Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Chevrolet Impala Flattop Sedan

AAM did one shortly before they ceased operation some 10 years ago. Will NOT be easy to find now....

ok, ok, I got the message, thanks. So whack off the roof of a modelhaus flattop something body and dig out the old panel scriber. Gosh, I'm not good at this, you know.

Junkman, Modelhaus sells that flattop roof section separately.

I have a project like that in mind for down the road-------I would start with the Monogram '59 Chevy convertible as a base. They're pretty plentiful and there's no windshield frame to have to wack off since the roof section has it molded in.

Heaven knows when I'll start on mine..............I have all the parts and pieces to do one, now all I need is the time and ambition! :)

Yep, that's what I had in mind. I do have several of the converts on the shelf. Only thing is, if you use the convert, you need to use the lower part of the windshield frame, i.e. where it rests on the cowl.

I'm not good at panel scribing though....

I found this link for R&R kits, I once owned a 60 Cadillac flat top and wanted to replicate my car. They list a 1960 Chevrolet flat top and a 60 cadillac 2 door so I was hoping to cut the whole centre section complete with doors to save time fabricating and scribing in the door shuts as I am not good at this either.

I do not know the quality or accuracy of these kits but the real car used the same front and rear glass and roof I believe, Then just scraping the trim down and adding the single spear as on the Cadillac series 62 cars. But looking at the body the sides are a different profile to the Cadillac .Here is a pic of an early effort built from a Gunze 1/32 kit.(just in case you missed it in the general thread) http://resinrealm.net/GALLERIES/RRGallery/index.html

I had also planned another version using an AMT 59 El Camino roof/rear glass and the RM 59 Cadillac. Might work with the 59 Chev but I have not measured this up yet

DSCF0120.jpg

I seem to remember someone made this body to go with the Revellogram 59 Chevy kits, or did I only dream this?

Does anybody out there know who it is and if it's still available?

I plead guilty to producing this one. It was mastered by installing the '59 Oldsmobile "flat roof" onto a Revell '59 Impala convertible. This one was mastered in 1994, and stayed in the line until about 1998, when orders for it dried up completely, the master needed major repairs, and the body mold was shot ('59 Chevy fins were MURDER on the RTV, no matter the mold layout).

The kit included not only the body shell, but also all the needed modified interior parts: Floor pan with rear seat, side panels converted to Impala 4dr, front seat, and vacformed glass.

Biscuitbuilder

• 3 weeks later...
I found this link for R&R kits, I once owned a 60 Cadillac flat top and wanted to replicate my car. They list a 1960 Chevrolet flat top and a 60 cadillac 2 door so I was hoping to cut the whole centre section complete with doors to save time fabricating and scribing in the door shuts as I am not good at this either.

I do not know the quality or accuracy of these kits but the real car used the same front and rear glass and roof I believe, Then just scraping the trim down and adding the single spear as on the Cadillac series 62 cars. But looking at the body the sides are a different profile to the Cadillac .Here is a pic of an early effort built from a Gunze 1/32 kit.(just in case you missed it in the general thread) http://resinrealm.net/GALLERIES/RRGallery/index.html

I had also planned another version using an AMT 59 El Camino roof/rear glass and the RM 59 Cadillac. Might work with the 59 Chev but I have not measured this up yet

DSCF0120.jpg

:):P If accuracy is important, then the El Camino will not work unless you use the windshield pillars from a hardtop or convertible. In '59/60. the sedans, wagons, sedan deliverys used a different windhsield than the hardtops and convertibles. The hardtop/convertible windshields are lower in profile than the sedan/wagon/etc. windshields and the El Camino rear glass is different than the El Camino. I seem to recall also that the rear glass on the four door hardtop curled around the sides more than the El Camino glass did. Hope this helps. Gary :D

:o:blink: If accuracy is important, then the El Camino will not work unless you use the windshield pillars from a hardtop or convertible. In '59/60. the sedans, wagons, sedan deliverys used a different windhsield than the hardtops and convertibles. The hardtop/convertible windshields are lower in profile than the sedan/wagon/etc. windshields and the El Camino rear glass is different than the El Camino. I seem to recall also that the rear glass on the four door hardtop curled around the sides more than the El Camino glass did. Hope this helps. Gary :blink:

The rear wraparound is a bit larger than the Camino, I was just using it as an idea but thanks for reminder about the higher profile windshield.

The flat top roof overhangs about 3inches also, maybe I can use the rear part of the Camino roof and some clear film for the rear screen.

Cheers, John