Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Thanks to each of you that posted a comment and for following along.

Joe - You don't miss a trick do ya'? Yeah, that "jig" was one of my better efforts. Took me all of 3 minutes to make. :D I just had to throw it up there to get a "visual" of how the wing was coming along as compared to vision / goal of what I want it to be. So far, so good. And thanks too.

Randy - Thank you. After seeing your pedal box for your GT40 in the WIP section, I'm suitably humbled. Truly gives one inspiration and insights as to what CAN be achieved. Go check it out fellas. It's scratchbuilding at the extreme.

Cheers everyone!

Appreciate each and everyone of your comments I assure you. This was a busy week. Machinists have all my respect in the world as I've come to realize how much pure concentration and effort goes into machining a given component let alone having to make a twin. I've got 25 hours at least in these brackets but they were worth it to me. I have a vision for the entire wing assembly and I'm on the way to getting it come to life (so to speak). I MUST call out Joe however......that last post of his was WAY too over the top with puns and laughs. I'll keep making and posting Joe if you keep making funnies....deal? Anyways, here are the "twins". Cheers

HenryJTwinTurboWingStruts001-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboWingStruts006-vi.jpg

First time commenting. Absolutely amazing work! Your comment about putting in 25 hours to make these parts provoked me to reply. That amount of time can be related to and compared to the amount of money you have invested in your project. Once approached a machinist to cut a die for doing aluminum velocity stacks and his charge was $100.00 an hour and he estimated a minimum of 2 hours to complete. I deeply admire your dedication and efforts to completing this project. I tip my hat to you and can't wait to see the 'J' in final form.

Thanks Tyrone....always appreciated!

Mark - the price of "education" is steep for me when it comes to time on the build. But I'm learning a new skill (machining) and the time invested is well spent as I'm enjoying the process AND the results so far. Thanks for posting.

OKAY - QUICK QUESTION for everyone following along. I've done my bing/google other search ( the forum) homework and I'm looking for recommended clear coats to put over the CF decals I'm laying down on the wing now. I'm going to do a quick experiment with Testors wet look clear (lacquer) and their "High Gloss" 2780 enamel. I'll cut em' 50/50 with thinner and shoot them at 30 psi with several mist coats as a starter. I know Future is a safe one to use but it puddles up too frequently on me and I'm looking for other alternatives. The data I've found is dated to around 2012 and now that CF is more prevelant, I thought I'd seek out other ideas from you guys. Appreciate any insights you'd like to share. Cheers, Tim

Tim... I personally Shoot PPG Urethane Automotive clear over my decals. I used to use PPG Concept 2020 but they no longer make it and I believe its called Concept 2021 now but I would recommend PPG's Omni Plus MC161 Urethane Clear. I bought some of that recently and it lays down just as nice as my Concept 2020. I spray this all thru my air brush and mini HVLP detail guns. if you want I can post a pic here of my 1/16 FED that I shot clear over the decals. Now I don't have any C/F decals on this build. But if you take a look at Clay Kemps 1/16th scale Pro Mod Mustang, I know he did the beautiful C/F work on the injector hat and I want to say it was sprayed with PPG clear as well. Don't quote me on it but I am pretty positive that's what it was.

Can't wait to see more results. Superb stuff.

My limited knowledge of CF is that the newer, better fiber has a glossy finish to it, so your plan to use the clear gloss would be right. I would heed Chris' info with the urethane. Guys, correct me if I'm wrong on the CF finish.

Ok, I should have googled the info first. Here's what I found on a forum......The finish has nothing to do with the lamination method. Both a matte finish and a gloss finish can be achieved on a dry carbon or wet lamination lay up. It is merely a coating that is added AFTER the part is removed from the tool during the finishing stages. There is more to it than that... but thats just the easiest way to understand it.

both can have UV protection applied.

marketing gets confusing because there is no exact spec or definition of dry vs wet. dry carbon is often said to have a matte finish, so they call matte finish carbon dry carbon fiber, which is false. Vacuum Infusion regardless weather it uses pre-preg or not is still wet carbon. however if an autoclave is used using pre-preg that is real dry carbon.

as said above you can have the look of matte or glossy with either type. the process of making that look either way varies from manufacture to manufacture depending on wet or dry process

Thanks Chris and Dave for the info/insights. I'll do a little more research and test some out. This weekend I'll spray the testor clears on some test panels. The CF is on the wing and looks pretty sharp. The reason I want to clear primarily is to bring out the weave pattern.....just make sit "pop". In the meantime I'm working on the wheelie bars and then I finish the very end of the brass of the brass chassis where the batteries go, chutes and wing are attached etc. This part of the build is getting much closer to being done. Happy Memorial Day ! Tim

I used cellulose clear straight out of the can over Scale Motor Sports CF decals on this resin injector hat. I did the same on the panels and these were on my 1/16th scale Soul Reaper Pro-Mod Camaro and I had no problems.

dscf4096v.jpg

Thanks Steve. Seems all the advice I've gotten is to go with 2 part urethane. So what did I do you ask. Well, Testors Wet look clear. Decanted it and thinned it 40%. Took 2 1/2 hours to apply 2 mist, 1 med. and 1 wet coat. Shot it at 20psi and the weather was perfect. Turned out very well even though the pics don't do it justice. And thankfully I won't even have to polish and there's only 1 tiny dust bunny on the very underside of the wing. Made a simple stand for it to assist in assembling it which will help for future mock-ups when I finish the back of the chassis. Cheers, Tim

enryJTwinTurboCompletedWing003-vi.jpg

enryJTwinTurboCompletedWing005-vi.jpg

enryJTwinTurboCompletedWing014-vi.jpg

Hi Tim,

Well you certainly know how to take a wing and create a piece of art :wub: Your finish is flawless, congrats my friend!!! The added linkage is really cool.

The brackets on the wing, are they Detail Master or something of your creation?

Randy

A personal thanks to each of you that took the time to comment and your encouraging input. Wheelie bars and the final back brass portion of the chassis are next.

I also want to answer Randys question about the wing brackets (the drilled out small pieces underneath the wing that attach to the strut itself) yes, they're detail master hood hinges that were slightly modified and polished. I always check my parts stash (don't we all) and found these. I had taken a lot of time to make 4 individual units but I just wasn't thrilled with them as they were a tad too large in my estimation. I thought these with the drilled holes in them complimented the struts themselves in a much better fashion. Cheers