Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Thank you for the comments guys.

As an fyi, I chose to make the trunk lid out of brass as the piece I cut out had some very subtle compound curves in it. I thought it would be impossible to keep a reasonable gap on the lid when removing it. I try for tight tolerances on door / trunk openings and it's easier to fab out of brass when necessary to meet that goal. Still took me 3+ hours to do that seemingly simple task. I have a new found appreciation for the beautiful brass tubs (and other brass work) on Clay's mustang.

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks Clay, as you well know, I could never replicate the lid in plastic...I keep staring at your tubs and just smile at the effort you must have put into them. Kind of a quiet week for building on the Henry as I just installed the DRO yesterday on the mill. Took way too long I think to do what seemed a straightforward task. It was me, not Sherline I assure you.

Thankfully, I was fortunate enough to meet someone from this forum that really knows their way around milling and machining and he's offered some one on one time to help me learn my way around. I am very excited about the opportunity to learn from an experienced machinist and all around good person.

Cheers,

Tim

Small update but boy they sure are pretty....got these Saturday from Jim @ MicroNitro. The new Weld Delta 1's and I ordered them with the drilled hubs for display purposes. Great product from a great company. I have threaded rod for the studs that I'll cut to length and flanged threaded nuts to secure em'. Cheers, Tim

urboNewWheelsandDrilledHubs009-vi.jpg

urboNewWheelsandDrilledHubs008-vi.jpg

Thanks Chris, I most certainly agree. J

ames, I'm not sure yet...I'm going to polish the centers possibly and see how they look and then decide...a lot will depend on the final color of the car. If I go with a satin/flat black finish, then the polished wheels will likely look the best.

Cheers,

Tim

Hello everyone, so today I made up a simple chassis jig for the chassis. I combined Clay's technique of magnets over steel sheet (which I've used to solder and it's very effective) AND Comp1839 aka Daves idea of the machinist angle blocks but I substitued thin, bendable aluminum for the "L" brackets in the photos.

The idea is I can lay down paper/blueprints like Clay and glue plastic over top (don't use CA, use plastic weld as the CA will stick to the paper) OR solder up a brass chassis on it.

• The "L" brackets are drilled to secure to the table (20gauge steel) with machine screws (I have magnets making them stand up in the photo)
  • After making sure the table was level I drilled the 4 corners for the feet. The feet are machine screws turned upside down.
  • I can drill and place the "L" brackets whereever needed, drill a hole in the tall upright portion to place the front spindles OR the rear axle through to hold it securely to the jig.
  • The face of the brackets are square and on the front ones I can mark them for the appropriate angle for the proper offset / angle while doing my setup just like Dave does. The brackets are cheap and easy to make and can drilled for any particular bed.

I'll let you know how it works when I put it to use and include some photos too if it does.

ChassisJig001-vi.jpg

ChassisJig002-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, promise this thread isn't dead. Not by a long shot. I've been spending the last week or so fixated on my Frankenstein Mustang ProMod body. I'll post those updates SOON. It's really come along in my estimation. And I've been doing my research on various sub components and how far I want to go to detail / fab them. Cheers to each and everyone of you. Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bob, well....I've been making the brake calipers for the car to work with the Delta 1 wheels. Nothing in my parts bin was to my liking so I decided to make them from scratch...out of titanium no less. I know that real discs brakes aren't made of titanium but the color is just so cool that when you see them, I think you'll agree it was a good decision. Next week I should have some pics to post.

ALSO, I've been trying my hand at milling on my Sherline. It's finally setup AND I've had the great opportunity to work with Dave (comp1839) in learning how to set it up properly and to actually use it finally. The learning curve is steep but with his help I'm making positive headway. For those of you that have never had the pleasure of meeting the man, I'll say up front, he is one cool dude and a great mentor. And his 37' Chevy is simply unbelieveable.

I want to get the entire rear end assembly, brakes, hubs, diff, caliper supports completed before I get onto the actual chassis construction. It might seem backwards, but I have my dimensions tightened down and I want to be sure that the parts fit when all is said and done. I'm following the same process that II did on my 33' Willy's when I fabbed the chassis and suspension and it worked out pretty well.

Cheers,

Tim

Been checking this out for a while....

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in... :D You sir are a true craftsman.. I enjoy and admire your work as much I like looking at John Terisi's and Clay Kemp's builds...!

You guys are in another league than I am... as I stick to using mostly plastic and use some aftermarket parts. But I don't machine my own parts.

Though work like you guys do...does inspire my builds to be in scale and realistic looking.

Really like your work Tim...! and thanks for sharing...!