Model Cars Magazine Forum

Montgomery Mustang gasser

Mike Kucaba

I started this a few days ago and here are some of my observations of this kit, but first and foremost I want to thank Round 2 or whoever for re-issue of this kit AND the upgrade.

So far I have noticed some flash. I'm sure the tool has been worked harder than a rented mule so that's expected. Looking at the general molding it is done very delicately. There are e-pin marks etc, but not bad.Locating and installing the rear pan is tough,there is no locating tabs which would help. The chrome

is heavy and I've so far stripped some of the engine parts. A weird thing when cleaning up the valve covers was I looked at the engraved "SOHC" Instead it is "ZOHC"!?

More to come, maybe some pics.

I hate to whine,(at least with some cheese), but this stuff under the plating is .... I've tried super clean, 91% alcohol and now ammonia. I'm painting the engine and have to pick out little bits of this coating around the blower bolts,supercharger belts etc. Can someone find out what this is from R2 ? :(

I hate to whine,(at least with some cheese), but this stuff under the plating is .... I've tried super clean, 91% alcohol and now ammonia. I'm painting the engine and have to pick out little bits of this coating around the blower bolts,supercharger belts etc. Can someone find out what this is from R2 ? :(

I think that is the stuff they spray on to get the chrome to stick. You can spray primer over it and it'll be okay. But don't try to paint directly over it, it'll give you fisheyes and the paint will never dry. But I guess Sam's Club Commercial Floor Stripper works?

Thanks Marc. I'm not a Sam's club member, but someone in this park might be. I'll see if they'll get me a gallon.

Funny thing about floor strippers though. I us to use those but was having situations where it wasn't doing the job. Switched to ammonia and stuff floated off.

FYI, it's not just R2. I'm building the 1/16th Hawaiian by Revell and that schmootz was everywhere. I de-chromed everything but the wheels and clean up took me days with an Xacto and files. I've always used Easy Off oven cleaner.

I'd like to know if there's something that WORKS to take it all in one day or less. I'm impatient that way.