Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Hey Tim, I'm back from GSL and the FIRST thing I thought of was to check to see how your surgery went. Right after I posted in my own GSL thread. And checked my pm's. And responded to them. Then I got a Pepsi. Oh, and I had to scratch myself. But I digest.

I sincerely hope that all is well and you get back in the groove soon.

Best Wishes, Zilla

Thanks Joe. Went well and I'm going to try to get back to the bench on Friday. Day by day. I'm sure you had an awesome time at the GSL and I'll be sure to check out your pics. Cheers

Trying to ease back into it and got the driveshaft done with the CF decals and the nickel plating I wanted to put on the yokes. I tried some different techniques on the nickel and I think it came out better than my first pass at this. Cheers

urboFinishedDriveshaftYokes034-vi.jpg

urboFinishedDriveshaftYokes014-vi.jpg

Tim.... That Drive line is insane and looks great. That is one impressive piece of work and you killed it!! By the way I wanted to ask you what are you using for the nickel plating is a at home do it yourself that you heat the material to a certain temp or are you having to use Anodes. Reason I ask is that Greg Nichols who won best of show at the GSL in 2013, he did a seminiar on how he build that car and he explained the nickle plating that he did on the parts he made. They looked goreous

I'm old school so when my niece asked what I thought of tattoos, I said I couldn't think of ANY image I'd want to look at everyday of my life and not get tired of it.

But this morning I called her up and told her I'm thinking of getting a tattoo of another guy's rear end. After a minute she said that's cool and there's nothing really wrong with that ...

Appreciate the comments fellas. I want to answer the questions that Chris asked and share pics of the new 4 link axle bracket I made today.

Chris, Caswell has sooo many options it's a bit confusing. I emailed them and they suggested a simple $49. kit that uses a low voltage power supply and anodes. What I learned on this session was "less is more". Don't put the parts too close to the anodes, don't use too much of the nickel solution, move the parts around in the solution while they're in process AND the biggest difference was heating the solution for 20 seconds in the microwave before plating each part. The pinion yoke was immersed for only 30 seconds and it came out as you see it. No polishing or anything other than a dip in soapy water and a rinse afterwards. It's definitely something that you have to experiment with and I'm sure that anyone that tries it will get better with each attempt.

The new bracket was one that I saw on a real 1:1 10.5 outlaw car. Always liked it so I thought I'd try to replicate it. It's VERY close and I can't deny that it looks much better than my earlier attempt. Comments welcome and thanks for checking it out.

enryJTwinTurboNew4linkBrace005-vi.jpg

Ignore the glove in the pic please...it's to keep goop out of the stitches. :)

enryJTwinTurboNew4linkBrace028-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Very nice, Tim. I'd have to agree that your second attempt at the brace came out much more refined appearing than the first - though I'd be happy to call the first one mine! I especially like the recessed milling that you did. It gives it a totally finished, professional appearance (which is consistent with everything else you've done on this build... How's the hand doing? It looks all.....blue. LOL

Um, Scott, thanks for taking my joke. Now I gotta come up with something else. Good one.

So, Tim, how's the han.............oh, wait. darn. What a great looking piece and assembly.

Personally, I wouldn't stress over infection or gangrene. I say lose the glove, get some goop in there so you can build up antibodies and enzymes and goop killing amoeba's and stuff. Man up. Jeezaloo.

Tim... first off iam glad to hear your surgery went well and I hope the recovery period is a speedy one. By the looks of the new bracket you made I dont think the surgery has held you back. I am so impressed with the new machined bracket. It is very impressive and i am at a loss of words to say. You are one talented man for sure. Looking forward to the next update. Thank you for also sharing your plating process with us

Edited by Mooneyzs

I want to acknowledge the comments posted in reply to my recent pics.

Scott- I took the ice off and the "blue" finally left my hand. :D

Joe - "man up"........man you are TOUGH. Can't wait to meet you someday, I'm sure I'll be laughing for a week.

Jason- No minions or lilliputians here. If you took a peek at my first pass of the bracket, you'll see I can make some pretty bad stuff too.

Dave (GoatGuy) - Thank you very much for your continued interest and positive comments. I DO appreciate them.

Mike (Foxer) - I think Joe is going to have some competition at the "Laugh Factory", that was funny.

ClayK - Thank you Clay. I recently visited your site again and took a moment to look at your Jeff Gordon "superdetailed" nascar build. Guys, if you've not looked in on it, you should, it's just so impressive. I must have spent 25 / 30 minutes going over and over the pics and the detail you put into it. Can't wait to see what you decide to tackle next.

John (Mr. Teresi) - At the rate I'm going it will take me a century to complete it. And thanks too for your continued support and interest. I took a look at the GSL and the cars you've been showing....unbelievable how fast and creative you are at the same time.

Darren, thanks for peeking at the build and your comment.

Chris (mooneyz) Appreciate the comment on the bracket. The walls at the top of the machined recess are only .5mm (half of a millimeter) wide. I drew them up that way and I made sure the mill was dialed in as best as I could. There is nothing more satisfying than making that cut and seeing it come out the way you hoped & planned for. I can't wait to see your next Vega Funny updates. I'll check out your GSL dragster later today. I'm sure its quite impressive.

Cheers to all, Tim