Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 GMC General/Chevy Bison update 49 teaser

• 2 weeks later...

While to far too fresh to be polished out as that will come in a few days, the first color is applied.  I am a fan of Wicked Colors paints.

Not too bad for a largely junk/scrap conglomeration in my less than humble opinion.  The grille surround is going to be tricky. The want is there to use BMF but the compound curves at the top front pose trouble avoiding seams/cuts/overlap given my clunky skills. I may go the with Alclad but that talent needs honing as well.  A battle for another day I suppose.

While black was not the originally planned primary color, it was in the resource box and is part of a second novel underway hopefully out by the end of the year (along with this thing).

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks
space

First off thank you all for your very kind words and encouragement.  I have been remiss of offering my own to all of you with no valid excuse.  The works I see unfold continue to amaze and inspire.  While totally inadequate and impersonal, an across the board "wow" to you all.

Anyway, it appears life is such this project is going to have to sit but wanted to try pulling the pieces of putty together as perhaps a parting shot for a bit.  Tape and toothpicks holding it together and paint yet to polish out, but provides a pick up point for in the future.

Regards to you all.

Peace.

trial fit with paint 004.JPG

Edited by olsbooks
typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just goes to show I for one have no idea what tomorrow holds as a window of opportunity presented itself over the past weeks instead of the opposite as expected.

The windshield is made out of a 2 liter pop bottle cut and warmed with hot water to shape.  I am still not satisfied with the grille but so far it is the best I have been able to come up with using scrap wire and straightening it.  Might try it one more time as it seems it takes 3 times on everything to get it "right".  Functioning headlamps will be going in at some point and bulbs have been scrounged.  Ditto clearance lamps.  

Nothing is glued in yet and a sleeper is still to fabricate.  Need to see what I can find in the bargain aisle at Dollar General or the flea market to get started on it.

Peace

Edited by olsbooks

Thank you for the kind words.  Very humbling.

Yes, the change from General to Bison was made.  It is in conjunction with another novel in the series I am working on which a 1980 black "owner operator" Bison is somewhat center stage.  (www.macfixx.com) Besides, from a modeling standpoint, the Chevy grille and a bow tie is easier to whip up in 1/16 than a bunch of lettering and the more complex GMC grille.  I am still yet to figure out how to do the emblems on the side of the hood but may see what emerges with a bunch of solder blobs and poking/pressing/digging it with a tiny screwdriver and old dental pick.    

Peace.

This thing looks absolutely amazing......You've done an awesome job on this, Bud.....It looks like the sleeper will be "simple" compared to all you've done, so far.....I like this so much, I'm willing to part with some flat .060 sheet styrene to contribute to the build, if you're interested.....I've got enough to last me for years to come.....I could cut some up and hook you up if you don't find anything at the dollar store.....Just PM me.....I just want to see this baby come to life...... :D

Thank you all again.  I am yet to start on the hood side emblems but at JT's prompting, the sleeper is underway using old CD cases which are within 2mm of what was needed and eliminates the edge/corner issues.

One other challenge is the desire to apply  "factory" exhaust stacks with the pattern GM used on the heat shields.  If anyone has any ideas (short of attempting to drill and elongate a half million slots) I am all ears.   See below for a close up of what I am after.  Thank you.

Peace

Edited by olsbooks

Well, after JT's prompting, a couple of old CD cases have found their way as the front and back walls of a sleeper.

The major engine “plumbing” is in. Most of it is various drinking straws. Circle K straws are just right for intake piping. Pilot/Flying J straws are just a tad smaller and work good for exhaust. The “elbows” if not the bendable kind of straws, are chunks of sprues heated and bent and then wrapped tightly in wire.

One feature that has been scrapped is the plans for the lighted instrument panel like that done a couple of years ago on the 1/16 Gold Nugget W900 that worked so well. The 3 different angles of the GM instrument panel were just too much of a challenge and it was not until just moments ago a solution was figured out.  Too late now.

Plans are to start on the steering column soon with it having the “sport” model steering wheel. Those had 4 aluminum spokes and a black leather wrapped wheel. A chunk of baling wire wrapped tightly around a paint bottle and a little plastic “doo dad” I think from inside a CD drive just might work for the center and be a good starting point for the spokes. It is promising but those are famous last words.

The joys of black paint are obvious with every little speck of dust, fingerprint and scratch showing up. Oh well. Those that know my works know I dont build “show” rigs but usually go for a few years old/used but not abused. 

Two MAJOR challenges and I welcome advice on.

1. seat cushions – want OEM style

2. exhaust heat shield (the elongated style GM used)

Until next time.......

Peace

Edited by olsbooks
typo