Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old AMT Kit Instruction Sheets

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, Casey said:

Were the AMT blueprint style instruction sheets included with all 1969 kits? I have a few blueprint style instruction sheets from annual kits, as well as one from the Cinder Bug kit, plus the 69 foot-long Camaro sheet is printed in black, not blue, ink:

WP_20180420_010.thumb.jpg.bce030c44447cb64188a0103244a8ebb.jpg

WP_20180420_011.thumb.jpg.86dd75800162bb764cdf4a007fa06b4b.jpg

Unfortunately one would need a huge flatbed scanner to scan these sheets. -_-

We have copy shops nearby that have the capability of copying "roll size" drawings (36" wide by however long the sheet is, within reason).  The copy will be black and white and as legible as the original is, printed on white bond paper.  I don't think they are unique to this area so maybe you can pursue that.  They are not scanners but blueprint machines that use a "zerox" type roll stock.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I wonder. In general, young people in 1969 were far more familiar with what a "blueprint" looked like than today...even the concept of doing drawings of manufactured items is now alien to most.

I respectfully disagree.....in 1969 I was and apprentice engineer and the company I worked for insisted that as such, I had to work for 2 years actually drawing various machine designs on bond, linen, or mylar, and "detailing" each component usually in 3 views with all the dimensioning and tolerancing so that a competent machinist could make it.  I almost always had to explain what a draftsman did and sometimes I would use a blueprint for this.  Most people were learning something new to them.

As for kids nowadays, with the advent of a wide variety of computer software available for sketching or developing drawings in just about any architecture it is used quite extensively.  My 4 grandsons have all had drafting classes in high school using computer software, it is a popular elective.  One grandson works part time for a local landscaping contractor and prepares computer generated drawings for quotation and installation purposes.

Edited by modelercarl
omitted word

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, Casey said:

Were the AMT blueprint style instruction sheets included with all 1969 kits? I have a few blueprint style instruction sheets from annual kits, as well as one from the Cinder Bug kit, plus the 69 foot-long Camaro sheet is printed in black, not blue, ink:

WP_20180420_010.thumb.jpg.bce030c44447cb64188a0103244a8ebb.jpg

WP_20180420_011.thumb.jpg.86dd75800162bb764cdf4a007fa06b4b.jpg

Unfortunately one would need a huge flatbed scanner to scan these sheets. -_-

I think all the '69 sheets I ever saw were the "blueprints," printed in blue. I notice you have the Camaro convertible (in black). I have the Camaro Hardtop and it's blue. I have the Corvette, Cougar, Impala, Riv, Wildcat, Falcon, El Camino, and some others and AFAIK they're all blue.

You're left in the dark about half of the stuff in the kits now. It's too bad we didn't have a section in the forum where the instruction sheets could be downloaded to. It would help some who have kits with no instructions. I know someone in the forum looking for the instruction sheets for this Ultra Z Street Machine and hasn't found them yet. I've looked everywhere on line to help and nothing.

ultra z.jpg

Edited by ewetwo
spelling error

46 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

You're left in the dark about half of the stuff in the kits now. It's too bad we didn't have a section in the forum where the instruction sheets could be downloaded to. It would help some who have kits with no instructions. I know someone in the forum looking for the instruction sheets for this Ultra Z Street Machine and hasn't found them yet. I've looked everywhere on line to help and nothing.

There are folks that have entire Fotki alnums dedicated to instructions and scans of the decals.

I don't have the web address handy, but I am sure someone can post it.

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I wonder. In general, young people in 1969 were far more familiar with what a "blueprint" looked like than today...even the concept of doing drawings of manufactured items is now alien to most.

It must just be your area Bill. Here in the DC area, the construction industry has been going strong for many years (even through the recession of the mid 2000's). AutoCad courses fill up quickly in this area and many young folks are still getting in the trades. I don't know much about the machinist trades, but there are two small shops in the same industrial park I am in.

Obviously, mechanical drafting has, for the most part, been replaced with computer aided drawing. Tools of the trade have changed, but the basic concept is still there.

