Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Tim... thank you for the info on the plating. I checked their website and I couldnt find a kit for 49.99. I found an electroless nickle system for 149.99 which i believe you hest up the bath to a certain temp and then you place your parts in for a certain amount of time.

Anyway I have to tell you that you are starting to be like me redoing parts... lol. I admire that attention to make things right. But I can totally relate when we see something we arent 100% happy with and want to make it right. Keep up the great work.

Edited by Mooneyzs

John, thank you for the compliment and taking the time to check out my other builds....as few as they may be.

Chris, best thing is to do a "bing" search for "caswell $49.99 nickel plate / copper kit......you should get the link to their site you need. I must admit, of all the vendor websites I go to, theirs is one of the worst to navigate. Great product, 1999 era website (search wise).

As mentioned, did the bars over today. Here they are in their proper scale. The real 1:1 bars, for those interested are 1.6" in diameter. They are not glued together as you see them and the couple of support brackets have yet to be affixed....but here they are. Cheers, Tim

TwinTurboRevisedWheelieBar2012-vi.jpg

TwinTurboRevisedWheelieBar2031-vi.jpg

TwinTurboRevisedWheelieBar2032-vi.jpg

TwinTurboRevisedWheelieBar2060-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Tim... nice work on the updated bars. I Admire your dedication to redo do these to make them right in your eyes... you know I would of done the same. Thank you for also the info to look up the plating kit. I realized that I was looking at the nickle plated baths kits and the process you used was the brush plating system. I am going to compare the two and possibly try one in the near future.

Appreciated it guys. Chris, look up the Nickel plate eletro plating kit, it doesn't have the copper solution (which you don't need to get started) and it's $36.99 too!

Ray, I'm nuts, not insane. I've used on all my builds R & B Motion Rod Ends. They're some things that just aren't worth taking the time to make and his machined Rod Ends are of the best quality.

Cheers

Hi, I finally got the dirtmodeler chrome bracket on that I received recently and think it thoroughly completes the wheelie bar. Comments welcome. Cheers

winTurboCompletedWheelieBar028-vi.jpg

winTurboCompletedWheelieBar023-vi.jpg

winTurboCompletedWheelieBar016-vi.jpg

Now it's time to move on to complete the back end of the frame.

Edited by Codi

Tim... what can I say but that is dang gorgeous and has to be ine of the best wheelie bars ever done. I see you put the Big A$$ penny you machined next to the real car again... haha Keepnup the gteat work and I cant wait to see what you will work on next.

Brad... I am seriously thinking about getting a platting kit myself as well.

Appreciated fellas, they were frustrating to make.

The hands good now Joe, a little sore and swollen at times, but a couple more weeks and I'm expecting no problems at all. Thanks for asking.

Scott (futurattraction) no meaning on the penny date. I was born in 56' though. I would like to thank and acknowledge Scott for his products as well. I used 5 of his PE nickel brackets on the wheelie bar assembly in addition to the 2 brackets I used from dirtmodeler (they were brass btw). We're fortunate as builders to have suppliers such as these guys to provide these types of products. It would make scratch building far more time consuming if we had to make such mundane items too. NOT meant to demean what they they offer of course as they provide a VALUABLE service/product. It's just that I'd rather spend MY efforts and creative juices making different parts for the build. So I'll take one last moment to thank in no particular order, RB Motion - Scale Hardware - DirtModeler - Futurattraction - BNA Models (of Australia) and M.A.S. (machined aluminum specialties) ....if I've not mentioned someone that I've used on this build, my sincerest apologies in advance. Cheers to all of you guys! Tim

Paul, i bought mine from RCFOAM.COM - They have an excellent assortment. The problem you'll run into is I build for accuracy as much as is feasible and the smallest tube they offer is 1.8mm which scales to 1.8". Real 1:1 wheelie bars are 1.6" in diameter. The difference doesn't sound like much but on the car you'll see it. Just compare the pic of the 2 sizes I made as the 1st was only .3mm smaller than the second but it looks downright skinny next to the proper size. They offer 1.5 and 1.6mm ROD which I used but had to drill out, but it is a real PITA to do so as it easily splinters. That's what took me so long to make these and made it a bit frustrating. IF and when they ever offer 1/16" CF tube, they'll sell a bunch of it just for wheelie bars alone. :) That or you're going to see at the shows a bunch of cars with oversized wheelie bars.

Hope this helps. I might not have enjoyed making them but I DO like the result. The look of the real CF bars on the car just can't be beat IMO. Cheers

Edited by Codi

Ray, yup, I must admit, it was worth it afterall, just needed a few days for my memory to dim over the aggravation they caused me. ;)

Henry, you're quite welcome.

Dave - Nope, I have no need for the old one, BUT, i do save certain parts as you never know when it might come in handy in some way on another build, right? But I most assuredly appreciate your sense of humor!