Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Tim, WOW, what else can you say ?????? Its incredible you can work in this scale and achieve this much detail... Must be the most accurately detailed model ive ever seen, it takes time yes but worth every second ! There are some incredible builds on this site, and personally I think this sits at the very top...... B) ....... Keep it up, looking forward to more...... Lowlife ! !

WHOA...thanks Gentlemen! Ray, no mill on the brakes. All done scratch by hand. Titanium. :) I just had to share this pic so I could see what I've spent months on...I just didn't want to take the time to put all the bits and pieces that I made for the interior in....(fire bottles, inters etc.) but I think you'll appreciate it. Now it's back to building....and thanks so much again, it's all the inspiration I need. Cheers!!!

enryJTwinTurboChassisEngine004-vi.jpg

enryJTwinTurboChassisEngine006-vi.jpg

Tim... what more can i say. I love your mock up shots. It so cool to see our builds like that because it in these moments all of our hard work is paying off. Job well done buddy. your work is top notch and you are one of the Top Dawgs around here in my opinion. I could only imagine what this would be if it was in 1/16th scale. I admire you doing this kind of detail in a smaller scale. You are a talentened man. Keep the updates coming.

Clayton... I have to be honest, I don't think my work can even compare to what Tim and Randy are doing they are setting the bar for sure. Love their work among man other talented builders here.

Hi Tim, Excellent! These updates are really fun to view. What I like too is the fact that that these excellent sub-assemblies are so well photographed.

Recently I did another search for clear pics of 4 link setups and I found some explicit drawings. Better though, is viewing your pics. Your detailing shows all anyone needs to see, it's all there. In 1:25.

Question: Will you build the body so it can be tilted for displaying, maybe just the front end?

Also, when the time comes for the final assembly, do you treat the threads and bolts with anything to help tighten them, or to keep them tight? I've had issues through manipulation of some nuts loosening up while building in other areas.

Michael

Hi Fellas, Just want to thank each of you for your comments and interest. I'm headed back to the bench this morning for a little more fabbing and then it's time to play with the kids. ( Springbreak :) )

Michael - I think I'm going to make it so that the body will easily lift off for matters of disply & judging at shows. The front clip, trunk and doors I had already planned to remove. Otherwise, the body will be on. I just have to consider the rear wing and chutes and how they attach to the chassis so that it remains simple to remove.

On the nuts, that can be an issue. Depending on which ones, I might use a tiny drop of Future on the end of them OR on those like the 4 link bars, I'll put the tiniest dop of super glue (go for the ones that dry clear) and you'll be good to go. Surprisingly, if you need to remove them in the future it doesn't take that much effort to take it off because I use such a small amount. But it does keep them on otherwise.

I do have some drawings (from my friend Dave) of the wingstruts on the way to me. (told ya' I"m not the best at that just yet). He took the original piece, improved certain aspects and showed me how to mill it in a particular fashion. Couple weeks from now I hope to get it done. If you visit the forum and read this Dave.....THANKS AGAIN! I'll post pics of the setup and machining with an explaination as I fab the brackets. (Ray :)) Cheers!

p..s - For those that are not members of the forum, I've seen the request for additional photos, my signature on my posts lists my FOTKI link. If you can't "see" the link, then just visit FOTKI and type in Steppenwolf56 (my account name) and you'll be able to find my pics. Hope this helps.

Edited by Codi

Tim: I was about to ask a simple question until I followed the pics and saw the engine. The P/E Chrysler crank trigger set, DZUS fasteners and sportsman motorplate I just received from Scott Popham for "Cristine" seem almost insignificant.

On top of the rear shocks, are those dimples designed for use with a spanner to change spring compression and how did you manage that beautiful work? And pardon me if I missed this in prior updates but about the engine: cubes, twin turbos or single or where can I found out about it.

Your work, along with Chris and several others all deserve pages of build pics upon completion in MCM or Scale Auto. Heck, dedicate an entire issue to your drag builds!

hi mitch - the penske shock in my pic is adjustable at the collar at the bottom of the shock. The dimples you see on the round collar are my attempt to replicate their design. I used round brass rod, chucked into a rotary table on a tilting table. useed a ball end mill to put the concentric dimples in it then used a different ball mill to remove the "edge" from the entire circumference. Unfortunately, I did not take pics during this operation.

The engine info is noted on the 1st page of the thread I believe....but in summary...427 c.i. small block ford based on an aftermarket 351W shelby block. twin turbo.

Thanks for the compliment too! Cheers

No worries Pim. I actually did the same. :) Certainly I take that as a compliment.

Yesterday was a long day of fighting with "Henry" to get the top rails going. If I had one thing to do over, it would be to use brass rod throughout. The reason being that the tubing wall (in 1/16") is thin and you have be very aware of how much heat you're applying. I was fortunate to not have any issues but I can see that it COULD be an issue if ones not careful.

Pics in a few days. Cheers, Tim