (maybe available in gray, too). I've seen them in ads but I don't recall ever seeing a set in 3D, nor in magazine pics of any prominent car. Paint 'em black and the texture won't show so much, and they ARE technically period-correct. 

....Up in this area, there were quite a few guys who ran these wheels, street and strip-only cars as well, but they were easily mistaken as many 'knock off' companies pirated several wheels at that time....I do know that if those wheels were neglected from care and regular cleaning, they tarnished easily, and became very dull and weathered looking quickly....you did see them around, but certainly Cragar S/S and several others dominated the scene.....the Ace...;)

They probably are supposed to be Cragar G/T wheels, and the texture was exaggerated. Pactra Flat Black was pretty thick back then. :D

Whatever they're supposed to be, they're disappointing and not just the texture -- check out the outer half of the lugs nuts floating in space. :unsure:

20 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Maybe they were supposed to be Cragar "Sparklers". They had a bit of texture to them.

DSC02411s.jpg

Image result for CRAGAR sparkler

God, I'd forgotten about those wheels, as back in the day there was a zillion street/strip wheels out there by another zillion manufacturers.....I think all the players were trying to capture your bucks by coming up with as many ideas and designs as possible, and all copying each others designs with a slight change or ever so slight difference wheel to wheel......glad you jumped in here, Steve, as I need a jolt like this from time to time to check and see if I'm still awake...lol...the Ace....:lol:

I had a set of the wheels in 1:1 that were textured like that (blacked out spokes) back in the 70's but they were a Cragar lookalike wheel that I bought at K Mart!

On my Mustang kit I recently finished I painted them with Testors Steel and it toned down the texture a lot and they look really good!