15 minutes ago, Xingu said:

Obviously, mechanical drafting has, for the most part, been replaced with computer aided drawing. Tools of the trade have changed, but the basic concept is still there.

Yes, but today they're "whiteprints," not the light sensitive blueprints.

My dad was an architect, and I grew up with blueprints. My brothers and I loved drawing so we were always hitting up for more blueprints for drawing paper. The slightest change in an architectural drawing meant blueprints were continuously being updated, with old ones getting trashed. That's a lot of big drawing pads. I still have one true blue blueprints with blue base and white drawings.

I worked as a draftsman for a few years in the '60's producing engineering drawings and remember that revisions to a particular drawing were each given a suffix behind the number. The first revision was dash "A", the next dash "B" and so on. This was all if course before anything digital was ever conceived so the smallest drawing was a 9" x 12" which was a size "A" twice that a "B" size and on and on. The file drawers were these were only made to accommodate the "A" size so all larger drawings were all folded and filed numerically accordingly. Oh the good old days when we used T squares and electric erasers!

4 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I know someone in the forum looking for the instruction sheets for this Ultra Z Street Machine

Did that member post what they were looking for in the Wanted section? I looked through the first seven pages and didn't see it, but maybe I missed it?

Revell '82 Camaro Z/28 instructions, which should be pretty close: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/364/revell-7216-1982-28-camaro

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I think all the '69 sheets I ever saw were the "blueprints," printed in blue. I notice you have the Camaro convertible (in black). I have the Camaro Hardtop and it's blue. I have the Corvette, Cougar, Impala, Riv, Wildcat, Falcon, El Camino, and some others and AFAIK they're all blue.

I will have to do some digging and see if I can find any others printed with black ink. Kind of kills the whole blueprint theme that way. -_-

When I was in engineering school, I worked as a draftsman for a large mechanical contractor who did industrial projects and high-rise residential and office buildings.

My responsibility was laying out form holes in poured concrete floors to accommodate mechanical pass-throughs, and electrical and fluid lines for industrial equipment. On one project, the engineering office in NYC would send revisions almost daily regarding machinery specs and placement, and I had to update the working drawings as quickly as humanly possible. Getting the holes in the slabs wrong would cost my employer and the concrete contractor plenty in reworks, so accuracy and timeliness was critical.

I had taken "mechanical drawing" classes in high-school, so I was able to get this job while only a college freshman. The knowledge of what "mechanical drawing" was, and how it related to blueprints and different trades and professions, was common in the high-school I attended.

During that period, people who asked me what I did, to whom I replied "I'm a draftsman" knew, without exception, at least kinda what that meant. "Oh...you make blueprints" was the typical response.

Today, I still maintain that the concept of "draftsman", whether working with CAD or on a drawing board, is one of those concepts that USED to be general-knowledge, but is now only held in the vocabularies of those directly involved.

And when's the last time anyone saw a real blueprint?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If the instructions were printed to emulate real blueprints, they would have looked like negatives, that is, white images and lettering on a blue or black background. My technical drawing teacher at Brooklyn Technical H.S., C. Kyrie Kallas, taught us how to make blueprints from technical drawings we drew. They don't make' em like him anymore.

Image result for C. Kyrie Kallas

4 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

If the instructions were printed to emulate real blueprints, they would have looked like negatives, that is, white images and lettering on a blue or black background....

:D Exactly.

Image result for blueprint

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Did that member post what they were looking for in the Wanted section? I looked through the first seven pages and didn't see it, but maybe I missed it?

Revell '82 Camaro Z/28 instructions, which should be pretty close: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/364/revell-7216-1982-28-camaro

I will have to do some digging and see if I can find any others printed with black ink. Kind of kills the whole blueprint theme that way. -_-

I don't know if he asked the club. He asked me in a pm. Thank you Casey. I'll let him know. I couldn't find the Ultra Z anywhere either. There was a fotki site I checked out but they didn't have it either.