Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Started the rear "tree" of the chassis. I have to thread the chute / wheelie bars and wing struts through the whole thing and make sure the trunk lid clears of course. Cheers, Tim

HenryJTwinTurboRearTree017-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboRearTree032-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Thanks so much fellas. Hope to get some work done on it today and have it attached to the frame by tomorrow along with some additional bracing. Then I'll make the brackets for the wing and chutes. I'm anxious to mock it up with the body in place and the wing & wheelie bars attached to the chassis.

Clayton - I use a 250 watt, American Beauty resistance soldering setup. Somewhere on this thread, I think I shared the model number. There are pros and cons of doing brass v. plastic, it's just what suits you and what you want to achieve. I say jump into the pool, the waters fine! :D

• 2 weeks later...

1/2 a day to make the twin brackets to affix the wing to the chassis. I had to remake the twin trees as one fell apart (careless on my part) while soldering it on. UGH! Anyways, the small brass brackets will be on the inside of the chassis, not the outside as you see them. The wing strut will then be secured on the outside of the little bracket. The little bracket was a challenge as it had to clear the body, mate to the chassis and have the proper angle for the wing. Comments welcome. Cheers, Tim

inTurboRearTreeandWingMount026-vi.jpg

inTurboRearTreeandWingMount011-vi.jpg

inTurboRearTreeandWingMount007-vi.jpg

inTurboRearTreeandWingMount016-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

This is just what I needed. I'm busting my butt packing for tomorrows move, decide to take a break, sit down take a deep breath, click, I see my bud Tim has an update and THERE IT IS!!!!!!!

A hair clip being used for a clamp. My man, you are The King of Construction Improvisation. I'd bow and bend a knee, but I couldn't get back up at this point.

Break's over. See ya' in a few days.

Excellent Tim!

What I really like viewing is the cleanliness of your work, and the piece itself. This is always an incentive for me and these things have helped me personally quite a bit. Lots to be learned while just looking, and I do enjoy it.

Michael

John - Thanks dude but you have nothing to blush about. What are your working on now btw and where do I find it?

Joe - Best of luck with your move and can't wait to see you back on the bench soon. I KNEW you'd pick out my ultra trick clamp ;) I actually shortened them and rounded the tips as they're much easier to get into tight spaces. They make great heat sinks too!

Michael - I swear to you I'm not obsessive compulsive. I swear. Just fussy shall we say. And thanks for noticing. I haven't cleaned the joints up yet as I have a particular build process going on back there right now. But soon.

Ray, Leonard, Dave & John.....greatly appreciated guys. Hope you keep following along.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows someone that makes custom decals. I'm putting Braille Li batteries (twin 16v) in the back end of the car but there are no aftermarket decals of this particular brand. I need to make or have them made. I've never done them and the artwork for the particular battery I'm using is hard to come by. I've scoured the web but haven't found anything yet. I did buy a decal making kit from MicroMark but it's of no use without the proper image(s) of course. Any inisghts or suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers to all, Tim

Edited by Codi

Tim... "WOW" totally impressive my friend. The wing and set up is just Wicked looking. Every update is just plain awesome on this build.

Yeah Johnny T... What are you working on. It's not like you are waiting on parts from someone or are you?? Whisting_zpsltmerutt.gif ...... Rolling%20On%20the%20Floor_zpszxzwuolv.g

Tim, I am very new to this, so much so I havent build a kit since I was a kid. I just joined the forum and Im still in the planning stages. I like large scale car so my first attempt at this will be a 1/12 foose camaro, set up to x275 specs. I always plan ahead and never shoot from the hip on any builds, and the research has me baffled on specs alone. I know the x275 class is fairly new class, but Im finding different rules in different parts of the country. Maryland, being the closest state to me with guidelines, will most likely be the specs I build the car to. The only direction I have at the moment is a single turbo small block with a ladder bar suspension. Im still researching component dimensions, and with alot of searching, I finally found specs for the ford 9" third member bolt pattern. So if this is a sign, this is gonna take awhile LOL.

Thats sound kinda cool John. I'm sure you'll have quite a bit of interest once you start buiding and posting.

Today was 6 (yes Joe, start the jokes now...I said SIX) hours of figuring out HOW to attach the brackets onto the chassis so that they were spot on in place (up/down/sideways/that way/this way.....you get the idea) and not ruin any of my other work. That's the engineering side of this process. After a bunch of thought and a trip down the wrong path, I got it right. It's not much of an update it might seem, but this was a very important point of progress for me. I have only a couple 32nds of an inch to get the wheelie bars to fit INSIDE the wing and the parachute bracket has to be perfectly down the middle of the wheelie bars. so far its where it needs to be. All I can say is "whew". Enjoy.

HenryJTwinTurboWingON003-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboWingON009-vi.jpg

Hi Tim,

6 hours. The piece is already built, but not mounted. I think this gives good insight into what is involved when you build a model without kit instructions.

Compliments.

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

It is the little things that make a model great that always take so long to get right as you want it to be....but its the part that most people dont see.......unless its wrong...then thats all they talk about when they find that one thing wrong out of 2000 things you did.

trust me all your time and effort is not un noticed.