Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ju-87 B-2 Stuka from the All the Rest CB-2nd Place

Just finished this one up after a long few months. I started with a 1/48 Hasegawa Ju-87 B-2 Stuka kit and added an Aires interiror detail set, oil reservoir and wing mounted machine gun guts from a Verlinden update set,Eduard canopy mask and decals from Tally Ho. I've been wanting to build an aircraft with this scheme now for 18 years and have had this kit for 16 years. I guess after all this time it was finally high time I started on it but I'm glad I didn't because I haven't had the skills to pull this all together until the last two years. Originally I was going to open up the engine bay because I do have an Aires total upgrade kit to do that with but decided against it because it would interupt such a cool scheme. I mean how many aircraft do you see runnin' around with a snake that goes from one end of the bird to the other?

All in all I had a complete blast building this kit as I took my sweet time with it as to not have any foul ups. The cockpit had to be the most fun I had with it. The Aires floor didn't fit right and was WAY too small so I modified the Hasegawa floor and transferred all of the floor detail from the Aires floor to the Hasegawa floor. Other than that it was pretty straight forward:

Morecockpitphotos001_zps1819a600.jpg

As for the rest of the build it was a chore and time consuming with the paint job but in the end it was worth the investment. I began with priming and pre-shading the whole bird, then I continued with the original splinter camoflage scheme of light green RLM 71, dark green RLM 70 and light blue RLM 76 (which I later could have slapped myself because it's supposed to be a brighter blue RLM 65 but it was too late in the game to ruin the work that I poured into it to change it). After that I painted on the field applied camoflage in the form of tan RLM 79 over the original camo. Absolutely NO foul ups here! I moved VERY slowly with this due to the work that went into the original splinter camo pattern. I have had a set of snake decals since the beginning(16 years ago) from Cutting Edge but they were too old to use and kept breaking up so I had to replace them with a set from Tally Ho. These decals evoked a range of feelings here because on one hand they laid down totally awesome and sucked right into the detail but were slightly out of scale. All in all I was happy with their application. LOTS of sweating while putting them on though.......................LOTS!!!

FinishedPicsII004_zpsea5730cd.jpg

FinishedPicsII005_zps50faa5fd.jpg

FinishedPicsII001_zps8325e730.jpg

FinishedPicsII002_zpsdba67c6e.jpg

Ju87StukaFinished004_zps4e499680.jpg

Ju87StukaFinished006_zpsbfbced83.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Glenn!!! There was a loud screaming/ siren noise that wasusually came from that little propeller you see there on the left wing on the landing gear spat. Alot of pilots elected to remove them because they were so dang noisy and were called the "Trumpets of Jericho". Youre right though, a god awful noise when diving. Fear factor played as much of a role as the bombing itself with the sirens on these things. I have built alot of aircraft from WWII and like them all but I have a soft spot for the Luftwaffe's airframes as they had some really cool looking birds and narly camo schemes. :D

• 4 months later...

Thanks Doug and Jeremy! There were two different snake motif's applied on these birds and the color has been a mystery. Some say it's red and others say tan. I personally think the red is a more "in your face" and sinister look but the tan looks evil as well.

The only known documented pics I can find out of my references(and I think the only ones that are available):

Stukasnakepatterns002_zpsde789ffd.jpg

A drawing of the tan setup:

Stukasnakepatterns003_zpsba15f913.jpg

and my decal sheet with the red setup:

Stukasnakepatterns001_zpsbd6f4a5f.jpg

Thanks Glenn!!! There was a loud screaming/ siren noise that wasusually came from that little propeller you see there on the left wing on the landing gear spat. Alot of pilots elected to remove them because they were so dang noisy and were called the "Trumpets of Jericho". Youre right though, a god awful noise when diving. Fear factor played as much of a role as the bombing itself with the sirens on these things. I have built alot of aircraft from WWII and like them all but I have a soft spot for the Luftwaffe's airframes as they had some really cool looking birds and narly camo schemes. :D

A lot of the bombs were fitted with whistles for the same purpose. I have lots of photos, should you ever need any.