Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 GMC General/Chevy Bison update 49 teaser

Thank you for all the kind comments.

Moving forward, managed to get a bit of paint on the instrument panel so now it is on to putting in some lighting and gauge faces.

In bigger news, giving the cab and doors a rest and trying to hack away on the hood (less fenders and grille surround). Closer look at the 1:1 hood reveals a long forgotten taper. So I took the existing sides (just sheet plastic), plopped a second layer on top and went in with a piece of balsa to try and recreate the taper. A model airplane buddy suggested slobbering the balsa in ultra thin superglue and then sanding for better paint finish. I may go back and do that but will do a bit more before getting to that point. Anyone ever done this? He is definitely a high end RC flyer with some nice works so who am I to poo poo it.

I think you can figure out where we are going on the air cleaner. The cap is a frame bolt cover picked up at a truckstop for such a time as this. It is a little "big" compared to the chunky little thing standard on GMC's, but works just too well and does not look like the ones used by KW or Pete. JC Whitney air cleaner perhaps? It may not fly as the fenders will have to clear but it would not be too hard to make a bit shorter.

Meanwhile, Lugnut is dumpster diving and calling in favors trying to find something to repurpose for use as fenders. hoodsideearly001-vi.jpg

hoodsideearly003-vi.jpg

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks

Well, curiosity killed the cat. It was back to the cab and seeing if Lugnut could hang a door without hurting himself in the process. Door panels are just laying in place for paint later on. "And how did curiousity kill the cat?" you may ask? Look close at the outside of the door. Seems someone forgot to cut the hole for the exterior door handle before mounting it. Nice to be able to blame it on Lugnut. Raggafraggabragga......

Overall, certainly not as clean as many of the precision works shared by others, it has the much sought after PRIMARY objectives. DURABLE and CHEAP. The "drip rail", like the weatherstrip, is a piece of baling wire and while hopes were to run it down lower in the front, due to hinge placement and resulting door swing, interference became a problem. Hopes of an external "fake" piano hinge to help hide the resulting cutout also fizzed as it would result in a door bind. Geometry was never a strong suit.

As this thing is pretty largely a free hand, hack job full of hip shooting, it might come down to having a dark color "stripe" or something to help cover the exposed portion. On the good side is that if the door is "open" it is not visible.

Thoughts are to use some magnets to help keep the doors closed if dreams of having it an RC come to pass to keep them from bouncing open. We certainly would not want Lugnut to fall out and suffer further traumatic brain damage.

And more brainstorming on the fenders continues seeking something to "repurpose" as a starting point.. A stroll through second hand stores and "kitchen plastics" in the dollar stores are getting us closer to finding something. Some kitchen utensil storage trays (like those used to hold forks, spoons, and knives) might have potential. Or possibly some funky looking shampoo bottles. Getting closer........

Peace.

cabwithdriversdoorprelim002-vi.jpg

cabwithdriversdoorprelim003-vi.jpg

cabwithdriversdoorprelim001-vi.jpg

Just a brief progress update. Starting to take shape. Really need dimensions of seat cushions from a 1/16 KW or Pete if someone can. Lugnut is getting to the point of wanting to have a place to sit. Dont need base dimensions as a functioning suspension is planned.

For what it is worth, the trick of ultra thin superglue over balsa works great.

Peace.earlysettogetherlessfenders002-vi.jpg

earlysettogetherlessfenders001-vi.jpg

• 1 year later...

Back on the bench.  Lots have been going on in the past two years but this thing has been SLOWLY progressing. Writing a novel among other things that is to go into print in the next few days.  Hope all of you are well.  Everything is obviously just set in place.  Fuel tanks are made out of lug nut covers obtained at a local truckstop.  Fenders were formed out of plastic sprues and then laid over with scraps. They are not perfect but for pennies and scrap will suffice. The hood top and front edge "frame" is formed with coat hanger wire and then side and top glued in.  The "cut" you will notice on the cab is the dash board assembly (which will be lit) and will also allow installation of the windshield.  The air cleaner and luberfiner will cover them.   Hope to work on some headlight buckets next and then on to the sleeper.  A basic 34" flat top.

The grille itself I have been piddling on for months.  Long and short this thing will likely become a Chevy Bison as the grill bars are all horizontal and much easier.

Peace

Edited by olsbooks

Thanks.  Nice to be back.  Had a few other pix "under the hood".  I had to considerably redo the engine due to damage moving around and hit the scrap box hard to come up with "something close". For those not wishing to go back, it started out as kit supplied 3408 and is removable.

The camera flash seems to make the belts look silver in some of the pix but they are flat black and all "double belted".  Leaks to be added. The piping from the turbo to the manifolds is made of  "flexible" drinking straws".  Mud flaps are construction paper and scrap wire. Still to decide whether the flaps will have Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, or ????.  Wires coming out the rear will be for functioning tail lights.

Oh and if anyone was wondering, the fenders are not attached to the hood and the fuel tanks/battery box just "hang" on the frame so I can play with their positioning and if a move comes, not have to worry about them breaking them/getting banged up yet again.  Ditto mudflaps.  Might try using Lego's for cab and sleeper mounts for the same reason and the hood will "hook" in place.

I will try and dig up Lugnut for the next post.

Peace.

engine 002.JPG

Edited by olsbooks

• 1 month later...

Thanks.  Been fussing and expanding my vocabulary in less than eloquent way with the headlight buckets.  They are not spot on so some artistic liberty will have to suffice. Headlights will have all bulbs lit.  Lots of cleanup remaining but hopefully enough to get an idea.   Tricky to not have this thing not evolve into a Superliner hood which it seems to want to do.  I think if I can get the styling lines back in the hood sides it will help.

Peace

Edited by olsbooks