Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carb velocity stack screens - how to make?

Could you use some of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Anti-Dust-Mesh-Anti-Dust-Mesh-for-Apple-iPhone-4-Speaker-Earpiece-and-Mic-/330729400839?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item4d01022a07

and round the end of some sprue of the right size into a "punch" that you could press into the mesh over a suitably sized hole?

bestest,

M.

Machinists use something called a "dapping block", nothing more than a steel block with shallow divots machined in to it. Basically you would need a shallow circular well and a matching punch that you would form the screen. hardwood would work for the block and any thing that would form the shape would do for the punch. I'd get the finest brass mesh you find and have at it.

Take an appropriately sized drill, and drill through a 1/4" piece of mild steel. Take drill bit out of drill, reverse drill bit and use as a punch., place screen over drilled hole, gently tap drill 'punch' into drilled hole. This will cut the screen neatly and cleanly, into the size you want, then proceed to the 'dap' stage.....'Z'

Thanks for all the tips. I will start my search for the appropriately sized screen. I have some photo-etch stainless screen I bought about 15 years ago, no clue where it is or who made it, all I know it was a bit longer than a business card. I need to try and find it or locate a new package of it.

the problem I have had trying to do this, especially in 1/24 scale, is that screen unravels when it is cut, especially when it is cut into small pieces, and also when you try to bend extreme curves into it, like you would do for some intake screens.

what you really need are either some preformed ones (I have some, forget who made them, Japanese specialty kind of brand, found em on ebay) or the mesh that is mentioned above. I have some of that as well and since it is mesh and not screen, there are no wires to unravel, it is like very thin photoetch. have cut and formed it and it holds its shape pretty well even for very small pieces with pretty extreme curvature.

the mesh is from Scale Scenics and is called Aluminum (also brass) Micro-Mesh. no size given but part number is 652-3500 for aluminum or 652-3501 for brass. reading the fine print, the brass comes pre-annealed so it flexes and bends easier and is more malleable.

jb

jb

it may have been MFH and now that I think about it, might have been for 1/20. still they are pretty small, would definitely fit a 4bbl in 1/24 or 1/25 but probably not webers or single throat sort of carbs. I was just looking around for them and as usual, cannot find. they will pop up at some inopportune moment though, I'm sure.

jb