Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

I'm going to try to use more than four words this time.

Tim, do you use a normal microscope like the one in my first picture, or do you rent time on the one in the second picture?

Nikon-super-resolution-microscope-system20110822cms.thumb.jpg.e1a0e97b901afca11a

Good one Joe, but I think I've finally figured out how Tim, Dave and Chris have got all of us fooled. These guys have totally mastered the art of photoshop. They are taking full size items and photoshopping them with other images to create the perfect illusion of miniscule scale engineering.

On a more serious note, this is other level engineering. I showed this to a toolmaker friend of mine and he was gobsmacked. Claimed that in his 30 + years in the trade, he has never seen micro machining as good as this. Amazing work as always Tim, truly inspiring. 

Thanks fellas for the interest and posts.

Joe, I'd "settle" for the little one you showed if I could.   Too funny, where do you get your pics?

Tony, thank you sir but I've seen amazing machining..........Dave's dragster for instance, and mine is just tiny/tedious and if I may, sophomoric by comparison.  I saw the drawings that Dave rendered to make his dragster brake calipers for his dragster and be sure to check out his carbs he machined.....WHOA is all I can say.  Stare at the pieces and try to imagine machining them from a chunk of metal. A lot of steps and considerations.  That I find humbling.  Many thanks for continuing to follow along! 

To quote Tony (GT Junior), it is other level engineering. I had the awesome opportunity to see it again in person Tuesday night. WOW. Everything looks bigger online. Hearing Tim explain how he measures and plans each part to replicate the 1:1 part is inspiring. He is dedicated to make each section and part as close to the real part and as close to NHRA specs as he can. And his generosity with time, patience, and knowledge is awesome and appreciated because he spent about 3 hours answering my questions, putting aside his own work to help me. He showed me how to measure and set up a 4 link rear for an upcoming build, he offered to redo my puke tank for a current build, and gave me much advice. Thanks again Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I could be of some help Dave. 

Been working my way towards the interior of the car now.  Spending time making & selecting various support brackets for soldering to the chassis. I want to give credit to Dirt Modeler for the variety and quality of his brass tabs too. I'll be using assorted nickel photo-etch pieces at the very end as well. Couple pics of the start of the dash (brass bracket made) and the shift lite.  I saw another builder did something similar on the shift lite so I gave it a try & liked the result., I've yet to paint it black and make the support bracket though. Once I get the majority of the tabs and brackets on that I want soldered v. glued,  I'll fab the remaining rails and wrap up the chassis.  cheers

sorry for the quality of the pics btw.........this is the back plate I made to support the RacePak dash I'll be making.

Henry J Twin Turbo Start of Dash & Shift Lite 011

Henry J Twin Turbo Start of Dash & Shift Lite 021

First things first. Have you ever noticed how you use the word "make" more often than you use the word "use"?

Example: "I'm going to use the dash from.........". As opposed to "..... to support the RacePak dash I'll be making".

Now, onto a question you asked about where I get my pictures. It's a simple process really. I find an off-the-hook project, let's say yours for instance. Then I decide to comment. Since I have to use my brain during this procedure, you can see where things might go awry. In the most recent pics, I thought to myself, "Self, where can I find a really cool picture of a microscope? I know!!!!!! GOOOOOOOGLE IT!!!!!" In other words, it's Google's fault, not mine.

So, in conclusion, When I saw the object in the tweezers, the first thing that came to mind was.........

war_of_the_worlds_1953_by_4gottenlore-d3

Martian2.thumb.jpg.f95de3e6635150642ef5e

Tim... Holy Smokes... What a killer update... I am totally digging that shift light. I gotta ask what did you do to resemble the individual LED's in the shift light. It looks great. As well as the bracket for the RacePak dash. Your work is simply precise and clean. Nice work my friend. I look forward to your next update.

Thanks Clayton...only ever made one semi truck when I was a kid.  That's another story but it was cool to do. 

Joe, scratch-building is more fun right?  Like the "war of the worlds" pics too.  What must go on in that mind of yours.  :)

Chris, I took stainless steel tube to make the body and used fluorescent yellow fishing line. Cut 8 strands and put them in the tube, glued them in place and cut off the ends of the strands. Light passes through it very easily to give the effect.  cheers, tim

Well now, so I made a lot of headway on the brackets etc.  Got ready to solder on a fabricated bracket for the chute handle. Moving from one work area to another I carried the chassis in its jig and felt something on my arm as I was sitting down.  There was a big ol' hornet on my forearm and the moment I went to shake it off in panic, the chassis and its jig (which were secured in the milling vise) went to the ground.  Naturally, it landed upside down and is for all intents and purposes, destroyed.  So, this thread has come to an ignominious ending.   In summation, 20 months of building it, many custom parts that have no home for the time being and easily more than a 1000 hours in the chassis and it's components.  I did get a bunch of experience and knowledge from this one which will serve me well going forward.  But the disappointment in not seeing this finished as intended just sucks.  Cheers? 

Oh man that is a real bummer.   So sad to hear about your loss.....But like with the passing of Prince....a very talented build that passed before its time.   

Looking forward to the next build to follow along with.   Please continue after all I am assuming the motor still is in its cradle on the bench and will still need something to be inserted into.

This is the build where I got to know you my friend. It will always have a warm and special place in my brain pan.

If your next build is a 1/43 Army truck, I'll still follow it. I just won't tell my friends..........

As David Gilmour says, "Take a breath; Take a deep breath......" Get your head back in the right place and Karma will tell you what to do next and when to do it.

Well, I guess It wouldn't be right to end this without a silly picture:

4266317.thumb.jpg.f0fdd98844dc8e0e6ac01e201602_1248_fbdha_sm.thumb.jpg.2a6fd74835364f240ee0b2b0d6c14e4713c8375a3.thumb.j

Tim......I`m so lost for words.......you must be sick to your stomach ......I feel your pain......that has happened to me too.......but,this model of yours is in my eyes the best DANG model I have ever seen.......I know you have another you are working on......but,I`m sure after the pain is gone you can slowly heal by putting her back together........from now on everytime I see a hornet it will get squashed:angry:

Edited by John Teresi

I don't even know what to say, my friend.  I have, for months, looked forward to seeing your updates on this project and have marveled (as you know) at the work you've done and the skills you have demonstrated.  To say that I'm disappointed and saddened that it has come to this end is a tremendous understatement.  And I can't begin to imagine how you feel.  I know, with time, things will look cheerier than they do today.  It is, as you said, very true that the experience you've gained will serve you well going forward, and at least you'll be able to utilize (hopefully) many of the components you've created in another build, not altogether unlike organ donors helping others to live and have a prosperous life...