Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Tim... that wing is incredible Man. You continie to blow me away with every update of this build. everytime each update gets better and better. You are a true craftsman And have to be one of a handful of top builders around. I really enjoy seeing your work and only hope I get to see it in person ine of these days.

Thanks Guys. Dave, the decals were from Scale Motorsport. Part # 1020. They were 1/20th scale, the 1/25 (24th) scale patterns were so small that I don't believe you would have seen much if anything of the pattern. I don't think anyone will notice. ;) Cheers

Note to Contest Judges: Tim Hoagland is attempting to decieve us all by using oversized CF decals in order to draw attention away from all of the obvious flaws in this build.

Note to Self: Dude, there are no flaws, obvious or otherwise anywhere on this build. Good luck getting the judges to buy that one.

Note to Tim: DUDE !!!!! What a great idea using larger scale decals. Genius I tells ya' !!! Sheer genius !!

I used cellulose clear straight out of the can over Scale Motor Sports CF decals on this resin injector hat. I did the same on the panels and these were on my 1/16th scale Soul Reaper Pro-Mod Camaro and I had no problems.

dscf4096v.jpg

This a beautiful example of a blower CF application. However, I work with 1/25 and received a sheet of similar scaled CF. I couldn't even start to conceive how to apply the form I needed for a mid-2000's hat, much less my eventual goal of a pro mod style like this.

I ended up cutting out a one-piece paper pattern like an exploded box where you have to fold certain pieces correctly to form a 3D image. Surprisingly it turned out well on the top of the hat, but the sides were weak where folded down and didn't adhere well. Besides that, the instructions required the piece to sit for 4-5 days :o

Can you please let on as to how you got the decal to contour to the large, rounded butterflies and how you cut/matched the CF to the gooseneck part of where the hat meets the blower top? Thanks.

As usual Tim, a knockout job. I'd hate to even try to compete against builds like these! :)

Started the wheelie bars. The piece you see respresents a chromoly piece that attaches to the bottom of the axle 4 link brackets. The design is one I saw of a recent pic of the JEGS promod vette. It's triangular and combines carbon fiber and chromoly. I have CF rod on the way (the RC car and plane industry has it) and I'm going to make mine the same. I do have some 3D CF decals that I might apply to the tubes as well but I have to see how thin I can cut them. The tubes will be 1.2mm to replicate the real thing. The housing for the wheelie wheel itself is a modified dirt modeler piece. I'm going to nickel plate that bracket as well as the one in brass that I fabbed in these two pics. I polished the rear end as well in preparation for attaching some nickel brackets from futurattraction. CheersTwinTurboStartofWheelieBars005-vi.jpg

TwinTurboStartofWheelieBars010-vi.jpg

@Codi inspiring stuff as always, love the work on the rear end.

@MitchP I put the CF decal on the hat in two halves, and used decal softener on it, so it could conform to the shape.

I let the first half dry, then repeated the process, when dry, I trimmed it, then cleared it.

Steve

Thanks fellas, and as usual Joe...very funny.....disturbing........but funny.

Ray - I mock this rascal up a bunch which took me half an hour just to locate the axle and x-brace again so I could fab the wheelie bars. I'm anxious as well to assemble all the components once I complete the rear of the chassis and I'll be sure to share. I DO enjoy having the time to think ahead on certain things as I'm going to use a different design of bracket I've been mulling over to attach the wing to the chassis. That's one advantage to being such a s-l-o-w builder. ;)

The CF rod showed up yesterday so now I can get on with finishing the wheelie bars. It's tedious drilling out 1.2mm rod with a #74 bit but I don't expect any issues. I'm expecting an order from dirtmodeler as well for some brackets that I want to use but I can at least get these made and add the brackets at the end.

Cheers

s-l-o-w...Sometimes the work has to dictate the pace in order to achieve satisfactory results.

Especially when you're doing something for the first time.

Just the way it is.

You can usually tell when viewing someone's work whether they're actually thinking about it or just pounding ahead with the "get-er-done" mentality.

Thanks Ray. spent the better part of the day not getting much built but working on how to consistently drilll out tiny 1.2mm rod. Carbon fiber is a bugger as it splinters due to its makeup and you have to be perfectly on center since the rod is so tiny. Finally, after 4 hours of trial and error (I'm nothing if not persistent, my wife would say stubborn) and came upon a method that works v. well. It was worth it in my estimation as I like the look of the parts I've fabbed so far and how they look together. In between my experimentation I also came across a better looking brace design for them that I like and I'm changing that aspect of the design as well. The CF rod won't require decals as it's the perfect finish and look (should be right?) as it is. Tomorrow I hope to make some serious headway to get these rascals done sooner than later. Someday I'll look back on this build as the one that I learned the most from....I think. Cheers, Tim

I dunno' Tim. This is at least three times you've mentioned these imaginary rods of yours without a single piece of evidence to back it up. Did you watch a YouTube video of somebody else drilling out rods??? HUH??? HMMmmm????

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt for now because I've seen you post pics before.

Please don't make me post a pic of a Minion drilling out that rod for you.

Okay, done being silly. Can't wait for the next update my friend.

Edit: Perfect. As soon as I posted this I got an ad for Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem at Universal Studios. Too funny.

Edited by Nitrozilla

One more small horizontal bar to add and some beautiful chrome dirtmodeler brackets and these are done. They're not glued together yet but you'll get the idea. I strongly dislike making wheelie bars btw. This 3 bar unit fought me every which way. It was without a doubt the most aggravating thing I've made to date for this build. And that's saying alot. Thanks for letting me vent a little bit. Cheers, tim

HenryJTwinTurboWheelieBar025-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboWheelieBar040-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboWheelieBar003-vi.jpg

I empathize with you on the bars. I have played with CF rod before and it is a total pain. They look great Tim.

What really looks cool is the caster and the wheel you made for it. Top notch man.

Any time you want to vent, we're here for you.

The wheelie bar unit certainly looks frail, and perfect. Fantastic detailing and very cleanly executed, good that you have it behind you.

Tim, I see the assembly took you off your frame jig, that thing is long. Will you attach it permanently at the very end of the build?

Michael

Tim... That Has to be the best wheelie bar I have seen. If I didn't know this was a model I would of swore it was the real thing. It still get me that Here I am doing what I am doing on a 1/16th scale build and the level of detail you are achieving on this 1/25th scale just blows me away. I truly love it. Hey I gotta ask again what was the Nickle plating kit that you got to do your stuff?? I have been thinking about may be get getting a kit and trying it myself...lol After getting my latch done I may have to plate it now..haha.

Michael - its frail looking because I made it the wrong dimension. I thought the same thing when I put them on the car but accepted it was right. It took me about 90 minutes to finally find the CORRECT diameter that the real thing is made from.....my bars are 25% too narrow. I'm re-doing the whole thing. Thankfully I have the materials on hand (won't have to re-make the wheelie wheel and housing) and more importantly the KNOWLEDGE on the dimensions (length of tubes etc.) and how to fab down solid. I suspect I can get em' remade in little more than a day. I KNOW they'll look more appropriate then. Silly what a few tenths of a millimeter mean huh but I won't compromise on their accuracy.........so.........

Chris - the kit you're seeking is the $49.99 nickel plating kit from caswell. be sure to read their directions and try some of the tips I've shared here on the best way to get decent results.....at least from what I've learned thru experience.

Cheers