Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Tim, I haven't commented in awhile, because I just can't say anything besides what's already been said. I'm speachless with craftsmanship that you've put into this. It is truly amazing what your doing in 1/25. I can't even begin to imagine if built 16th with the same level of detail. I think it would actually start, sit there and idle. My hat is off to you man, awesome stuff.

Thanks Dave & Chris....I do like the new tanks for this build v. the original.  Regarding the gas cap, I had to make a twin and tweaked my earlier efforts and came up with 2 matching, slightly improved ones.  Have to part them off of course.  Now to get the tanks in the car.   cheers, tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Fuel & Oil Caps 014

Again....Very Nice!  Ya Know  for what you got in this one  you could have built a 1:1!  jk  I love seeing when this thread has an update to it......you never know what your going to be blown away with when you get to the bottom of the page! 

Thank you Roy and Bruce.  This week I got the brackets and mounts done for the tanks. I wanted to be able to pop the tanks in and bolt them in so even though I've got the tank strap to fab yet, I did drill and solder in threaded.5mm brass nuts into the two side rails.  The strap will go over the top and be secured with the .5mm bolts.  I also added a bevel to the gas / oil caps. .The tanks will clear the steering rack and there is less than 1/32" between the tanks and the inside of the front end. Tank strap and then steering rack are next.  Thanks again for following along.  tim

In this pic I'm using an awl to point out the .5mm nuts and a bolt to show where the strap will come down and be secured on each side.

Henry J Twin Turbo Tanks In 013

The solder joints are not completely cleaned up yet and the twin tanks will be polished after the tinal fitment is confirmed and completed

Henry J Twin Turbo Tanks In 024

Henry J Twin Turbo Tanks In 045

Henry J Twin Turbo Tanks In 072

Edited by Codi

How in the heck did you get that tiny brass nut countersunk in the brass tubing soldered all while keeping it straight as an arrow? That is some phenomenal work my friend.

I find myself asking that same question, while I look at these builds,.,.. "How The...."  :huh:

It is great fun watching tho

Cheers Tim, Awesome work

Brad, I can't divulge all my secrets.......it was actually quite straightforward however.   I got the strap done...I've got to shorten the  bolts yet and the A & N fittings are not the final, I just wanted to see what it looks like.  Since I wanted to do something a little different on the strap design, I machined it and then finessed it by hand. The challenging part was getting the bends and the bolt holes in the proper position.  Not sure if I'll dychem anything but I'm thinking I might do the strap itself in a purple and then remove the red and blue from the tank caps and leave em' shiny against the purple.  cheers, tim

this pic shows the strap with the initial shaping on the mill

Henry J Twin Turbo Bolt-On Tank Strap 043

On the car

Henry J Twin Turbo Bolt-On Tank Strap 106

Tim... Holy Smoke that is some impressive work right there. You are like Superman.  That strap turned out great and getting those nuts soldered to the chassis is ever so impressive. This build continues to get better with every post and is an inspiration and motivates me to get more done on the funny car. Thank you for sharing this beautiful build with us.

Every update is mind blowing. Really needs a warning label - viewing these pictures may boggle you brain. Hopefully I will get to view this in person one day.

Surgeon Generals warning " Viewing this thread may blow your mind! Proceed at your own risk!". Seriously though, this is truly inspired work! I check this build on a daily basis to see if you have found a new way to blow my mind. Tim, you are a scratch building god.

HEY!!!! No fair!!! Everybody already said what I wanted to say,

Have I told you you're bringing a cannon to a gunfight? Or that you're making all of the other model builders jealous? 

Let's just leave it at knee bending reverence for now.

Build on my friend, build on.