Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Range of Hot Rod Wheels & Tyres, Old School Style !

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys !

It has been a while but I was finally able to finish the masters for the wheels and tyres. The version on the far right is a mild pro street configuration. All the whitewalls are separate inserts.  I have been wanting to create a set of standout big n little wheels for a long time only to find myself thwarted when it came to the design of the tyre. For the high profile tyres it was a case of splicing a second tyre into the existing one to raise the diameter. For the small one in  the middle, the centre had to be carved out to fit the whitewall inserts. The other side of this tyre also takes a larger front wheel not shown, that has the same pattern as this one. The larger wheel on the  left was widened by 2mm and the diameter was reduced by 1mm. These wheels work out to around 19 inches in 1:1 scale. With the slightly reduced diameter and deeper offset the overall effect is closer to what I originally set out to do and that was replicate the style used on Bobby Alloways 34's he built in the mid nineties.

P1017452.JPG

Edited by fractalign

Here is another image of the same wheel in a different tyre, this is one of the resin tyres that was painted up. I have been casting all the wheels as well as an adapter that attaches to the large wheel hub, that replicates the star cap shaped hub on the small wheel shown in the first image. The only remaining task know is to make the backs for both wheels and the brakes for the rear ones and cast them up too. Once these tasks are complete, I can finish work on the five spoke versions that will run the same outer rim as these ones. These wheels fit neatly under all the Model A, 32 and 34 Kits I have tried out, with or with out fenders. I will have more photos once I have finished the five spoke versions.

P1017453.JPG

Edited by fractalign