Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Tim... I admire your dedication and attention to the detail of little things like this. adding those bolts to the bead-lock just sets it off. This build continues to get better and better with each update. I can't wait to see this as a rolling chassis...lol :D

A sincere "thank you" to those following along and your favorable comments.  I do have a few specific responses to some questions you've posted:

Brad - not a dremel, could never do this operation with their products. i have a pretty slick jewelers drill press that offers a true "feel" that no other machine I currently own possesses.  It's my "go-to" machine for such operations. 

Scott - the bead lock bolts are T2M.  You can source them from hiroboy or a company that I truly respect, BNA of Australia.  It's along way to order / receive product but their selection / service and most importantly, availability is some of the best I've come across.  Yes, I'm plugging them, they truly deserve it. 

Chris, I'll send pics of the lathe setup but more importantly, my first true and crude attempts at using it and my impressions.  I'm sure they'll be positive if my Sherline mill is anything to go by.  

Cheers to each of you,  Tim

Started the pedal assembly.  I'm attempting to replicate a very trick Tim McAmis Racing adjustable pedal assembly. I have the base plate done, the pedals will be on a functioning adjustable rack and brackets. Today I got one of the more difficult pieces done, the gas pedal. It required 6 different pieces and the soldering was not the easiest due to the overall size and proximity to one another.   AND after posting the pic I realized i have to add a small 7th piece to the pedal, that being the small rectangular plate that is between the bars in the upper half of the pedal......duh!  Cheers, Tim

Pic of what I'm going for -

Tim McAmis Pedal Assembly

Pic of the base plate & pedal.  The pedals will be have the adjustable rack with the drilled rails.

Henry J Twin Turbo Start of Pedal Assembly 009

Scale / size of the gas pedal with the penny.  I have yet to clean it up some of the joints so be kind.

Henry J Twin Turbo Start of Pedal Assembly 018

Here you can see from the back side the holes for the adjustable cable.

Henry J Twin Turbo Start of Pedal Assembly 043

Edited by Codi

Thanks Clayton, Scott AND John......added the little plate to the pedal that I had missed and took some time to begin general chassis "clean-up".  The majority of the joints have been addressed for now and I'm going back to the pedal fabrication.   I am posting a couple pics of the chassis as it helps me when planning "next steps" for the car. Helps me to visualize and confirm what I've planned. I did add the seat-belt brackets on the frame, headrests (sorry, no pics yet) and the rearward puke tank chassis rail tubes among some other "small" details.  I was able to get some decent pics in natural light finally.   Enjoy your weekend,  Tim

Heel plate joint has to be cleaned up yet, otherwise, it's done.

Henry J Twin Turbo Gas pedal pics 2 004

Henry J Twin Turbo Gas pedal pics 2 025

Henry J Twin Turbo Gas pedal pics 2 039

Henry J Twin Turbo Gas pedal pics 2 020

Tim... I am in Awe right now looking at that Amazing Gas Pedal. You nailed it and then to see the chassis. First thing that came to my mind was that the chassis is and Amazing work of Art.... That thing is perfect. every time I see it it blows my mind and I have to continue to tell myself that this thing is way smaller than what I work on....lol I do have to ask you if you have been keeping track of your time you have into this Because I know you have to have an insane amount of hours in it just like I have on the Funny Car. I think I am in the 1400 to 1500 hour range on mine and I would have to think that you have more than that in yours. Job well done so far. I am looking forward to more.

Chris, I know it has to be something over 1500 including the engine but I've spent hours learning many new things on this build (machining for one) and the curve has been steep at times.  That has certainly required more time than if I had made it all by hand, but I wouldn't trade the lessons and experience garnered so far on this car.  I'm confident those skills will get better and the next build after the Henry will be an improvement.  I'm actually getting an education and just happen to be building a model car along the way.  ;)

Ray, thanks buddy, speaking of scratch-building by hand, guys, go check out Ray's deuce in the BigBoyz thread, he's doing it completely by hand with no mill or lathe......wow. 

Dave, appreciate it.  That bugger is 13mm in total length and at it's widest, just a hair over 4mm.  I seriously thought about coming up with my own design & machining one instead as I figured it had to be easier at one point.  I threw a couple out before getting one I actually considered of decent quality.  Thanks for checking it out, I'm working on drawings next to do the brackets that support everything on the rails. hmmmmm   

Cheers, Tim