Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Kerry, Dave, Mike and Randy....well thanks but I'm going to mill the faces again with a different technique to attempt to get a truer machined pattern. Dave (comp1839) was kind enough to share some insights on how I might improve the finish with some "tweaks' on how I set it up and machine it. So...thanks again but i'll either have something better to share OR, I might just have to make a new one from scratch. That's the learning curve. :) I'm confident that I can pull it off though. I totally agree wtih Dave that this piece is "front and center" on the car and I should do my best to make it the best that I can. Cheers!

The original plate was machined in a horizontal manner....the new one (the old that I re-did) is more like a real car in that the machining was centered off the crank and expands outward towards the plates edges. I like it better and it's time to move on the next part of the build. Cheers.

TwinTurboRemachinedMidPlate010-vi.jpg

TwinTurboRemachinedMidPlate011-vi.jpg

Thanks fellas for you compliments. Well, I wasn't happy with that one either. So, new drawings and I made a new plate that I AM finally satisfied with. I'll have the plate and trans tunnel done by the weekend and will post some updates then.

Randy, the process sounds simple enough but for me it was time consuming as I'm still a rookie when it comes to machining. The steps:

a. Did the rendering at a 10:1 aspect ratio. i.e. for every 1mm I enlarged to drawing to 1cm.

b. Made a simple tool to hold the stock and protect the plate/table beneath it.

c. Used a rotary table and bolted the stock down and plotted all of the marks with a center drill where the holes were to be drilled and then did so.

d. Milled the piece down to a thickness that was very close to the final thickness.

e. Used a 1/16" mill end and started from the center of the crank hole and started removing in a circular motion at a depth of.07mm. Moved the mill end outward by .75mm and did the next circle.....and repeat until done. Flip it over and do the same to the other side.

f. Put the angle cuts and trim the edges and it's done.

Hope that helps. I know you asked how I got the finish on it, but to get to that point, there was a bit more ahead of that step to do it properly. i as I "practiced" making 4 different finishes / methods before taking my original plate and attempted to put it on that piece. After a day of staring at it, I just wasn't thrilled. So that's why I made another one.

Cheers!

The final one.

HenryJTwinTurbo2ndMidplate004-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Thank you Scott. Well, finally made some headway on the tunnel today. Should have it completed in the next day or so. But here's some pics of where it's going. It's finally starting to look like something to me. The plate bolts to the brackets I soldered to the bottom and upper frame rails. Cheers everyone!

yJTwinTurbotranstunnelstart026-vi.jpg

yJTwinTurbotranstunnelstart015-vi.jpg

yJTwinTurbotranstunnelstart016-vi.jpg

Thanks fellas again for your interest and comments. Aaron, I completely agree! I took a couple pics of the tunnel which I only have a couple of support rails and the firebottle support bracket to move on to the funny cage. The tunnel main rails are 1/16th, the vertical support rails are 3/64" and the diagonal bracing is 1/32". The brass driveshaft tunnel is removeable of course and I shaped it out of brass tube. Each end is a different sized oval shape which was kind of fun to make and form out of one piece. I didn't cut or have to solder it. Cheers, Tim

winTurboDrivetunnelprogress002-vi.jpg

winTurboDrivetunnelprogress005-vi.jpg

Thanks Brent...something more to smile about Scott and Mike...a simple thank you! Here's some pics of the completed tunnel, the components that are getting squeezed into the interior and a quick mock-up of them installed. I did discover that my fire bottles are too tight next to the 1 intercooler pipe. I'll adjust that before I move onto the funny cage. As I figured, it is t-i-g-h-t in the interior. But it'll work. Cheers, Tim

nryJTwinTurboInteriorMockUp032-vi.jpg

nryJTwinTurboInteriorMockUp039-vi.jpg

nryJTwinTurboInteriorMockUp065-vi.jpg

Tim... I am in awe of your updates they cant help but make you smile. I could only imagine what you would do with a 1/16th scale build. You would put everyone to shame...I think you already have lol. As Mike mentioned this is a true masterpiece. keep up the top notch work. It looks great.

Tim, I'm with you on how tight those tolerances are and the adjustments needed to fit those components into a symmetrical and properly aligned configuration. However, PLEASE don't forget that you still have to allow for the height, width and depth of the cappuccino maker. For safety's sake, the spigots should face AWAY from the pilot. A hold-down strap may also be wise.

Just sayin'..........

Outrageous update and I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but your photography is tops.