Model Cars Magazine Forum

`70 Plymouth Cuda "AAR" 340 + 6 pack-Revell

69NovaYenko

Now that Revell has released the stock `70 Cuda Hemi car as well as the Sox & Martin `70 pro-stock Hemi car has anyone heard anything about a `70 Cuda "AAR" kit in the works anytime soon?

A 1/25 scale replica of this venerable Mopar has been LONG over due. Revell`s 1/24 scale attempt at this car was sorely lacking in many respects. Revell`s newly tooled 1/25 scale replica of the `70 Cuda is a much better platform to build from...yea I know there are those who have issues/concerns with the newly tooled kit but; it`s a far sight better than the old MPC `70 Cuda annual kit...IMHO.

Prior to the initial release of the stock `70 Hemi Cuda there was talk of the Sox & Martin kit being the next spin off from the new tooling and the third spin off would be a `70 "AAR" 340 Cuda.

Whats the scuttlebutt..inquiring minds wanna know!!! :-)

I trust I`m not the only one eagerly await a new `70 Cuda "AAR" 340 + 6 in 1/25 scale.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I heartily agree Greg! The AAR would round out the kit offerings, almost like the old 3 in 1 kits of my youth 'cept now you build all three. Then Revell can focus on more brand new toolings. I'd much rather get a new kit, rather than repops, especially at today's prices.

Cheers Misha

When the Revell team finally unveiled the first round of test shots of the '70 'cuda tool (at the 2012 NNL Nationals), we went to dinner with them after the event. As we waited for our tables (the group was pretty large!!!), I remember talking to Revell personnel about future plans for the 'cuda tool.

It's been nearly two years now and so the memory is not quite as clear as it was back then, and I have to be careful not to unintentionally divulge anything that they would consider to be confidential information, but the jest of the conversation I can share was that they had not taken any firm plans on what might come next from the tool (which was originally designed to incorporate both of the versions that are now on the market). But they were aware that a 'cuda AAR (restored stock) would be a fairly simple addition to the kit tool (but less so, an authentic AAR Trans Am racer).

The upshot of the conversation was, additional variants of the 'cuda tool could be within the realm of the possible, if the first two kits sold well, just as they continued to develop derivatives of the '32 Ford Street Rod series over the life of that tool.

Personally, I would like to see them incorporate further fine tuning of the body casting to address some of the minor errors, as part of engineering any additional variants of the kit in the future.

Best regards...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I wonder if contemporary Parts Packs would "solve" the variations "issues" ?

Let's say that Revell were to instead make available separate engines (340 and a "generic" 383/440) , separate transmissions (727 Torqueflite and 833 four speed) , separate differentials (really , just the 8.75" variant , as the coveted Dana 60 already exists in the present offerings) , manual drum brake master cylinder , etc. etc.

Thoughts ?

When the Revell team finally unveiled the first round of test shots of the '70 'cuda tool (at the 2012 NNL Nationals), we went to dinner with them after the event. As we waited for our tables (the group was pretty large!!!), I remember talking to Revell personnel about future plans for the 'cuda tool.

It's been nearly two years now and so the memory is not quite as clear as it was back then, and I have to be careful not to unintentionally divulge anything that they would consider to be confidential information, but the jest of the conversation I can share was that they had not taken any firm plans on what might come next from the tool (which was originally designed to incorporate both of the versions that are now on the market). But they were aware that a 'cuda AAR (restored stock) would be a fairly simple addition to the kit tool (but less so, an authentic AAR Trans Am racer).

The upshot of the conversation was, additional variants of the 'cuda tool could be within the realm of the possible, if the first two kits sold well, just as they continued to develop derivatives of the '32 Ford Street Rod series over the life of that tool.

Personally, I would like to see them incorporate further fine tuning of the body casting to address some of the minor errors, as part of engineering any additional variants of the kit in the future.

Best regards...TIM

Tim your feedback and insight are immensely appropriated and welcomed. Also, we fully understand your silents on confidential conversation.

Like you and many others I would like to see them incorporate further fine tuning of the body casting to address some of the minor errors, as part of engineering any additional variants of the kit in the future.

