Model Cars Magazine Forum

RRRobot! 12th Scale Rolling Robot with Pilot...Finished!

Cookie Cockpit!

I cut down the Cookie Tray to fit and sprayed it Gray. Then I made copies of Dashboard & Speaker Photos and attached them inside with 2 Sided Tape. I am also using 2 Sided Tape to attach the Cockpit to the Body.

DSCN5097R_zps28216d1d.jpg

Here it is in place. I will use tape to seal the edges that don't show.

DSCN5101R_zps36b0a5c7.jpg

More Coming... B)

LIGHTS!

I started working with the Fiber Optics by cutting 11 lengths of the Fiber. I fit them inside of the Body and fit them through the Ball Hole. I'm so glad they fit.

DSCN5103R_zps188e403c.jpg

Here is a trick I tried with the Fibers. I put a Fiber close to the Flame until it started to melt or catch on fire, then I pressed down the Hot End to form a shape like a Pin or Nail Head.

DSCN5159R_zps74e7f796.jpg

If you look at the Fiber in the Top/Middle of the photo you can see the Pin Head shape I formed on the end with the candle. By making this End Shape on the Fibers I can slide the Fibers through the Holes I drilled in the Body and they will stop when the Ends touch the Holes.

DSCN5108R_zpsed5c6e09.jpg

More Coming... B)

Tunnel of Light!

I realized that after I glue half of the Top Half of the Body in place, it will be almost impossible to slide the Fibers into the small hole at the bottom of the Lower Half of RRRobot. So I decided to make a Guide for the Fibers to go into the hole. I started with a length of plastic tubing and I cut a slice out of the side.

DSCN5123R_zps790de68d.jpg

Then I glued it in place. This made it so easy to pass the Fibers through the Body into the hole.

DSCN5128R_zps62bf4d67.jpg

More Coming... B)

Stringing the Lights!

I started with the backside of the Body and pulled 5 Fibers through the front of the Holes that I drilled in the Lights. I applied 5 Minute epoxy inside to hold the Fibers in place. Then I clipped tweezers on each Fiber to hold them until the Glue Dried.

DSCN5174R_zpsb0f63c60.jpg

I did the same for the Lights in the front side of the Body. I started with 2 Fibers inside the Cockpit.

DSCN5146R_zpsd0713986.jpg

After the Epoxy Glue dried I dripped Elmer's White Glue into the Head Lights and Taillights.

DSCN5161R_zpsf4a1f5ca.jpg

More Coming... B)

All Together Now!

I pulled the Fibers from the front of the Body down through the "Tunnel". Then I glued the front of the Body to the Bottom Half of the Body. I added 2 lengths of plastic tubing in the main Body Joints and added more glue for strength.
Next I pulled the Fibers from the Bodies Backside through the "Tunnel". Then I glued the Body Halves Together.

DSCN5175R_zpsfd6ca00e.jpg

Here are the Main Body Sections all glued Together!

DSCN5179R_zpsd2dfbd2e.jpg

More Coming... B)

More Arms!

I found these Robot Arms on a Star Wars Action Figure, The Battle Droid. I bought a few of them to match up pairs of Arms.

DSCN4338R_zpsdf1aafce.jpg

I needed mounts for the Arms. The Ends of a couple of these Pens will work.

DSCN5184R_zpsfdfce433.jpg

Here they are in place.

DSCN5199R_zps104b5a0c.jpg

More Coming... B)

Hiding Under the Base!

I pulled 11 Fibers through RRRobot into the Base. Then I glued 2 plastic tubes in line with the Fibers. I ran the Fibers through the Round tubing to try to hold the Fibers flat under the Base.

DSCN5217R_zpsa0216634.jpg

Then I used a small tie strap through the square tubing to hold the Fibers tight.

DSCN5218R_zps5ff881a5.jpg

Here you can see the Fibers are taped in tubing with a LED Light in it. The Black Wire goes to the Battery and the Red Wire goes through the Switch and then to the Battery. Everything is held in with Masking Tape.

DSCN5514R_zps74b169f7.jpg

More Coming... B)

Engine Details!

I added some Hoses for the Engines. The Single Hose is from the Lost in Space Kit. The Triple Hoses are from a 12th scale Ferrari.

DSCN5223R_zps27b88f29.jpg

I made the Thrusters from the Tops off my Honey Bears and sprayed them Flat Black.

DSCN5225R_zps78982377.jpg

More Coming... B)

Engine Details!

I added some Hoses for the Engines. The Single Hose is from the Lost in Space Kit. The Triple Hoses are from a 12th scale Ferrari.

I made the Thrusters from the Tops off my Honey Bears and sprayed them Flat Black.

More Coming... B)

Ira, with you, there's always more coming!

And it's always worth the wait.

David G.

The Last Details!

I added another part from the 12th scale Ferrari to RRRobot's rear end. It's one of the axle shafts, painted Brass with a Red Wash. It's right behind the large Ferrari part with the Fan.

DSCN5191R_zps7cdd1894.jpg

This part came from the center section of the Lost in Space Kit. I cut out the center and fit it to the front of RRRobot as shown.

DSCN5408R_zpsf2765002.jpg

The Last Detail!
I made this plaque from Chrome Contact Paper and self adhesive Clear Sticker material for the Ink Jet Printer. I just need to add more Decals and do a little Touch-Up and RRRobot is Finished!

DSCN5643R_zpscf629e86.jpg

Finished RRRobot Photos Coming Soon... B)

Edited by Ira

What a fantastic creation Ira. You just continue to amaze us with your creativity and use of bits and pieces of every day items that most of us wouldn't even dream of using on a model.... Cookie trays...... Parts of pens......Tops of honey containers...... Pieces of an egg plate...... If it's not nailed down, you'll use it somewhere on a model...!!! If you're married, your wife must guard her stuff or you'll incorporate it into a model somewhere. What an imagination you've got..!!