Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old AMT Kit Instruction Sheets

Drastic Plastics shut down a couple of years ago and most of their reference is gone, but some elements remain in abbreviated form. I have found that it is best to download anything you need for reference, now or potentially in the future, because you never know when it will disappear.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/

Here's their Revell page:

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/

AMT:

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/

Edited by sjordan2

Drastic Plastics did not shut down , Bob Black posted on this forum and others that he was just closing the web site due to costs . He transferred all of the instructions to his Fotki site which is linked to in the previous post , and is still accepting new instructions . The forum for instructions and box art are still active as is the Drastic Plastics Model Car Club .

Here's a link to submit instructions : http://modelinstructions.proboards.com/

Edited by TooOld

Drastic Plastics did not shut down , Bob Black posted on this forum and others that he was just closing the web site due to costs . He transferred all of the instructions to his Fotki site which is linked to in the previous post , and is still accepting new instructions . The forum for instructions and box art are still active as is the Drastic Plastics Model Car Club .

Here's a link to submit instructions : http://modelinstructions.proboards.com/

I see that there is a site as you mentioned where instructions can be submitted, but do you have a link to their old completed website with hundreds of instructions? The old site I mentioned was indeed shut down, but evidently transferred.

The link you posted is essentially useless in trying to find specific kit intructions, as drasticplastics.com did. The Fotki sites I've found and posted above are very limited and include much less than what used to exist.

I will repeat for the umpteenth time that anything of interest to you that is especially hosted on places like Photobucket and Fotki should be downloaded, because sooner or later they will be deleted at those sites.

Edited by sjordan2

The above instructions are the 1969 annual blueprint style. One year only. All the AMT annual '69 kits were like that.

Good advice on saving items of interest downloaded on your computer. I am constantly surprised on how many items that I have gone back to research, as recently as 2009, are simply non existant today. I can only guess that the servers or sites hosting the information have updated, purged or closed down.

Drastic Plastics was effectively shut down for a while. The instructions portion seems to have been transferred from their own url (thedpmcc.com) directly to their Fotki account, linked above, which is still missing a huge amount of the material they used to have (note that the Fotki url above says it's under construction). The Revell portion was very large, though the more complete Revell instructions can be accessed separately as shown in my post #6. As for the old url, many of the functions no longer operate, such as the forum and journal.

• 3 years later...
On 8/14/2014 at 11:50 AM, Bob Ellis said:

The above instructions are the 1969 annual blueprint style. One year only. All the AMT annual '69 kits were like that.

Were the AMT blueprint style instruction sheets included with all 1969 kits? I have a few blueprint style instruction sheets from annual kits, as well as one from the Cinder Bug kit, plus the 69 foot-long Camaro sheet is printed in black, not blue, ink:

WP_20180420_010.thumb.jpg.bce030c44447cb64188a0103244a8ebb.jpg

WP_20180420_011.thumb.jpg.86dd75800162bb764cdf4a007fa06b4b.jpg

Unfortunately one would need a huge flatbed scanner to scan these sheets. -_-

Edited by Casey

On 4/20/2018 at 9:35 PM, Casey said:

Were the AMT blueprint style instruction sheets included with all 1969 kits? I have a few blueprint style instruction sheets from annual kits, as well as one from the Cinder Bug kit, plus the 69 foot-long Camaro sheet is printed in black, not blue, ink:

WP_20180420_010.thumb.jpg.bce030c44447cb64188a0103244a8ebb.jpg

WP_20180420_011.thumb.jpg.86dd75800162bb764cdf4a007fa06b4b.jpg

Unfortunately one would need a huge flatbed scanner to scan these sheets. -_-

I bet 1969 modelers didn't really like them though it' a cool idea today

22 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

I would bet quite a few were used as a building mat and didn't survive.

I know somewhere on the forum there was discussion regarding how AMT used letter prefixes, and I though it was interesting that both Y- and T-prefixed instruction sheets were part of the blueprint sheets series.

26 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

I wonder. In general, young people in 1969 were far more familiar with what a "blueprint" looked like than today...even the concept of doing drawings of manufactured items is now alien to most.