Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Appreciated guys, one last pic for you before I button it up the next few days once and for all. I am going to have to change the valve cover breathers as they're all wrong for the dry sump setup on the engine.  I'll make a pair that route to the puke tank I just made.  Cheers,

Henry J Twin Turbo NEW INTAKE 015

Surely this 1:25 model motor is an engineering and modeling marvel, but personally I find the amount and size of the brass bolts on a mirroring aluminum background as a bit too much.  I find it distracts somewhat from the general, overall view.  8 bolts for a blower, why 30 for an intake of this nature?

Appreciated guys, one last pic for you before I button it up the next few days once and for all. I am going to have to change the valve cover breathers as they're all wrong for the dry sump setup on the engine.  I'll make a pair that route to the puke tank I just made.  Cheers,

Henry J Twin Turbo NEW INTAKE 015

Ok Tim, stop showing us pics of the real engine, come out of your garage and leave your full sized car alone. :-) 

Joking aside, this is some serious detailing my friend, and your machining skills are top notch. This is with out doubt the best 1/25th scale engine I have ever seen. Without knowing the scale, this would pass for a much larger scale engine. Superb.

Steve

tim, i'd say excellent work here but, it's well beyond that point. the correctness of the detail in this scale, is mind boggling and yes, that includes the bolt quantity on the intake. i could try to explain it to you but, it's just easier to post a picture. fantastic work tim!!!!!!

484702_621537007870329_478883849_n.jpg

Hello everyone.  I sincerely appreciate your replies to the pics posted.  I recognize so many of you from previous posts and quite a few new ones as well.  THANKS again is all I can say and I'm glad you like what you see.  I wish you could see it in person.  I've got to get to a show or club meeting sometime soon to finally share what I've been working on.

Dave (comp1839) a pic is worth a thousand words and yours sums up beautifully what I was going for when I worked on the new intake.  It's not the "Holy Grail" as mentioned earlier but I hope someday you can share with me the steps that I might take to try to achieve it. I don't want to share what that design is at this time but lets just say that "Gen 3" of the intake would blow this most recent one away if it can / could be pulled off. 

No offense to anyone that has posted and if I didn't reply to you personally in this note.  But be assured, your comments, each and every one, mean a lot to me.  Next I'm going to do the shock sensors and a new drive shaft hoop with drive shaft RPM sensor. It took me a bit of research to figure them out, but I got em' now and can move forward.  Oh, and Brad has been kind enough to mock-up some Braille decals too for the batteries, I'll wrap them up too and then a final  COMPLETE mock-up of the back-half of the car.  Cheers to each and everyone of you and thanks again for following along.  Tim

The reasons why a blower works with 8 bolts is because the aluminum housing is thick and sturdy, where a sheet metal intake is not. If you ever seen an aircraft frame, it's made up of sheet panels rivited together, and the rivits are very close to each other. A sheet metal  intake, with 30lbs of boost, will surely leak if it didn't have a lot of screws holding it together.

it has everything to do with pressure and area.while thick and sturdy help,  the manifold pictured is made entirely from billet. it is not a sheet metal / fabricated intake. how do you explain the sheet metal / fabricated blower manifolds that are produced if that were true?

Edited by comp1839

Thanks Derrick.....

Never weighed it Ray, I'll have to take a moment sometime just for giggles.

John, both.  there's a good pic on page 13 of this thread that shows the inters mounted on the main hoop up and out of the way of the fire bottles.  There was no room to mount the fire bottles in the back half of the chassis.  It's a tight fit everywhere and anywhere on the car that's for sure. 

Cheers, Tim

John, both.  there's a good pic on page 13 of this thread that shows the inters mounted on the main hoop up and out of the way of the fire bottles.  There was no room to mount the fire bottles in the back half of the chassis.  It's a tight fit everywhere and anywhere on the car that's for sure. 

Cheers, Tim

John,  I hope you appreciate the fact that I allowed Tim to sacrifice that space where I wanted a cappuccino maker. I never should have caved, but, it is his build mumble, mumble, grrrrr.........

unfortunately john, it's not a copy of a sheetmetal manifold.

it's billet because it has way more precision designed into it than could ever be achieved in a sheetmetal manifold.

the question was posed to you to please explain how, if a plane  needs all those rivets to hold it's sheet metal body together (like a sheetmetal manifold needs more bolts). why does a blower still require only 8 bolts to hold it to a sheetmetal blower manifold?

as far as answering my own question...........i didn't. while i know the answer, i was curious if you did.