Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Appreciated EVERYONE!  I do want to nominate Joe's reply as the "Funny of the Year".....I read it twice and couldn't stop laughing.  So if agreed, we'll just send the trophy to him now.  I also want to acknowledge Mr. Teresi and his kind comments.  Our hobby can be mighty humbling (witness all the parts that go to the trash bin) as we move along and I never forget that I do this for fun.  There are many others that are better at this than I'll ever be but to be considered as a decent builder by ones peers is the highest form of compliment. To everyone I've not mentioned by name, I hope I haven't offended by omission but I DO thank you as well.  Cheers to one and all, Tim

Tim, fantastic work as always......;)........ I agree with John Teresi, the fact that you are not showing off about this is remarkable !  If I built this I would be signing autographs at the local model shows for ages....:D

Oh and im running a competition on RnS but will continue to feature your masterpiece again soon !

Thanks mate.......Lowlife ! ! 

Thanks Guys....and Dave, I'll try to make that event, as I mentioned, I grew up 2 miles from his place when he was in his racing prime and didn't even know it although I was a fan.   (still am).   Well, I've got over 20 hours in the engineering & planning of the pedal assembly, master cylinder and handbrake.  After considering and mapping out a lot of ideas (and back and forth with Dave) I've come up with a plan that will work in the tight confines of the interior.  I should have that done by early next week hopefully as I've done a lot of the prep work already.  One of the things I wanted to complete was to correct the fact that the clutch and brake pedals didn't have stops. So, I thought no biggie but I wanted them to be adjustable and move with the assembly as one unit.  Took a bit of thought and effort but I came up with a suitable solution.  The stops are adjustable in and out as well as they are secured on a threaded bolt and nut and the tube is threaded to permit adjustment.  Once the entire brake setup is completed and the necessary brackets are soldered in place, I'll go back and tear it apart and nickel plate some of them and detail em' a bit.  A lot of info and effort for what is /seems a small step perhaps but it all ties into the bigger picture.  (I did a quick mock-up with the seat, steering wheel etc. in place and it looks pretty cool, so I know I'm going down the right path with it)  Cheers, Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Pedal Stops 021

Henry J Twin Turbo Pedal Stops 055

Oh my ! The detail you are adding is just incredible. Color me very impressed. I wish I had just a tiny bit of your talent.

Ray, you've got tons of talent. I've seen it with my own eyes. We all get humbled at what this Madman can knock out.

No funny stuff going on there Tim. The thing about a detail like stops is, if they aren't there, you don't notice their absence.

On the other tentacle, if they are there, not only do they get noticed, it brings your sanity into question one more time. Oh, and they look kewl.

Win Win. :wacko::blink::unsure:

Tim - not only does your accuracy and detail blow me away along with the fact that this is 1/25th scale but what I can't quite get over is everything in this assembly is made with metal. There's no plastic, glue or filler.  Amazed beyond belief.

I'll bet you really like heavy metal.  :D

Getting oh so close to finishing the pedal assembly and linkages. I'm really starting to enjoy the engineering challenges that this build is confronting me with sometimes. (and with space tight, it's getting more challenging to solder each and every important bracket along the way....the joints are NOT cleaned up yet btw)  With such limited space I had to figure out how to get the brake pedal tied into the hand brake and master cylinder.  Just getting the seat in while clearing the handbrake bracket was kinda nerve-wracking. The m.cyl. has to go inside as there is no room in front of the firewall because of the turbos and their location.  My original idea was to center the m.cyl. between the legs of the driver in front of the seat. After a lot of consideration (and timely photos of some real car solutions provided by Dave) I took a different route.  The first pic shows how tight the packaging is and the second pic has a pencil pointing to the new location of the mast.cyl. between the drive shaft "can" and rails tucked down low and close to the rails.   You won't be able to see much of it with the can in place, so for display purposes, I'll probably have the can out of the car.  I have to make the bracket next for the m. cyl. and then I can go back and address the nit-picky stuff to tie it all together.  Taking much longer than anticipated but I like this solution better than my original. Lastly, I take many pics along the way so that when final assembly comes, I can go back and check notes and pics of how I did it......nothing like putting a part in place and then 4 steps later realize it has to come out because it interferes with something else.   Cheers,  Tim  

Henry J Twin Turbo M Cylinder Location 009

Henry J Twin Turbo M Cylinder Location 014

The guys the 1:1 cars like this are even jealous their cars are not this beautiful without any paint on them!

Love watching this thread to see what gets detailed next that I would have never even noticed to try and add.

( and no I dont have a 1:1 any where close to one of these)

Tim... your work is mind blowing. I have said it before but you have to.be one of the best builder out there. It the attention to detail is Incredible. It still blows me away you are doing this all in 1/25th scale. Makes my 1/16th scale stuff a piece of.cake for you... lol Keep up the awesome work and I wonder wjat you will blow us away with next... lol

Chris just used a word to describe your most recent update, and I don't think I've used it up to this point, but I guess I will - to describe your entire Willys project - AWESOME.  So many superlatives have been thrown at you over the last 45 pages of this project, and every single, solitary one of them is deserved to the utmost.  I just, so much, look forward to each and every one of your installments...  Cheers!

Tim my friend i'm lost for words looking at your progress, some of the most amazing work i have seen in this scale, I can not imagine how hard it is to work with stuff that small. 1/16th is the smallest for me, even then it's hard with my shaky hand's. Are you painting the chassis and parts? would be a shame to cover up that beautiful work.

Joe

Greatly appreciated for each and every post.  I did want to answer Joe's question about paint....my plan for now Joe is paint the chassis but not the other pieces I've made.  I've not settled on a color for the frame itself just yet but I have a few ideas.  Thanks for following along too!   I did the final mock-up of the pedal assembly, hand-brake and master cylinder.  The gas pedal and pedal base were nickel plated and the parts in red were done with Dychem.  This was a struggle I'll admit as I painted myself into a corner on the fabbing of the assembly and then once I figured out a great solution, I used CA glue on a key part (only 2 parts have it btw) and the pedal was in the wrong position.  That set me back 4 hours getting it apart and redoing a couple of pieces and having to make a new one (or 2).  I hate it when I have a plan and then fail to execute it. I even knew what the possible issue would be when doing the final assembly, I still managed to add to my work. Anyways, here it is.

Henry J Twin Turbo Pedal Assembly MockUp 023

Henry J Twin Turbo Pedal Assembly MockUp 119

Henry J Twin Turbo Pedal Assembly MockUp 2 055