Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Glenn, Mike and Aaron, appreciate it again guys. Some challenging parts of the chassis coming up that I think you'll enjoy. Spent the day machining the chassis jig "backbone" as I've nicknamed it. Once it's finished I'll post a couple pics and a very brief explanation as to why I made it this way.

Gene, you have no idea how much your comment about its stance & "personality" looking "purposeful" means to me. I couldn't figure out how to describe the look I wanted, but you nailed it. :)

Aaahhh, Randy. I'm getting closer. At the moment I've spent a ridiculous amount of time honing my beginners machinist skills. I'm making drawings (takes me 2 hours what comp1839 does in 30 minutes) and rudimentary tooling to make a machined aluminum mid-plate right now. The machining is under way and hopefully if I don't do something stupid, it should be done tomorrow and look pretty good. Then some fairly quick trans tunnel fabbing to tie this together and I'll post.

I did complete the chassis jig "backbone" which is very handy for setup purposes and soldered the chassis side rails onto the outer chassis tube rails so I can eventually affix the body permanently to the chassis. I'll share those pics as well at my next posting.

Cheers and thanks for thinking about "Henry". (you'll note how personal the build has become as its no longer "the Henry J".......just Henry. Speaking of which, where's YOUR updates post? :)

Tim

Tim, been looking through all your builds lately, love the willys and mustang (any more LSR progress? ) but now this? I`m sure you've heard every compliment going regarding this build, but personally I think your the most talented builder Ive ever seen. Thanks for showing such a detailed build process too, to us less talented modellers, its an amazing inspiration to strive to become better at our hobby...... You sound a real nice guy too, I would be soooo big headed if I built this..... :D...... Thanks.... Lowlife ! !

Hi Guys, A couple quick pics of what I've been spending my time on. I could have free handed the mid-plate and had it done in 2 hours. BUT, I wouldn't have learned anything new AND it wouldn't have been quite as nice as what I'm trying to do instead. I'm milling the mid-plate of alum. and messing around with different mill ends to get a finish that I think is kinda cool. I saw this piece as an opportunity to experiment and learn how I might eventually make my rear wing struts for Henry out of aluminum. This "exercise" will provide valuable experience for when I attempt that.

The 1st pic is the rendering showing the design and where to drill the holes etc. It took me TWO hours to do the drawing. Dave (comp1839) would have had it done in less than 30 minutes. BUT, it's so cool to draw something then trust the machine and your read-outs to plot everything else. And trust what you draw. I hope this works is all I can say. The drawing is over a foot tall btw.

inTurboMachinedAlumMidPlate004-vi.jpg(

The next 2 pics show the mid-plate on the tool I made to hold the aluminum. In these pics I've center drilled (size Triple Zero) the necessary holes that I plotted out. Next is to drill them out with # 71 and #74 bits depending on the hole and the larger ones will get drilled at the very end. The blue marker on the alum. just helps me see what I'm doing. Unfortunately it's hiding the milled surface that I got so far, which I think looks VERY cool. I'll drill out the ends of 1/16" brass rod and tap and thread them so I can secure the plate with 1.0mm threaded bolts. I'll solder the other joints and tubes that connect elsewhere on the trans tunnel.

inTurboMachinedAlumMidPlate001-vi.jpg

inTurboMachinedAlumMidPlate006-vi.jpg

Lastly, I thank each of you that have been following along and are enjoying the build. I assure you however, not as much as I am.

Martin (Lowlife) thank you for the compliment. (the one where you stated I sound like a nice guy) so far as my building skills, I assure you there are many other builders on this forum that blow my work away. I won't go into naming names as I'm sure I'd omit someone and therefore might offend. We each have our own skills and building style. I'm glad you appreciate mine. But again, thank you.

Cheers to all. Tim

Tim...l have to say that your updates always blow me away. I really enjoy watching your work come together. Every time I see you machining something makes me want to be able to go buy the Sherline lathe and mill I want badly....lol one of these days I hope to get one. I can not wait to see your mid-plate done. Keep up the great work.

Chris, Joe and Scott, thanks guys. I couldn't help myself, I got the plate done but I need to shorten it by 1.5mm at the bottom. No biggie but somehow / somewhere I made a mistake when I did my plan. I followed it but it was just wrong by thattttt much. I wanted to try to get a billet look for the finish instead of a smooth as glass appearance. The plate IS smooth as glass of course. Next post should be 4 or 5 days with it attached to the chassis as part of the trans tunnel. Cheers

HenryJTwinTurboMidPlate011-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboMidPlate009-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Chris, you'll have to get your mill 1st and then your lathe. Once you get started with, you'll be "hooked". I'm slow now as my learning curve is steep. I spend 80% of my time planninng and prepping to make a part. 20% actual machining. I want to get to where it's the other way around. And thank you too for your note.

Emerson, the tools are great but it's best if you have a mentor as you begin too. There are so many things that an experienced machinist knows and can share that will shorten the curve a bit. It's more the knowledge as much as it is the proper equipment I believe. You buy tools, but the knowledge.......hmmmm.

Art & John & Jiim, coming from such capable people in your own right, your comments put a big ol' smile on my face. I think you'll like what it looks like when I get the plate tied into the chassis next. I'll post sometime early next week I believe with the results. Then the funny cage is up next followed by the rear suspension!! That'll be a fun one.

Cheers everyone!