That said I was wondering if Revell has a Mopar mill in there existing repertoire that would could stand in for the 340 mill and 6 pack air cleaner or would that have to be a new tooling?

I`m aware of several items that would require new tooling for an AAR Cuda would be

Rear window louvers and rear deck spoiler

1970_plymouth_cuda_aar_340_six_barrel__g

Exhaust system

chassis_1_Custom4.jpg

Chin spoilers and driving lights

Plymouth_Bericuda_340-AAR_33.jpg

AAR Hood

19898175-770-02X-1.jpg

Also are the stock wheel cover part of Revell`s existing repertoire or will those have to be newly tooled as well?

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Tim your feedback and insight are immensely appropriated and welcomed. Also, we fully understand your silents on confidential conversation.

Like you and many others I would like to see them incorporate further fine tuning of the body casting to address some of the minor errors, as part of engineering any additional variants of the kit in the future.

That said I was wondering if Revell has a Mopar mill in there existing repertoire that would could stand in for the 340 mill and 6 pack air cleaner or would that have to be a new tooling?

I`m aware of several items that would require new tooling for an AAR Cuda would be

Rear window louvers and rear deck spoiler

Exhaust system

Chin spoilers and driving lights

AAR Hood

Also are the stock wheel cover part of Revell`s existing repertoire or will those have to be newly tooled as well?

Revell has all of the AAR parts already including the 340 engine, but they are in 1/24th scale and would thus require retooling to 1/25th scale to work w/ the new '70 kit.

Edited by Rob Hall

To pick nits, Plymouth used the term "6-BBL" or "6 BARREL". Dodge used "SIX-PACK" or "440-6". Either way, it would be nice to see other variations of this kit. And, AMT/Ertl included a 3X2 intake setup on a 340 in one issue of their '70 Duster kit. It's got an A/C system, but that should be easy to eliminate.

A quick work-around to avoid the A/C fan belt setup in the optional AAR-style induction setup in the AMT-Ertl '71 Duster 340, is to use the fan belt/accessory drive in the companion AMT-Ertl '71 Duster Street Machine kit (blue car on box art). It replicates a non-AC Mopar 340 setup.

TIM

A quick work-around to avoid the A/C fan belt setup in the optional AAR-style induction setup in the AMT-Ertl '71 Duster 340, is to use the fan belt/accessory drive in the companion AMT-Ertl '71 Duster Street Machine kit (blue car on box art). It replicates a non-AC Mopar 340 setup.

TIM

Exactly . The pulley and belts (and their routing) is different between engines with A/C and engines without A/C .

I've bought a couple of the Street Machine version just for the non-A/C arrangement !

Well, what options would you want in an AAR?

Here are mine:

Proper AAR exhaust,

Proper AAR hood

Proper AAR front winglets

Proper AAR grille (they are different from Cuda)

Proper AAR lights

Proper AAR 340 6 Bbl

Proper AAR big and littles

Rear window louvers

Bonus parts for a 'Street Sleeper' 2 in 1. Ok - so, maybe some of my options are too sleepy, but they would add a lot of variety...

Steel wheels with hubcaps and trim ring

flat hood

Go Wing for extra go

Single carb manifold with air cleaner and carb

stock exhaust - below the rear body

This would allow Revell to sell a lot of them, because we would all mix and match options to make a lot of different cars. Send them an email and tell them what you want in a kit, and it would probably help to know how many kits you would buy.

The licensing and tooling cost is too prohibitive to do a real Trans Am car. Same with the '67 Camaro.

• 4 months later...

When the announcement that Revell would release a '700 Cuda. There was chatter that after they issued a Sox and Martin version of the kit an "AAR Cuda" would be in the works.

Hence, the stock Cuda was released then the Sox and Martin drag car was released.

So, I was wondering if anyone had heard any buzz about a 1/25 scale Revell '70 AAR Cuda for 2015???

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I could make that happen for you.

All I'd have to do is put a buttload of time and work into finishing the Revell AAR Cuda body I started correcting about four years ago.

About five minutes after I finish the model, Revell will announce a new AAR. PM me for the address where to send checks/bribes. :lol:

70CudaAARWIP06.jpg

70CudaAARWIP12.jpg

70CudaAARWIP16.jpg