Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Scott,

I believe you're asking me about the 2 small quick release "push-pins". I took .5mm s/steel tubing and some various MAS PhotoEtch throttle linkage brackets that I modified. Drilled them out wtih a #74 (75?) bit and added a small and large PE washer front and back. The centers were then detailed with a dab of red machinist dye. The hoop itself is 1/16" tube that I had to drill out with a 3/64" bit (VERY thin walls now) I was then able to insert the 3/64" brass rod into the bottom half of the hoop, attached the top half and then drilled each side to accept the pins. The hoop was cut in half first btw.

If I didn't answer your question clearly, let me know and I'll try to assist.

Thanks Dr. Kerry for your comment too.

Cheers

Tim

Well, got the intercooling plumbing almost done. The collector box I machined out of 1/4" rod. Both boxes will be located on the very bottom of the twin tanks. (Thanks again to Comp1839 for his machining tips) I angle cut 3/16" aluminum tube to make it all fit properly now. I have to make a second one and add some weld lines and custom V-band clamps and they'll be good to go.

Happy Holidays, Tim

rcoolingPlumbingCollerctors001-vi.jpg

rcoolingPlumbingCollerctors004-vi.jpg

rcoolingPlumbingCollerctors005-vi.jpg

Gene, David, Mike and Bob.....thanks fellas for the comments. Here are some pics of the inters upside down with the machined collectors on them. The pics are just mock-ups and not assembled yet. The angled pipe will allow the space I need to angle and fit the plumbing now flat on the passenger side floor (side by side) and out of the way of the electrics, fire bottles and other necessary features. I'm hopeful I can bend some rod/tube to make them fit but just in case, i know this will work now.

Next week I'll finish up the necessary v-clamps and other minor details.

Next on the chassis is the funny cage and trans tunnel rails.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone and your families!

Tim

HenryJIntercoolerCollectors004-vi.jpg

HenryJIntercoolerCollectors012-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Hi Randy,

I'll bolt the intercoolers to their mounts on the main hoop. On those pieces that need joining (pipes etc.) I use almost exclusively Devcon 2 part 5 minute epoxy. The part number is S210. One side of the tube is blue and the other clear. I share that as there are a dozen different devcon glues and you want to get the right one. It dries and grips harder than any loctite glue. I do use loctite gel super glues occassionally for smaller parts when strength isn't of primary importance. The bonus with Devcon is the 5 min. time to adjust the pieces before they start to firm up. 6 hours later, won't budge and dries clear too.

Lastly, on the intercoolers, when I put the collectors on the bottom I will drill out and "pin" them with a piece of rod inserted for additional strength and use the devcon.

Hope I was of help.

Tim

Good eye Joe. The engine block for this engine was made from scratch (plastic) and was based on a punched out small block all aluminum Shelby model. The basis for the Shelby 427 block was the original Ford 351W. The Arias hemi heads were designed to fit this block. So, in the spirit of the engine "development" it took on a "Shelby" theme. You'll see a similar logo on the top of the intake plenum too.

Tim

Gene, glad to be of help.

Bill, thanks for checking it out. I know of what you speak when it comes to the notion of "burn-out" on a build. But I think I've got my attitude towards the hobby figured out finally, at least as it relates to me personally (and my personality). I get the biggest kick out of learning new techniques and skills in building a car. Each part of the car is a mini challenge that I enjoy tackling. Putting it all together at the end is just a bonus that I look forward to but it's not the "goal" if ever there was one. I just do it for fun. Thanks again for your interest and sentiments.

Dennis, glad you stumbled upon the Henry thread and appreciate your compliment. Hope you enjoy the rest of the build as it progresses. :)

Hi Tim,

Excellent quality and craftmanship going on here, I enjoy watching.

About joining the aluminum parts, a shop here in Germany specializing in solder has some special type solder that joins brass/aluminum. I haven't contacted them yet, as I'm interested in purchasing solder with different, various melting points. Have you ever heard of or used this method?

Michael

Hi Michael, no I am not familiar of a solder that will join the two metals. If you can learn more and share it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you as always for your positive comments. I'll have some updates & pics in a few days hopefully. Cheers, Tim

Hi, Intercooling plumbing is done. Each pipe has 4 different angles and elbows to make it work. I was going to just bend solder or alum. rod to do this but I wanted to see if I could fab the joints as you see them. More like a real car. There are 4 band clamps and I have to add the welds yet. But they're basically done. I included some pics where the firebottles will be positioned as an fyi. Cheers,Tim

inTurboIntercoolerPlumbing2002-vi.jpg

inTurboIntercoolerPlumbing2012-vi.jpg

inTurboIntercoolerPlumbing2015-vi.jpg

inTurboIntercoolerPlumbing2018-vi.jpg