Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Ray, I know I promised some milling shots & setup procedures....but to be honest I keep forgetting to do it as I'm milling. I get so caught up in what I'm doing so I don't make a mistake that I just completely forget to do so. I'm going to do some machining today or tomorrow and I PROMISE to take some pics....a pretty basic piece.

Dave - I DO wear a jewellers loop....I can't see it either. :D

Joe - as always I got a very hearty chuckle. You're a very funny guy. And thank you all for your well wishes on my upcoming minor surgery and to Clayton as well!

These pics are just of the pinion yoke u-joint "straps" as I call them. These things were SUCH a PAIN to do.....no way to machine them as they were too small and had to do them by hand. Much trial and effort but I got em' on. Had to free hand chamfer the back sides where the bolts feed through to get the bolt heads to fit. I didn't allow enough tolerance (a few thousandth was all I needed) when I machined the yoke. Turned out well but it sure tested my abilities to not mess it up. Feel kinda silly posting them but they DO complete the pinion yoke. I'm convinced that Randy D. completed his entire front brakes and discs on his GT-40 in the time it took me to figure out how to make and fab these buggars. Cheers, Tim

winTurboCompletedPinionYoke002-vi.jpg

winTurboCompletedPinionYoke024-vi.jpg

winTurboCompletedPinionYoke011-vi.jpg

Clayton, I thought it was obvious to everyone, but since you might not have any in your town, I got them at the Giant Pencil & Penny Store...... :D

I know I just posted some pics earlier today but I wanted to share with Ray how I did a simple gas cap for the fuel tank. I just didn't like the other one and this piece, once I dychem it red will look much better. I promised some pics while I was machining some parts and this one was simple so I'll share the few steps I took to fab it.

This was the final result:

HenryJTwinTurboGasTankCap015-vi.jpg

Here I took alum. rod and thinned the base down to 3mm. The top portion I eventually narrowed it down to a width of 3.8mm and a depth of .75mm

HenryJTwinTurboGasTankCap001-vi.jpg

Here I used a round dremel ball type mill and put the indent in the middle.

HenryJTwinTurboGasTankCap005-vi.jpg

You'll note I started wtih 2 pieces. Sure enough, I had the wrong angle on the tilting table...even though I've made similar things before like this...can you say "dummy"....sure you can. And that's why I made two. The rotary table with chuck spins the piece 360 degrees and I eventually settled upon a correct 35 degree angle to cut the 6 seperate notches on the edge of the cap. All of this was about 90 minutes. Comp1839 could have made this in 30 minutes I'm sure. Hope this helps Ray and I'll make an honest effort to share more in the future. If this is kind of what you were looking for. Comments always welcome.

HenryJTwinTurboGasTankCap008-vi.jpg

Tim... Beautiful work on the yoke straps. Your work is flawless and I am just in awe of it. I love you showing how you set up the gas cap and machine it. I see you like you use metric instead of standard units. hope you don't Mind me asking. I know I use both for work but I know I can relate to inches versus mm's much easier.

Thanks for the pics.

I've been reading in Joe Martin's "tabletop machining" for a couple of years in anticipation of adding a mill to my shop.

It's informative to see how different pieces are set up in order to achieve the desired end result.

All I can say is WOW . Tim your machining skills and attention to detail are at the top of pyramid for sure .

I really like the size of your rotary table , mine must be three times that size . Tim did you post a how to on pics from a phone

so everyone could see them ? Would like to change how I post .

Awesome work , keep it fun Jeff

Thanks to all.

Chris, I chose to setup the mill and work in metric as the scale I'm working in primarily (so far) is 1/25th as you know. It most closely replicates 1 scale inch quickly and reasonably accurately. Takes me a little bit of extra time to do my drawings but it's working well for me.

Jeff, I post my pics on Fotki and post them on the forum by transferring them from my account. The pics were taken with the same camera I use for all my pics but the lighting at my milling table is not conducive for truly sharp pictures unfortunately.

I finished the last yoke (tranny) and heres a pic of the 4 different yokes together. Cheers

nryJTwinTurboCompletedYokes048-vi.jpg

nryJTwinTurboCompletedYokes013-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Well this is it till I get over my minor hand surgery. This is the 4 link axle brace that was machined from aluminum. . I tried something different by anodizing the insides of the cut-outs and the outer edges. The bolt hole secures to the axle housing itself. I receessed it a little so it had a "cleaner" look to it. Overall dimensions are 16.5mm x 8mm. The making of this was time comsuming but i gathered alot of experience while working on it. I'm hopeful it will help when I tackle the wing struts when I get back to the bench. They're quite a bit more comlicated than this piece was. I'll be sure to visit the forum often and to check on everyones progress iwth YOUR builds! Cheers fellas.

nryJTwinTurbo4LinkAxleBrace023-vi.jpg

nryJTwinTurbo4LinkAxleBrace007-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Thanks Joe & Michael. Woke up today and just not all that thrilled with it. Ever do that? Sure you have. So, when I get back to the bench after my surgery, I'm going to re-do it with some important but subtle changes. I know I can do better and this gives me the chance to apply the lessons I learned when making this one. oh well.

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear about your finger issues my friend, hope you are back on the bench soon :)

Have been looking at your drive line parts for the last couple of days. They are so precise and exact as to boggle the mind.

Keep it up!!!!!

Randy

Hi Tim. I am in total awe of this build, this is top notch stuff, and given me lots of ideas of machining parts.

Good luck with your hand surgery, I know how that feels, had surgery twice on my right hand/wrist, and still not right.

Look forward to the next instalment of this superb build, after your have recovered of course. :D

Steve