Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

* Chris, certainly appreciated. I just know your next funny update will be spectacular.

* Henry, appreciated sir.

* Brad, I'm going to need some help with the decals. My friend Dave has offered some assistance on that front. No hurries to get em' done but they will certainly complete them.

*John, Derrick, Michael and Dave - thank you so much guys for not getting totally bored with this build at this point and your favorable comments are always welcome.

* Joe - Joe - Joe ----- put the drink down and step away from the pun machine. That new house is really suiting you obviously. Gonna ever build anything again. ;)

*Cesar, depends I guess. I either snip em' off with heavy duty electrical snips which give me a particular edge or I'll use a dremel cut off blade for a straight finish. If I'm fish mouthing the ends, I'll use the dremel cut off wheel to put a notch in the the end and then work a round file to open it up. Many times I'll use dremel quick change sanding discs (60, 120 or 240 grit depending) to square up or finish off the ends. Probably more than you expected as an answer. I'm sure there are many more options you could attempt too. Hope this helped.

**** Today, I started a revised intake for the car. As much as I like the engine or this car, the intake was made entirely by hand and scratch. With a mill now I can attempt some other things and intake design has really leapt ahead the last several years. Today I got the bottom half of the intake done and I've got the top drawn up. It's a multi facected piece and the top is only 3mm tall. (it'll be a low profile design manifold obviously) The top half is the challenging part and what I'm attempting to make is not the holy grail design I really wanted to attempt for the car. My friend Dave, (yup, comp1839) has offered to teach / assist on that particular when our calendars mesh. In the mean time I'm going to try something new and better than what i have now. It'll have a throttle body that will scale out at 5" too. Comments welcome. Cheers, tim

enryJTwinTurboRevisedIntake002-vi.jpg

enryJTwinTurboRevisedIntake008-vi.jpg

Tim... Nice job so far on redoing the intake. It's looking good so far. I need to save my pennies so I get a machine to tinker on. I can see how much fun you are having by fabricating your own parts. I would love to be able to machine mybown parts.

Thanks for the comments guys. Got a little more done on the upper part of the intake.......I've got quite a few operations to execute yet, but so far it's squared up and the proper dimensions. I'm stopping and measuring / checking everything 3 and 4 times before making a cut at this stage as I don't want to mess it up.

Here's the round rod cut into the rectangular shape of the intake.

nryJTwinTurboRevisedIntake2004-vi.jpg

The next pics shows some small shaping at the base so it matches up to the bottom portion of the intake that I posted previously and an angle cut which will face towards the front of the car.

nryJTwinTurboRevisedIntake2025-vi.jpg

The last pic shows the front and the size of the throttle body (i've yet to make of course) and it's location will be just a little bit higher on the face of the intake. There are many subtle but important cuts that I've yet to do but I'll make the effort to take more pics along the way and hopefully it will turn out. I enjoy doing these sorts of custom pieces because each one is so different from the others I've done and I have to think it through in advance and at times, as I go along. When I get really stumped, I turn to Dave for assistance as he always seems to have the right answer / advice for me.....if you read this Dave, thanks again!!! Oh, and the sharp edges along the top you see at this point will be rounded in a later operation. Cheers, Tim

nryJTwinTurboRevisedIntake2028-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Brad, it's the natural progression I believe. You'll get the brass thing down pretty quickly I'm sure and then you'll be like...hmmm...what's next...a mill perhaps? You're going to get the bug bad I'm afraid. ;) It's a slippery slope. Cheers and THANK YOU for the help on the decals. I'll look for your note. Tim

Probably a week till I can finish the intake Henry.  I had to send a tool out to be modified.  I will post some pics of the Frankenstein mustang i have been hacking on the last few days. Thanks for asking!   Cheers