Model Cars Magazine Forum

RRRobot! 12th Scale Rolling Robot with Pilot...Finished!

Drillin' Some Holes...

I opened up 6 Indentations in the front. I'm going to put some Screen behind most of the holes.

DSCN4286R_zps8c3bdea8.jpg

I opened 3 more Holes in the back. I also drilled Holes for the Fiber Optics...

DSCN4289R_zpsc18117f9.jpg

More Coming... B)

Egg Plate?

I think I got this tip at Show Rods.Com. Found this Egg Dish at the Dollar Store. It should be perfect for Bubble Tops & Canopies.

DSCN4283R_zps32961977.jpg

I cut out the Best looking "Bubble" with a Cut-Off Wheel.

DSCN4306R_zpse816d698.jpg

The Bubble was too big so I cut off a little more plastic. Then I put it on Sanding Block and sanded it down to fit on the front of RRRobot.

DSCN4308R_zps148f9471.jpg

More Coming... B)

Bubble Front For RRRobot!

I fit the Bubble to the Front Hatch.

DSCN4313R_zps76c5ec82.jpg

Then I removed the center section, leaving just a small area on top. The small area works like an eye lid, it can close in case of Danger!

DSCN4315R_zps3f38cd5b.jpg

Here is the Bubble in position.

DSCN4321R_zps81ca18c3.jpg

I cut 2 lengths of plastic Tubing and glued them in the Side Indentations. These will serve as reversible Hinges & Locks. I also covered the bottom of the Lower Indentation with a strip of plastic.

DSCN4350R_zpsfede269b.jpg

More Coming... B)

Strange Thing...

These are parts from a 12th scale Ferrari Engine and an X-Wing Fighter.

DSCN4300R_zps63a46eb3.jpg

I drilled a hole in the Ferrari Part and enlarged it with a reamer. I made the hole just big enough for the X-Wing Thruster to fit in.

DSCN4301R_zpsedc0396c.jpg

Then I positioned the Thruster in place and then I applied glue on the back to keep the front clean. This part will fit on the back of RRRobot.

DSCN4303R_zpsf51d5fb0.jpg

More Coming... B)

Batteries!

I found two 25th scale Batteries in the Parts Box. I cut off the bottoms so that they would be the same height.

DSCN4334R_zps3276a980.jpg

Then I glued them on the front. I positioned them so that the molded-in Wires go underneath them. I think they look like little Control Boxes with Buttons rather than Batteries now.

DSCN4346R_zps23321980.jpg

More Coming... B)

Big Arms!

These fit like Shoulder Pads and cover some of the Shoulder Detail, so I decided to carve out 2 more slots on each one. The right side shows the part after carving the slots.

DSCN4332R_zpsbbd1e2cb.jpg

Big Hands Too!

The Hands are in 2 Big pieces and the Claws are even Bigger! I cut a slot in each Hand/Half to show more of the inside details. The right side shows the carved slot.

DSCN4363R_zpsbbb9affb.jpg

More Coming... B)

Laser Claws!

These are the front halves of the Hands, where the Claws attach. I removed the bump in the end. The right side shows the modification.

DSCN4357R_zpsb3fa9b34.jpg

Perfect size for a Laser! I used a Rhinestones for the Lasers.

DSCN4358R_zps2b8e2db5.jpg

More Coming... B)

The BiG Ball Tire!

I am going the use a strip of plastic to help define the Ball Tire Shape. I started by bending the strip so it went around the Ball easier.

DSCN4414R_zps2b553196.jpg

Next I glued down part of the strip with Zap-A-Gap, Green Label.

DSCN4415R_zps6a0d1697.jpg

I cut the end of the strip to match the other end and glued it in place.

DSCN4422R_zps8c6a2325.jpg

I added 2 half round plastic shapes on the sides of the strip. I also glued 2 caps from the recycle bin in place to represent Thrusters.

DSCN4424R_zps97161805.jpg

More Coming... B)

Wet Paint!

I applied Filler/Primer to all of the parts and let them dry in the Sunshine. The lower half of RRRobot looks like Metal so I sprayed it with Tamiya Silver Leaf.

DSCN4444R_zps44e51930.jpg

The top half of RRRobot looks like it could be made from Fiberglass or maybe an exotic mix of Kelver and Graphite. I painted the top half with Testors Diamond Dust Metalflake Paint.

DSCN4439R_zpsa8a4c7da.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

RRRobot's Got Color!

I started by hand painting Vallejo Paints Flat Black with a rectangular brush. Then I started hand painting some Flat Red Vallejo Paint.

DSCN4462R_zps396f9c24.jpg

Then I added more Red. This paint covers very well and doesn't show brush strokes too much. It also wipes off with a wet Q-Tip before it dries and some small mistakes can be rubbed off with a tooth pick after it dries. After the paint dried I sprayed on a coat of Testors Glosscote.

DSCN4466R_zps2555579c.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Pick Painting!

Sometimes I have troubles trying to paint small details with a brush. So I use a Wooden Tooth Pick to apply the paint. This technique works very well for dots, like for rivets or nail heads. I use tooth picks for gluing too, very useful tool.

DSCN4471R_zpsc6a25c4b.jpg

After painting the indentations on this part, I added plastic Rhinestones, available at most craft stores.

DSCN4473R_zps26f4d4a6.jpg

More Coming... B)

More Pick Painting!

I ended up using a Toothpick for the Vents and the engraved designs on the Arm Sections. As long as there is a ridge or line to follow the toothpicks work very well. You can also use a toothpick to rub off semi-dry acrylic paint.

DSCN4479R_zpsfb81684f.jpg

More Coming... B)

Arm Details...

I cut some Brass Screen to fit the Slots I cut out earlier. Then I pushed the Screen against the inside of the Slot until it formed to the shape of the Slot. Next I glued it inside the Slot.

DSCN4683R_zpscbd614a1.jpg

Inner Arm Detail...
I sprayed the Inner Arm Part with Flat Black and the Cylinders with Vallejo's Red and Yellow. I also added a strip of Metal Studs from Auto Graphics RC Stickers.

DSCN4687R_zpsfdf45982.jpg

Upper Arm Detail...
I painted some Steel and Flat Black details. Then I added 3 strips of Metal Studs from the RC Stickers.

DSCN4691R_zps65b1e8fa.jpg

More Coming... B)