Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Good morning fellas,  I just want to say thank you for all the sentiments you've shared.  Many of you have expressed all too accurately how i feel about it right now.  You're a good bunch of guys!   Not to be melodramatic about it, but it's like I lost a pet or something.  It was THIS close to being finished.  On the brighter side, it wasn't in a state where any of the pieces I've made were on it or destroyed.  I REALLY want to use the many parts I've fabricated but I'm not mentally ready to go after a chassis like that one just yet.  Might use them over several, different types of builds. Electrician is coming over today to add some over head lights as I've re-vamped my work area.  The Mustang funny will most certainly be one of the things I move on with.  I'd like to also start a "simple" build to do alongside of it as I want to take part of the Summer to work on my painting skills.   Here's a pic of a Falcon I worked on that would be a good candidate I think for using many of the Henry bits and pieces (no pun intended Joe, I assure you)  I'd open the doors and trunk and was thinking I should re-chop the front of the roof as I think it's too low.  Any thoughts guys?   Comments welcome.

FALCON PROSTREET PRIMER 006

FALCON PROSTREET PRIMER 008

No…say it isn't so. I have been following your Henry J thread almost from the beginning and am in disbelief. I hope that wasp paid the ultimate price. I'm already following the Mustang, which is really coming together bTW, as for the Falcon, I too think the roof is too low in the front. That's the first thing I thought when I saw the photo.

Tim, I agree - the forward roof line is too severe for my taste.  It looks like an excellent candidate otherwise.  Not having seen any pictures of your Henry chassis, is there any possibility of it being resurrected at some point?  Just wondering...

Edited by futurattraction

Tim.... I am speechess and no idea what to say other than I am So Sorry about what happened. I am still in disbelief about it. This Henry J had to be one of the best builds of all times. The level of detail that you have achieved and gone to has been amazing. In my opinion you are one of the best builders out there.  I know it had to be heart breaking when this happened. I can totally relate to the long hours that have been put into this build and it seems that even though thru the trouble you encountered that you still have a positive attitude thru this.

I do like the idea of you using many of the other components on your other builds and I have no idea how bad of a hit the chassis took but is there anyway to salvage any of it by chance? I know when I took a few steps back with my funny car chassis a while back when I realized things were wrong and I had to fix it at least 2 if not 3 times that I wish I would of just scratch built the whole thing now. I am sure I could build a better chassis for it now after going thru all I did and learning from it. I am sure this is true for you that you learned so much goin thru this build.. I know things are too fresh for you to think about this at the momemt but I would suggest taking some time on some other builds and then when the time is right consider possibly doing another frame for this build. You are one heck of a builder who's work I look up to sND admire....keep your chin up and we are here for you when you are ready to get back to the bench. Again I am truly sorry you are having to go thru this.

This is gonna' take me a while Bro, as I have much to input on this choice.

My first car was a 59 Dodge Coronet. My second car was a 62/63 Ford Fairlane 500. She was Deep Space Black, (I just made that up), and a paint shop cut a strip of finned / ribbed aluminum as an inset for the side trim. It was shot with metal flake gold. It looked sweet with the chrome trim.

Now, a question must be asked. Is the front of the roof too low, or is the back too high? Lowering the back may cause roll cage clearance issues.

Nextly, not only am I in love with the teardrop combo scoops, but it's a flip-front too? Good thing I've learned from past experience to have a spare oxygen bottle nearby.

One final thought you may want to consider. The rear wheel wells are already close to being radiused. If you bring the top of the well higher, you might also want to fill in the back of the well where it extends back. Makes it look even more like an AWB or A/FX car.

Condolences and best of luck and skill in whatever you decide to do.

:blink: **COUGH** mustang**COUGH:blink:

hey Tim,

So sorry to read of this disaster my friend.  This build gave me so much inspiration and can't believe the Henry J thread is over.:(

Good luck on the new adventures and will be following whatever you build!

Randy

Terrible news, Tim. I'm sure your next builds will be just as spectacular. Who knows, maybe after the dust settles, you might get motivated to accept a new challenge, that being repairing the chassis. I'm sure you have the skills to do it. Whatever you do, I'll be watching.

-Art

I don't know what to say other than thanks to each of you.  I've "buried" Henry now.  Time to move on right?!!   It was a closed casket, there will be no final pics of the chassis as it's not how I want to remember this build. Today I discovered the 1/16" steel plate that the jig was bolted to was bent as well from the fall.  The main hoop did it's job and protected the driver ( I would like to believe anyhow) but it was bent severely in addition to all the broken joints etc. My point being, there is no chance to salvage it.  For all of you that followed along, the tolerances were SOO tight on it, that a 64" off meant all the world during assembly.  I'm WAY off a 64" now.   I'm keeping the chassis to part off of it when I move on.  No sense remaking custom brackets etc. that took hours for no good reasons right?   For a giggle, the electrician showed up today to add more overhead lights over my revamped work area, sure enough the ballister was bent and he can't finish till Thursday, figures huh.  I'll share shortly what I'm going to do next but the Mustang Funny (heard ya' JOE!!!) is one of the two (3 perhaps?)  that I'm going to get after.  Really want something simple and easy so to speak to add to the project list.  My "Gravity" paints are on the way for sampling and I'll let you know what I think.  They were part of the final prep for Henry.  THANKS & CHEERS EVERYONE! 

hey Tim,

So sorry to read of this disaster my friend.  This build gave me so much inspiration and can't believe the Henry J thread is over.:(

Good luck on the new adventures and will be following whatever you build!

Randy

Tim, I just saw these recent comments from the guys and want to echo their words. I feel very honored to have seen it in person.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im sorry about your horrendous loss, as I know exactly how that feels. I also design and fabricate remote control drag cars and have completely lost a car on its first hard pull. I hope you are able to salvage something from it, but I think I know where your mindset might be about it, as I prefer to bury projects in that type of situation.